Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jul 19, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #4,456 of 4,957
Of course it will affect the temperature, transference. But it doesn't really matter the case on the amps/dac are heat sinks they are meant to get hot, and the case being hot, means your components aren't that hot.
I did not immediately understand what you meant. Yes, if you put Bifrost 2/64 on a power amplifier, then it will heat up.

Jul 19, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #4,457 of 4,957
I did not immediately understand what you meant. Yes, if you put Bifrost 2/64 on a power amplifier, then it will heat up.
Also the cases (metal) are drawing the heat away from it's internal components, whether it is stacked or not. So it getting hot is a good thing.

Jul 19, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #4,458 of 4,957
It was a second hand purchase on eBay, returns not possible sadly.
I think I can just about live with it while I try a few solutions, even if they don't work. Otherwise I'll move it on and take the hit, no biggie.
I'm sure Schiit would take a look at it for you and repair it. I don't know what the cost would be, but at least it would be fixed. I know other members on here have sent items into Schiit for out of warranty repair and it wasn't that expensive.

Jul 20, 2023 at 11:32 AM Post #4,461 of 4,957
Jul 21, 2023 at 9:34 AM Post #4,462 of 4,957
An overdue upgrade. The stock BF2 RCA connectors are garbage quality.

IMG20230720192811.jpg

Jul 22, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #4,463 of 4,957
An overdue upgrade. The stock BF2 RCA connectors are garbage quality.
Agree with you on that. Have you noticed any sonic improvement? IME, higher quality connectors have made a noticeable improvement in some components, but have made little (if any) sonic difference in others.

Jul 22, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #4,464 of 4,957
I can't guarantee any results but I feel like my 2/64 is less thin or shouty in the upper mids. That could be my brain telling me these things that are not real. I just know my cables are snug and the junk tin/alum connectors are long gone. I've broken them before with KLE connectors, very thin.

Jul 24, 2023 at 5:56 PM Post #4,465 of 4,957
Between my own needs and that of family, I'm now working with three different Schiit Audio DACs: Bifrost 2/64, Modius E, and Modi+ (Modi E). Could any of you help me with the following question. Is there a recommended maximum length for the cable between the DAC and its Unison USB and the computer or other device? If you can, it would be great if you could explain why there is a maximum length (if there is) for such a USB to USB cable, whether it's USB-B to USB-A or whatever. Does cable quality make a difference to the answer--I'm assuming that it does, at least at some level. Thank you very much!

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #4,466 of 4,957
Between my own needs and that of family, I'm now working with three different Schiit Audio DACs: Bifrost 2/64, Modius E, and Modi+ (Modi E). Could any of you help me with the following question. Is there a recommended maximum length for the cable between the DAC and its Unison USB and the computer or other device? If you can, it would be great if you could explain why there is a maximum length (if there is) for such a USB to USB cable, whether it's USB-B to USB-A or whatever. Does cable quality make a difference to the answer--I'm assuming that it does, at least at some level. Thank you very much!
You typically don't want go to longer than 3 meter or there will be signal loss. As for differences in USB cables, there is an audible difference (to my ears) between a cheap 10$ tripp lite usb cable with ferrite cores and a Wireworld USB cable. The topic of cable is highly controversial so it's best to buy the cables and decide yourself.

Jul 24, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #4,469 of 4,957
You don't have to go crazy on a digital cable, a decent $20 is enough. As long as the cable isn't broken you will be fine.

Jul 25, 2023 at 12:45 AM Post #4,470 of 4,957

longer cables (~3m or 5m lengths) are more likely to have link reliability problems, e.g. host doesn't see DAC, audio dropouts, frequent disconnects/reconnects,
etc...

AFAIK, for Bifrost/Gungnir/Yggy using galvanically-isolated variant of Unison USB interface, the digital source always provides power to the Unison USB interface circuitry.

For Modius E, Modi+ (and Modi 3E predecessor to Modi+) you can get away with thinner DC power conductors in the USB cable by using the supplied AC adapter "wall wart" and matching short USB cable into the second port on the Modi+/Modius E.

If running longer lengths on Bifrost and Modi+, Modius E without wall-wart power supply attached to DAC's power port, look for USB 2.0 or 3.x rated cables with thicker (lower AWG or gauge) power conductors (e.g. 20 AWG is thicker than 22 AWG is thicker than 24 AWG etc.) Generally, USB cables with 20 AWG or thicker power conductors are difficult to find.

I have a 12ft (~4m) USB2.0 cable into Bifrost Multibit OG with Unison upgrade-- that cable is specified with "28 AWG/tp + 20 AWG/2C" where the 28AWG is the Twisted Pair USB signal lines, and 20 AWG wires are the two DC power conductors. Haven't tested a 22AWG version, but I suspect it should work OK. If not, best solution would be to re-arrange things so that a shorter USB cable can be used.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back