Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Sep 27, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #2,432 of 4,957
Make sure the BF2's input is set to where you think it should be.

Sep 27, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #2,434 of 4,957
Do the BF2's relays click at all if you change the bit rate and/or depth? That was my clue my BF wasn't set to the correct input. If you're sure your input is correct and you can't hear any relays, the BF either isn't responding or your source isn't transmitting. Good luck!

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #2,435 of 4,957
Do the BF2's relays click at all if you change the bit rate and/or depth? That was my clue my BF wasn't set to the correct input. If you're sure your input is correct and you can't hear any relays, the BF either isn't responding or your source isn't transmitting. Good luck!
I’ll try adjusting that in the system when I get home. Thanks for the advice!

Sep 27, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #2,437 of 4,957
I'm ready to upgrade from my entry level Schiit DACs. My Modi multibit has been a favorite for a long time but I also like the Modius and Modi 3. The Bifrost 2 is as high as I can go in price, I'm retired, but now the Denafrips Ares II has piqued my interest. If you were in my shoes what do you think you'd do? I use an Asgard 3 amp and Focal Clear Pro headphones. No streaming, CD playback on an Audiolab transport.

Sep 27, 2021 at 7:56 PM Post #2,438 of 4,957
I'm ready to upgrade from my entry level Schiit DACs. My Modi multibit has been a favorite for a long time but I also like the Modius and Modi 3. The Bifrost 2 is as high as I can go in price, I'm retired, but now the Denafrips Ares II has piqued my interest. If you were in my shoes what do you think you'd do? I use an Asgard 3 amp and Focal Clear Pro headphones. No streaming, CD playback on an Audiolab transport.
I honestly would pick BF2. The main reason being you can hook up two amps simultaneously with the BF2 (XLR + RCA) while the Ares 2 only supports one at a time (XLR or RCA). Also, if you are gonna use the USB input, the BF2 because the unison is a better usb implementation. I use to own both and now I have the BF2. But i eventually bought a Denafrips Pontus 2. I dont think you can go wrong with the BF2.

Sep 27, 2021 at 8:03 PM Post #2,439 of 4,957
I honestly would pick BF2. The main reason being you can hook up two amps simultaneously with the BF2 (XLR + RCA) while the Ares 2 only supports one at a time (XLR or RCA). Also, if you are gonna use the USB input, the BF2 because the unison is a better usb implementation. I use to own both and now I have the BF2. But i eventually bought a Denafrips Pontus 2. I dont think you can go wrong with the BF2.
Coax only. I'm leaning towards the Bifrost 2 because I own and have owned Schiit gear and have always been impressed with their equipment. Thanks for your input.

Sep 28, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #2,440 of 4,957
So silly. I went into Audio Midi Setup on the Mac...and the freakin mute box was checked. How does that even happen? :frowning2:

And I just ordered a Topping DAC and it's already shipped! So silly.

I guess I'll just have to do a video comparing DAC's now! lol That could be interesting I suppose...
This seems to be a somewhat common occurrence on Macs though I have no idea why it happens (I'm a victim of this, too). It's frustrating and the fix isn't exactly intuitive but I'm glad to hear you've sorted it out and can start to enjoy your BF2.

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:50 AM Post #2,441 of 4,957
So silly. I went into Audio Midi Setup on the Mac...and the freakin mute box was checked. How does that even happen? :frowning2:

And I just ordered a Topping DAC and it's already shipped! So silly.

I guess I'll just have to do a video comparing DAC's now! lol That could be interesting I suppose...
It's good we can admit to being an idiot at times. In my case, it's more like 99.9% of the time. Prime example - I thought my brand new BF2 was DOA right out of the box because I couldn't hear anything whatsoever. I swore I had the input source selected correctly, but after Schiit's customer service told me to RTFM...again, I did. Well, um...why is this LED on and not that one? After selecting the correct input, lo and behold wondrous sound! Hello, my name is Gumby. I'm an idiot.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #2,442 of 4,957
This seems to be a somewhat common occurrence on Macs though I have no idea why it happens (I'm a victim of this, too). It's frustrating and the fix isn't exactly intuitive but I'm glad to hear you've sorted it out and can start to enjoy your BF2.
I have never experienced this muself as far as I can remember (which, admittedly, may not be long) but I’ll definitely try to remember this. It’ll sure save me some frustration and nervosa when it happens :grimacing:

Sep 28, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #2,443 of 4,957
No XLR, just straight RCA to my Asgard 3. Would you still go Bifrost 2 over the Ares II just based on sound quality. Since I love what the Modi multibit does I think that the Bifrost 2 would be the next step.

Sep 28, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #2,444 of 4,957
No XLR, just straight RCA to my Asgard 3. Would you still go Bifrost 2 over the Ares II just based on sound quality. Since I love what the Modi multibit does I think that the Bifrost 2 would be the next step.
If you want to know about the sound, i think BF2 is dynamic and punchy while the Ares 2 is warm and gooey with a very laid back presentation. Since you have a SS amp, i think bf2 would suit you better as well. If you ever consider a tube amp, then the Ares 2 would sound pair better.

Sep 28, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #2,445 of 4,957
It's good we can admit to being an idiot at times. In my case, it's more like 99.9% of the time. Prime example - I thought my brand new BF2 was DOA right out of the box because I couldn't hear anything whatsoever. I swore I had the input source selected correctly, but after Schiit's customer service told me to RTFM...again, I did. Well, um...why is this LED on and not that one? After selecting the correct input, lo and behold wondrous sound! Hello, my name is Gumby. I'm an idiot.
One thing that both the Modi Multibit and Bifrost 2 do (and not the Yggdrasil, I think, but I have to double check) is to move to the next input when losing the USB input. So if USB is the correct input in your case, it's quite possible that you had indeed USB selected, but maybe swapped cables or did something else that interrupted connectivity and *click* it's TOSLINK time.

Edit: I'm wrong, it's just that you can't select USB as the source on the Modi Multibit until there's a connection, but it stays on it even when removing the cable.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back