Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Oct 8, 2020 at 3:24 PM Post #1,306 of 4,939
New here. I recently got a pair of Focal Clear’s but now thinking about upgrading my front end.

I’ve pretty much decided on the Bifrost 2 but not really sure what amp to pair it with. Asgard 3, Jot, or Lyr 3 are on the mind. I like the matching case and integrated power transformer.

Asgard 3 seems like an insane bargain at $199. Jot interest me as I have balanced cables already, I’ve heard some call the Jot long in the tooth but others seem to really enjoy it. I’ve never used tubes so both curious and scared of the Lyr 3 haha...

I listen to a lot of genres. But lately been rediscovering classic rock. I grew up listening to a lot with my parents but already hearing more than I did before. Hearing those tracks I know but more is very exciting and I guess why I’m hunting for more.

When I started down this rabbit hole I thought all I cared about was detail. Just give me more detail! But now I realize how much I care about soundstage, tone and timbre as well. I used to play piano and guitar so hearing them accurately reproduced is very satisfying.

If anyone has any advice I’d appreciate it!

Oct 8, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #1,307 of 4,939
New here. I recently got a pair of Focal Clear’s but now thinking about upgrading my front end.

I’ve pretty much decided on the Bifrost 2 but not really sure what amp to pair it with. Asgard 3, Jot, or Lyr 3 are on the mind. I like the matching case and integrated power transformer.

Asgard 3 seems like an insane bargain at $199. Jot interest me as I have balanced cables already, I’ve heard some call the Jot long in the tooth but others seem to really enjoy it. I’ve never used tubes so both curious and scared of the Lyr 3 haha...

I listen to a lot of genres. But lately been rediscovering classic rock. I grew up listening to a lot with my parents but already hearing more than I did before. Hearing those tracks I know but more is very exciting and I guess why I’m hunting for more.

When I started down this rabbit hole I thought all I cared about was detail. Just give me more detail! But now I realize how much I care about soundstage, tone and timbre as well. I used to play piano and guitar so hearing them accurately reproduced is very satisfying.

If anyone has any advice I’d appreciate it!

If you don't mind sacrificing the balanced aspect - I recommend the Lyr 3 - tube rolling is much easier than it seems, and 6SN7 is just about the most popular / most produced pre-amp tube type - so no shortage of options and information available.

Sonically - the Lyr 3 blew my Asgard 2 out of the water (not to knock the Asgard, it is one of the best sub 300 dollar class A amps ever made imo) - I can listen at higher volumes, and to a greater variety of music. Detail retrieval is improved, and soundstage is larger imo. All the audiophile tropes proved relevant in this case.

I hear something new every day in music I thought I knew... My current chain is Bifrost 2 (USB) --> Lyr 3 --> HD800S

Hope this helps :)

Oct 8, 2020 at 8:41 PM Post #1,308 of 4,939
This is indeed a beast of a setup. Bifrost 2 gives Asgard 3 that extra kick to really be synergistic with HD650/HD600

It might seem weird to pair a $700 dac that has xlr to a 199.99 SE amp.. but it's not

I agree it’s great. But I see why it might seem strange. In my case I bought it incorporate it into my future balanced 2-channel set-up (which is currently being assembled slowly). It is definitely a step up from Modi 3 in this chain. I was surprised how many people have the same set-up as us, though!

Oct 8, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #1,309 of 4,939
If you don't mind sacrificing the balanced aspect - I recommend the Lyr 3 - tube rolling is much easier than it seems, and 6SN7 is just about the most popular / most produced pre-amp tube type - so no shortage of options and information available.

Sonically - the Lyr 3 blew my Asgard 2 out of the water (not to knock the Asgard, it is one of the best sub 300 dollar class A amps ever made imo) - I can listen at higher volumes, and to a greater variety of music. Detail retrieval is improved, and soundstage is larger imo. All the audiophile tropes proved relevant in this case.

I hear something new every day in music I thought I knew... My current chain is Bifrost 2 (USB) --> Lyr 3 --> HD800S

Hope this helps :)

It does help, thank you. I don't think it's changing the tubes that scares me it's the fact that it's a whole new rabbit hole to dive down. Can be fun but also time consuming!

Oct 10, 2020 at 10:11 AM Post #1,310 of 4,939
Hi all, just got the Bifrost 2 and the Macbook can't detect it when connected to USB. Macbook running OS X 10.11.6 using PYST USB cable, so it meets the minimum requirements. Amp is a BH Crack. Macbook USB works perfectly with Modi MB and with Eitr + Modi MB. Bifrost 2 also works when using Eitr in between. Bifrost 2 also works when connected to Iphone 8 via CCK and PYST USB cable... I'm done racking my brains as to why it wont work with the Macbook via USB...

Any of you encounter this? Already turned off app nap, maybe an external powered hub perhaps? But it kinda defeats the purpose of unison.

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #1,312 of 4,939
Hi all, just got the Bifrost 2 and the Macbook can't detect it when connected to USB. Macbook running OS X 10.11.6 using PYST USB cable, so it meets the minimum requirements. Amp is a BH Crack. Macbook USB works perfectly with Modi MB and with Eitr + Modi MB. Bifrost 2 also works when using Eitr in between. Bifrost 2 also works when connected to Iphone 8 via CCK and PYST USB cable... I'm done racking my brains as to why it wont work with the Macbook via USB...

Any of you encounter this? Already turned off app nap, maybe an external powered hub perhaps? But it kinda defeats the purpose of unison.
In the tool bar at the top when you tap on the speaker icon does it show Shiit Multibit as one of your options and it should gray out the speaker icon when selected had the issue once a simple reconect of the usb fixed it.

Oct 10, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #1,313 of 4,939
Last edited:
Oct 10, 2020 at 11:59 AM Post #1,314 of 4,939
Not a Mac owner, but I found these to links on Schiit's site...

https://www.schiit.com/guides/dac-problems

https://www.schiit.com/guides/usb-problems

They have a few Mac related pointers.

Thanks, tried them including turning off app nap. no bueno. Can't seem to get unison detected by the mac. but the Iphone can connect fine. Weird problem, as it should work. No problems using is with Eitr...

In the tool bar at the top when you tap on the speaker icon does it show Shiit Multibit as one of your options and it should gray out the speaker icon when selected had the issue once a simple reconect of the usb fixed it.

The Bifrost 2 wont show in the options, unlike the Eitr and Modi MB.

Oct 10, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #1,315 of 4,939

Try a different USB cable. I had trouble with the first one. If you have multiple available USB ports on the conputer, try another port.

Oct 10, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #1,316 of 4,939
Try a different USB cable. I had trouble with the first one. If you have multiple available USB ports on the conputer, try another port.

did that already, looks like it just does not want to jive with this old macbook. switching ports and cables.. but it does work with an iphone via cck adapter and a windows computer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back