Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jul 18, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #4,442 of 4,957
Yea. There's no harm leaving it running, but I am trying to reduce the number of devices that are acting as space heaters in my room. My PC is already releasing a lot of warm air so don't want more things raising the ambient temperature. My typical setup is Vidar2/Freya/BF2 but have now switched over to Gjallarhorn/Saga S/BF1 due to these running much cooler.

Jul 18, 2023 at 8:55 AM Post #4,443 of 4,957
It was a second hand purchase on eBay, returns not possible sadly.
I think I can just about live with it while I try a few solutions, even if they don't work. Otherwise I'll move it on and take the hit, no biggie.
To make sure there are noises from Bifrost, you can listen to it in the house of a friend or relative.

Jul 18, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #4,444 of 4,957
My Bifrost is only slightly hotter than my DarkVoice in a cramped tv stand next to a 100w amp, the amp's the coolest by a long shot. I gotta get taller legs so the amp doesn't exhaust right onto the Bifrost.

Jul 18, 2023 at 12:39 PM Post #4,445 of 4,957
My Bifrost 2/64 does not heat up at all, it is slightly warm. Why do people say that their Bifrost gets very hot?

Jul 18, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #4,446 of 4,957
Yea. There's no harm leaving it running, but I am trying to reduce the number of devices that are acting as space heaters in my room. My PC is already releasing a lot of warm air so don't want more things raising the ambient temperature. My typical setup is Vidar2/Freya/BF2 but have now switched over to Gjallarhorn/Saga S/BF1 due to these running much cooler.

I agree the 2/64 case gets warm, but I seriously doubt it is able to raise ambient temperature at all. Your PC's CPU is hitting 60+ degrees C (140+ F!) and have fans blowing out hot air into the room. The Bifrost is small and you can easily touch it no matter how warm it gets. There's no comparison.

Jul 18, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #4,447 of 4,957
Thanks for your suggestion. I pretty much decided to do what you suggested. So I did contact them through the website and got an acknowledgement. Now waiting for their response.
On occasion, people on head-fi have complained about Schiit's customer service. I can't comment on their experience, but FWIW, I had the following very good experience. While I own and really like my Bifrost 2/64, I bought a B-Stock Modius E for use in a secondary system that I plan to take on the road when I have to teach in other people's classrooms. However, the unit Schiit sent turned out to be an original Modius with the micro USB connector. For various reasons I actually wanted the Modius E, so I wrote to Schiit saying I understood someone had likely mistaken the Modius OG for a Modius E, asked for a return authorization, and whether they could give me the new Modius E for the same price I had paid for the incorrectly labeled B-Stock, given the hassle of having to return it. Early the next morning they asked for a couple of photos of the unit, verified they had sent the wrong item, apologized, and said they would send out the Modius E. After receiving the return mailer from FedEx and sending it off, they sent out the Modius E the very next day. It's now arrived. An overall very easy thing to resolve. I feel they handled the issue politely, fairly, and speedily, and I'm grateful for that!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2023 at 3:03 PM Post #4,448 of 4,957
On occasion, people on head-fi have complained about Schiit's customer service. I can't comment on their experience, but FWIW, I had the following very good experience. While I own and really like my Bifrost 2/64, I bought a B-Stock Modius E for use in a secondary system that I plan to take on the road when I have to teach in other people's classrooms. However, the unit Schiit sent turned out to be an original Modius with the micro USB connector. For various reasons I actually wanted the Modius E, so I wrote to Schiit saying I understood someone had likely mistaken the Modius OG for a Modius E, asked for a return authorization, and whether they could give me the new Modius E for the same price I had paid for the incorrectly labeled B-Stock, given the hassle of having to return it. Early the next morning they asked for a couple of photos of the unit, verified they had sent the wrong item, apologized, and said they would send out the Modius E. After receiving the return mailer from FedEx and sending it off, they sent out the Modius E the very next day. It's now arrived. An overall very easy thing to resolve. I feel they handled the issue politely, fairly, and speedily, and I'm grateful for that!
The people who complained don't have the patience. They just want things to be resolved asap.

Jul 18, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #4,449 of 4,957
My Bifrost 2/64 does not heat up at all, it is slightly warm. Why do people say that their Bifrost gets very hot?
Mine as well!!!

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:21 PM Post #4,450 of 4,957
Because they probably have a Valhalla 2 or Asgard perched on top of it. :wink:

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #4,451 of 4,957
I think it has a lot to do with the temperature of your room. If you're constantly running A/C and your room doesn't go over 72°, then of course you're not going to understand. Right now it's sweltering and I don't run A/C during the day. It's probably around 85-90° in my room (upstairs); I'm no expert but I'll bet that has a significant compounding effect on the case's ability to dissipate heat. On a cool day the case barely gets tepid but right now I can't leave my hand on it for more than 5 seconds.

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #4,452 of 4,957
I think it has a lot to do with the temperature of your room. If you're constantly running A/C and your room doesn't go over 72°, then of course you're not going to understand. Right now it's sweltering and I don't run A/C during the day. It's probably around 85-90° in my room (upstairs); I'm no expert but I'll bet that has a significant compounding effect on the case's ability to dissipate heat. On a cool day the case barely gets tepid but right now I can't leave my hand on it for more than 5 seconds.
I'm okay with not using my Bifrost 2. My room gets pretty hot during the day without AC, so I don't feel comfortable letting electronics bake in there. So far, I am happy with my recently acquired Bifrost 1 w/ Unison. The unit doesn't even get warm and sounds just as good.

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:44 AM Post #4,453 of 4,957
Because they probably have a Valhalla 2 or Asgard perched on top of it.
This should not affect the Bifrost, it does not affect its temperature.

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #4,454 of 4,957
Of course it will affect the temperature, transference. But it doesn't really matter the case on the amps/dac are heat sinks they are meant to get hot, and the case being hot, means your components aren't that hot.

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #4,455 of 4,957
It will cause the top of the Bifrost 2 to be hot because the bottom of those amps get hot... Asgard 3 has mosfets attached to the bottom of the chassis for heat dissipation. I don't have the current 2/64 unit, but perhaps they changed the transformer or some components inside to make the 2/64 run cooler. My BF2 is OG and it runs hot, so I will just leave it at that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back