Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Aug 7, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #3,002 of 4,957
I've flashed the new firmware on my 2x OG Bifrost and have not experienced any of these issues, but I have not purchased the new card -- running new firmware with the old card. Is there any general consensus as to whether this is a new card issue or a new firmware issue? Has anyone that just flashed their OG Bifrost 2 and only using the OG card reported this issue?

OG card here. No issues . Though I've switched to NOS mode almost all the time as it sounds better to my system. No issues with rate change across all 3 inputs and 44.1 to 48 / 88.2 / 96 / 176.4 / 192 with NOS mode

Aug 7, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #3,003 of 4,957
Just to provide some clarity to those that think their card doesn't have the problem and so we can have more people test for it:

The issue only will happen it your Bifrost "clicks" to indicate that it has changed sample rates. But this will never happen for you if you only use your Bifrost in shared mode. So for instance, if you are listening out of Windows in shared mode (you're using the volume control on Windows to switch to/control your Bifrost), and Windows is set to output 48khz—your Bifrost will only receive 48khz data no matter what files you play. Even if you play a 192khz file, Windows will resample it down and output 48khz because in shared mode it is only going to output a uniform sample rate. This is why it is bad to use shared mode generally because it is adding a layer of digital signal processing that can degrade sound quality.

If you have an audio player that can utilize exclusive mode, you can output to your Bifrost directly and bypass this "Windows layer." I use foobar2000. So now when I play a 44.1khz file, the Bifrost receives 44.1khz. When I play a 96khz file, the Bifrost audibly clicks to indicate a sample rate change and is now receiving 96khz. This is where the problem occurs and the sound becomes distorted, something that never happened with the previous firmware and/or analog card.

Therefore, don't assume your card is working properly unless you have tested actual sample rate changes. I thought my card was fine because the vast majority of my library is 44.1, but Bifrost is supposed to be able to play up to 24/192 so this is definitely an issue that needs to be addressed.

I just stepped through a sequence playing a full track each at 16/44.1, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4 (a conversion from a DSD64), and 24/192. I used exclusive mode on Audirvana 3.5 and USB connection on a Windows 10 PC. I heard the clicking relays each time. I experienced no issues.

I agree that the number of reports is a bit concerning. I took the liberty of creating an editable Google spreadsheet to try to gather [what I think is] useful information for Schiit. Please, ALL - whether your BF2/64 is working well or not - take a moment to fill out the spreadsheet. It should only take a moment. You will need to look up your software music player version/build number and your device OS build number. There are color coded instructions for working or not working. Hopefully this will compile enough info on what works and what doesn't work in one spot that Schiit, among others, can figure out what's going on.

Spreadsheet link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hsnAilq2EunjA4RXMyhJI7mkbPirbYGFN6v3L460UQU/edit?usp=sharing

Aug 7, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #3,004 of 4,957
Still no issues here, using kodi with alsa for exclusive mode over usb. One interesting thing to note about my experience is that in my blind excitement to get this upgrade in place, I accidentally removed the usb module, forgetting it's separate from the analog section. Wonder if that had the benefit of discharging some capacitors and resetting the usb module, as it were, before I put it back in place.

I hear the relay engage when changing formats. I also never used the sd card provided by schiit. I had upgraded using the firmware downloaded from the website while I still had the old card in.

Edit: using SE outputs only so far.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 3:48 PM Post #3,006 of 4,957
How are folks feeding their preamps or active speakers? single ended or Balanced. SE for me and no issue. Could this be where the issue lives?

I thought of this variable. I use some headphones SE in/out and some XLR in/out, so I do use both. I thought, "Hmm, maybe it's only happening to SE and others are only testing balanced?" But then I played the 96khz album again and it happened exactly the same.

If it truly isn't happening for everybody, then it probably isn't the firmware. It feels like some of us just got boards with a faulty component? I would be loathe to send mine back because it just sounds so good! (When it works)

Aug 7, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #3,007 of 4,957
On an unrelated note, hey @WaveTheory can I flag something for your review (and others, too, but you're pretty good at investigating this stuff) —

If you recall, Modius used different opamps for its SE and XLR output. Bifrost previously used identical ones, LME49724 for both outputs. But now it is "LME49724 and OPA1656", and if you look on the card you see 1 OPA1656 in front of the SE-outs and 2 LME49724 in front of the XLR-outs.

I'm wondering it there is a difference in sound signatures between the two outputs now? I feel like my subjective impressions are that there is, with the results being somewhat similar to what it was for Modius. The SE-outs seem a little bit warmer and bassier with the XLR-outs being a little more "studio neutral" as you would say.

Aug 7, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #3,008 of 4,957
On an unrelated note, hey @WaveTheory can I flag something for your review (and others, too, but you're pretty good at investigating this stuff) —

If you recall, Modius used different opamps for its SE and XLR output. Bifrost previously used identical ones, LME49724 for both outputs. But now it is "LME49724 and OPA1656", and if you look on the card you see 1 OPA1656 in front of the SE-outs and 2 LME49724 in front of the XLR-outs.

I'm wondering it there is a difference in sound signatures between the two outputs now? I feel like my subjective impressions are that there is, with the results being somewhat similar to what it was for Modius. The SE-outs seem a little bit warmer and bassier with the XLR-outs being a little more "studio neutral" as you would say.

I haven't noticed that yet but I usually use the balanced out into a solid-state amp and the SE out into a tube amp. I'll be sure to do a more direct compare for the full review. The SE performance was a mild concern of mine. The OG BF2 was one of the few DACs in its class that was almost as good from SE as balanced, which I think is important, but unfortunately rare. So yes, I will give it a thorough checking.

Aug 7, 2022 at 6:07 PM Post #3,009 of 4,957
I'm not having any issues so far with mine.

Aug 7, 2022 at 6:24 PM Post #3,010 of 4,957
Hi, I’m having the same distortion when changing from 16/44 to 24/96 as well.

I received my new card 2 days ago. I first updated the firmware on the old card. I tested the new NOS feature back and forth, everything worked as it should be. I then installed the new card. I started listening an album 16/44 everything was fine. But then I change to a 24/96 and heard for the first time that distortion, specially on the highs.

To make the story short. I’m able to replicate the problem 100% of the time. I swapped the cards multiple times and the problem occurs only on the new one.

So when listening to a 16/44 and change to a 24/96 the distortion starts. I did this back and forth several times to the point that the music sounded like a 8 bit video game.

My source is a Mac Mini using Audirvāna studio. My bifrost is 2 years old and I’ve never had a problem before.

Mac>bifrost2>freyaS>2aegirs monoblock

Aug 7, 2022 at 7:02 PM Post #3,011 of 4,957
I have no doubts everyone here who is having distortion issues knows what they are doing. This isn't anyone's first go around with this hobby. I hope enough people send their dacs back so Schiit can diagnose their problem. Sooner the better. Sorry to everyone who is dealing with this.

Aug 7, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #3,012 of 4,957
Last edited:
Aug 7, 2022 at 7:18 PM Post #3,013 of 4,957
I just stepped through a sequence playing a full track each at 16/44.1, 24/48, 24/88.2, 24/96, 24/176.4 (a conversion from a DSD64), and 24/192. I used exclusive mode on Audirvana 3.5 and USB connection on a Windows 10 PC. I heard the clicking relays each time. I experienced no issues.

I agree that the number of reports is a bit concerning. I took the liberty of creating an editable Google spreadsheet to try to gather [what I think is] useful information for Schiit. Please, ALL - whether your BF2/64 is working well or not - take a moment to fill out the spreadsheet. It should only take a moment. You will need to look up your software music player version/build number and your device OS build number. There are color coded instructions for working or not working. Hopefully this will compile enough info on what works and what doesn't work in one spot that Schiit, among others, can figure out what's going on.

Spreadsheet link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hsnAilq2EunjA4RXMyhJI7mkbPirbYGFN6v3L460UQU/edit?usp=sharing
This is legit. Thanks man.

Aug 8, 2022 at 10:58 AM Post #3,015 of 4,957
I had some issues with the original Bifrost 2 (not 2/64) and WASAPI in event mode, depending on the buffer length. I recorded the audio.
Does the 2/64 problem sound like that or different?
While I still have the original BF2, there are times when I get garbled output with high sample rate, large bit count files. I use Foobar2k and would get this behavior using WASAPI event mode. Going to WASAPI push mode and those files play without issue. My 2¢

Users who are viewing this thread

Back