Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Sep 17, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #2,401 of 4,939
Have you observe it working differently with a different source? A computer or iOS device, maybe?
The day I received it, at home I did a couple hours of breakin and function tests and I had no problems with 1. USB: Laptop USB-A out to Bifrost USB-B input; nor 2. Optical: Chromecast Audio Dongle output to Bifrost optical input.
Now that the BF2 is at my workplace, I can only troubleshoot on business days but that is a good idea: I'll take a laptop and tablet in and test those on USB as well as a process of elimination to see if its my phone.

Sep 17, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #2,402 of 4,939
In Android, you can select the USB behaviour when you plug something in. Did you check that setting on your phone? Probably a long shot but you never know.
I did check the Android audio settings, and when the problems were occuring, the BF2 wasn't showing up as a connected device at all from the phone's point of view. Not sure though if the phone is to blame or the BF2.

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #2,403 of 4,939
@Bassic Needs Are you simply using Android, or also USB Audio Player Pro?

It's been a while since I tested it, but I definitely had issues with an Android phone and the Bifrost 2.

Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus (Android 9, Kernel 4.14.78)

Player: USB Audio Player Pro (5.2.8)

First file (16/44) worked, next file (24/88) produced no audio, subsequently no audio even with 16/44
Restarted phone, multiple 24/96 files worked in a row, 24/192 produced no audio, subsequently no audio even with 24/96 or 16/44
So after the first sample rate change, I lose audio. With Yggdrasil A2/Gen5, I continue to have audio after changing sample rates.
This may be a UAPP problem, my phone also often crashes if I quit UAPP with USB still connected. A crash also happened with a Holo Audio Spring, so this is not Schiit specific. Regular use does not crash this phone. I currently need to restart the phone to allow UAPP to detect when I connect a DAC for the second time.

Sep 17, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #2,404 of 4,939
Just providing my experiences with an older Android phone (Samsung S7 edge) using USB Audio Player Pro with BF2. No issues whatsoever. All my files are wav 44.1khz. I do not have issues if I unplug my phone from the usb cable and then plug it back again it will recognize the connection and play music without issue. I have also played music on my phone, stopped the song then unplug and re-plug it into another dac and that other dac recognizes the connection and plays without issue. Then I go back to BF2 and picks up seamlessly.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #2,405 of 4,939
I'm looking to upgrade from the cheapo Amazon Basics USB cable I have for my Bifrost. I'm re-arranging my desk, so I'll need something a bit longer, maybe around 4-6 feet. What nicer cables have some of you folks tried and liked? I might want something with better shielding as I have a lot going on cable wise as I clean stuff up.

Sep 19, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #2,406 of 4,939
I'm looking to upgrade from the cheapo Amazon Basics USB cable I have for my Bifrost. I'm re-arranging my desk, so I'll need something a bit longer, maybe around 4-6 feet. What nicer cables have some of you folks tried and liked? I might want something with better shielding as I have a lot going on cable wise as I clean stuff up.
I've grown fond of Wireworld in general and the Chroma 8 USB cables are my go to cables now, even though I wish I could pick a different color for the same price. And while there are numerous cables that I believe to have heard differences with, USB cables aren't among them (though I haven't tried hard, either). I have used the Amazon Basics ones as well, they appear to work just fine. The fanciest one I have is an iFi Mercury that I won. It is short, yet has three heavy "metal oxide ceramic filters" that just randomly slide around and I had some trouble with it staying connected, so... great success.

Sep 19, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #2,407 of 4,939
I have tried the low to mid tier Audioquest cables and am quite happy with them. Currently running a Carbon A-B between my MacBook and Bifrost2, it is however less “bendy” than most generic ones so I wouldn’t recommend it if one needs to route it around tight corners.

Sep 19, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #2,408 of 4,939
My Bifrost was bought 5 years ago. Consider buying an upgrade DAC with a balanced output which compatibles with Mjolnir 2. Is there any difference between the new Bifrost and Gungnir(either the old Ver. or the new Ver.)?

Sep 19, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #2,409 of 4,939
I received a Bifrost 2 today that is currently paired with an Asgard 3... Would going Bifrost 2 > Jotunheim 2 Balanced or Bifrost 2 > Lyr 3 give anything over the Bifrost 2 > Asgard 3? If I went balanced with the Jotunheim 2 I'd also go balanced with the headphones (Nighthawk, SR2, OG Clear Pro).

Sep 20, 2021 at 7:32 AM Post #2,410 of 4,939
I received a Bifrost 2 today that is currently paired with an Asgard 3... Would going Bifrost 2 > Jotunheim 2 Balanced or Bifrost 2 > Lyr 3 give anything over the Bifrost 2 > Asgard 3? If I went balanced with the Jotunheim 2 I'd also go balanced with the headphones (Nighthawk, SR2, OG Clear Pro).
I imagine this would come down to which headphone amp sounds best to you. I can't speak to the Asgard 3 or the Jotunheim 2 as I've always been partial to having a tube somewhere in the signal path, which is why I'm using the Lyr 3 and also own a Valhalla 2 and a Saga (non-Plus version). I'm interested to hear others' take on your question, especially whether going all-balanced makes more of a difference than changing amps.

Sep 20, 2021 at 9:02 AM Post #2,411 of 4,939
I don't think you could go wrong with a Pyst cable from Schiit...assuming they're in stock.

Sep 20, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #2,412 of 4,939
The monoprice monolith USB b cable is extremely good... Especially once you factor in price.
https://www.amazon.com/Monolith-USB...nolith+usb+b&qid=1632145410&sr=8-3&th=1&psc=1

Sep 20, 2021 at 12:53 PM Post #2,413 of 4,939
I did check the Android audio settings, and when the problems were occuring, the BF2 wasn't showing up as a connected device at all from the phone's point of view. Not sure though if the phone is to blame or the BF2.
Additional testing today showed me when the BF2 has just been powered on and is still cool, it will reliably detect my phone disconnecting and reconnecting via USB. However after about an hour, once the BF2 heats up it will no longer detect a USB device has been reconnected. I have tried two different USB cables as well.
The Modi 3 also on my desk has no such problem.

Sep 20, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #2,414 of 4,939
Additional testing today showed me when the BF2 has just been powered on and is still cool, it will reliably detect my phone disconnecting and reconnecting via USB. However after about an hour, once the BF2 heats up it will no longer detect a USB device has been reconnected. I have tried two different USB cables as well.
The Modi 3 also on my desk has no such problem.
cut and paste that in your service request for Schiit

Sep 20, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #2,415 of 4,939
cut and paste that in your service request for Schiit
Unfortunately that's not how Schiit's site works. There is no Service Request displayed to the user.

I am postimg my issue and the eventual resolution here. This will allow the community to better understand if a trend exists or if mine was an isolated incident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back