Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Aug 8, 2022 at 12:14 PM Post #3,017 of 4,956
Anyone using coax? Wondering if all the issues so far are via usb...

I just checked the coax input sourced from a Singxer SU-2 DDC. I played a 16/44.1 file then a 24/96 file, hearing the relay click before the start of each track. I had no issues. I also have the BF2 connected to my PC mobo's TosLink output using el-cheapo Amazon Basics optical cables and a dirt-cheap powered TosLink splitter [being a reviewer means there are multiple DACs on my desk at any given time, lol]. I have Windows 10's audio mixer set to output everything 24/96 and have no issues there either. I've been trying to replicate what has been described here and in the spreadsheet I created and I cannot get the BF2/64 to misbehave. This is not to say that those reporting problems are wrong, just that I can't trigger those faults in my system.

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #3,018 of 4,956
FYI I just got my new Bifrost 2/64 in and I am having the same distortion issues. I am using USB with Amazon Music and I am able to reproduce the issue by toggling exclusive mode or switching between my Jot2 DAC module for A/B testing. When switching the issue seems to reproduce about 50% of the time and will affect all apps. When I switch, I do not get the "clicking" noise and it should also be the same sample rate unlike what others are reporting.

Aug 8, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #3,019 of 4,956
FYI I just got my new Bifrost 2/64 in and I am having the same distortion issues. I am using USB with Amazon Music and I am able to reproduce the issue by toggling exclusive mode or switching between my Jot2 DAC module for A/B testing. When switching the issue seems to reproduce about 50% of the time and will affect all apps. When I switch, I do not get the "clicking" noise and it should also be the same sample rate unlike what others are reporting.
Seems like for the people with this issue it's pretty consistent that when the sample rate changes, they don't get the 'click' from the relay and can hear some of the digital distortion.

Has anyone with this issue been able to fix it by re-seating the board? Wondering if it's an alignment issue that can be fixed by taking it out and re-aligning it.

Aug 8, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #3,020 of 4,956
I just checked the coax input sourced from a Singxer SU-2 DDC. I played a 16/44.1 file then a 24/96 file, hearing the relay click before the start of each track. I had no issues. I also have the BF2 connected to my PC mobo's TosLink output using el-cheapo Amazon Basics optical cables and a dirt-cheap powered TosLink splitter [being a reviewer means there are multiple DACs on my desk at any given time, lol]. I have Windows 10's audio mixer set to output everything 24/96 and have no issues there either. I've been trying to replicate what has been described here and in the spreadsheet I created and I cannot get the BF2/64 to misbehave. This is not to say that those reporting problems are wrong, just that I can't trigger those faults in my system.
Just received Bifrost 2 64 upgrade yesterday. 4-5 hours on it so far with no issues. More detail throughout, but not harsh. Very happy with it so far. Board a little tricky to seat (no rails) but other than that easy. Running Tidal > Node 2i > Bifrost > Freya S. Coax into Bifrost from Node 2i. XLR out to Freya S.

Aug 8, 2022 at 4:47 PM Post #3,021 of 4,956
72 hrs since my new BF2 is connected to power and I perceive more thickness/Meat to sound as compared to day 1

Aug 8, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #3,023 of 4,956
Just got mine and hooked it up. Initial impression is quite positive. The break in has started.

Aug 8, 2022 at 6:58 PM Post #3,024 of 4,956
My new board has been breaking in for about a day .. I’m using usb from a topping M50 … all my music has been burned from cd’s .. everything I have is flac 44/16 bit … no need for relay to click

Need to find a few different files to determine if I have the same issue

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:03 PM Post #3,025 of 4,956
To understand consumer electronics problems you ideally would know the numerator, denominator, and social media forum posting % of users. We don’t know that. I have lost track in this thread, but are all of the problems reported only for the upgrade board or also for the new Bifrost 2/64?

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #3,026 of 4,956
While I still have the original BF2, there are times when I get garbled output with high sample rate, large bit count files. I use Foobar2k and would get this behavior using WASAPI event mode. Going to WASAPI push mode and those files play without issue. My 2¢
Concur with this, event mode gave me issues pre-upgrade on the higher sample rate tracks so I just switched it back to push and everything was fine.

Here I was blissfully ignorant of this new problem til someone on reddit pointed out it was an issue and sure enough I'm affected. Steps to reproduce:

1. Play a 44.1 track (plays fine and has done for days since the upgrade)
2. Play a 96k track, relay clicks and the track plays fine.
3. While playing said 96k track seek or start another 96k track and the output goes metallic.
4. Play another 44.1 track, relay clicks and it plays fine. This resets the system as it were and you can start another 96k track without distortion.

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #3,027 of 4,956
I have lost track in this thread, but are all of the problems reported only for the upgrade board or also for the new Bifrost 2/64?

The Bifrost 2/64 is the same Bifrost as before but with the new upgrade card, so it wouldn't be any different. It's probably just that there are way more upgraders so far than people that have bought a whole new DAC.

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:31 PM Post #3,028 of 4,956
Concur with this, event mode gave me issues pre-upgrade on the higher sample rate tracks so I just switched it back to push and everything was fine.

Here I was blissfully ignorant of this new problem til someone on reddit pointed out it was an issue and sure enough I'm affected. Steps to reproduce:

1. Play a 44.1 track (plays fine and has done for days since the upgrade)
2. Play a 96k track, relay clicks and the track plays fine.
3. While playing said 96k track seek or start another 96k track and the output goes metallic.
4. Play another 44.1 track, relay clicks and it plays fine. This resets the system as it were and you can start another 96k track without distortion.

If I turn on NOS mode none of this happens with 96k tracks.

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #3,029 of 4,956
If I turn on NOS mode none of this happens with 96k tracks.

Okay, very interesting. I made some progress. The issue doesn't happen if the DAC is in NOS mode. The problem is that NOS mode sounds terrible, but okay. Separate issue.

Standard mode:
48khz > 96khz, relay clicks, seek track > sound goes distorted.

NOS mode:
48khz > 96khz, relay clicks, seek track > sound remains normal. It sounds way worse (because of the lack of filter), but there is none of that tizzy distortion.

Maybe this gives some hope that the issue can be resolved via firmware?

Aug 8, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #3,030 of 4,956
The Bifrost 2/64 is the same Bifrost as before but with the new upgrade card, so it wouldn't be any different. It's probably just that there are way more upgraders so far than people that have bought a whole new DAC.
Maybe.
That is a hypothesis not a fact.
We will see.
I’m holding off on a Bifrost 2/64 purchase for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back