Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Oct 5, 2020 at 5:01 AM Post #1,292 of 4,957
So I've now had the Bifrost2 for about 5 days, left it on since powering it up out of the box.

I'm using Tidal on MacBook Pro->USB to the Bifrost->Asgard3-> CA Cascade. Sounds brilliant, definitely not as harsh, esp in the treble, as day one. I've also invested in SoundSource, great EQ and audio management for the Mac.

So do I just leave it on 24/7 from now on? If I turn it off will it have to 'burn-in' again?

Also what's the consensus on using UnisonUSB input vs SPDIF?
Can I expect better SQ if I use a dedicated streamer like a DigiOne or Pi2AES?

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:08 AM Post #1,293 of 4,957
So I've now had the Bifrost2 for about 5 days, left it on since powering it up out of the box.

I'm using Tidal on MacBook Pro->USB to the Bifrost->Asgard3-> CA Cascade. Sounds brilliant, definitely not as harsh, esp in the treble, as day one. I've also invested in SoundSource, great EQ and audio management for the Mac.

So do I just leave it on 24/7 from now on? If I turn it off will it have to 'burn-in' again?

Also what's the consensus on using UnisonUSB input vs SPDIF?
Can I expect better SQ if I use a dedicated streamer like a DigiOne or Pi2AES?
They do need to reach a particular thermal stability to perform at their best but with Bifrost you don't have to wait like Yagg or Gungnir. It will sound at its best within 2-3 hrs.
Yes, Digione or Pi2AES will give you definite improvement. But do note Digione will need LPS or 18650 battery for tighter bass and improved sound.

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #1,295 of 4,957
Hello,

I'm new, just joined today. Not new to audio but new to headphones, at least for serious listening on a regular basis and I've never owned a headphone amp.
Ordered my first, I guess what might be considered entry-level headphones from Drop the other day. Maybe I'm taking a backwards approach but I'm looking at DACs first (Bifrost) and considering what amp to pair it with. This rig would be for desktop not part of my main system. The 9 x 6ish x 2 ish footprint is ideal for my desktop area. My desk area could accommodate a larger footprint but I'm still in evaluation/decision mode.

I'm not very familiar with the forum at this point, so I thought I'd start here to get some ideas on how others are configuring their Schiit.

Oct 6, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #1,296 of 4,957
Hello,

I'm new, just joined today. Not new to audio but new to headphones, at least for serious listening on a regular basis and I've never owned a headphone amp.
Ordered my first, I guess what might be considered entry-level headphones from Drop the other day. Maybe I'm taking a backwards approach but I'm looking at DACs first (Bifrost) and considering what amp to pair it with. This rig would be for desktop not part of my main system. The 9 x 6ish x 2 ish footprint is ideal for my desktop area. My desk area could accommodate a larger footprint but I'm still in evaluation/decision mode.

I'm not very familiar with the forum at this point, so I thought I'd start here to get some ideas on how others are configuring their Schiit.

First of all, welcome! You'll find schiitloads of good information, opinion, and everything in between. To help give recommendations, what type of headphones did you get? That will play a huge role in what amp will work well with them. I would recommend perusing Jason Stoddard's thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...f-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/ for some good reading!

Have fun!

Oct 6, 2020 at 4:18 PM Post #1,297 of 4,957
First of all, welcome! You'll find schiitloads of good information, opinion, and everything in between. To help give recommendations, what type of headphones did you get? That will play a huge role in what amp will work well with them. I would recommend perusing Jason Stoddard's thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...f-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/ for some good reading!

Have fun!

Thanks for the welcome. I ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD 6XX's. I also posted in the Schiit Owners Unite thread but I will definitely check out Jason's thread.

Thanks again.

Oct 7, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #1,298 of 4,957
Thanks for the welcome. I ordered a pair of Sennheiser HD 6XX's. I also posted in the Schiit Owners Unite thread but I will definitely check out Jason's thread.

Thanks again.
Welcome! Almost unanimously, people recommend tube amps for the HD 6__ line. So, probably the easiest recommendation would be a Schiit Valhalla(?) if you're like me and into keeping your desk looking nice and clean with all your Schiit and also, like me, love the company. I had a Lyr 2 for a long time but that's a hybrid and wouldn't give you as much tuby-ness. If you wanna go solid state, I've been drooling over the new Asgard. My 2 cents.

Oct 7, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #1,299 of 4,957
Welcome! Almost unanimously, people recommend tube amps for the HD 6__ line. So, probably the easiest recommendation would be a Schiit Valhalla(?) if you're like me and into keeping your desk looking nice and clean with all your Schiit and also, like me, love the company. I had a Lyr 2 for a long time but that's a hybrid and wouldn't give you as much tuby-ness. If you wanna go solid state, I've been drooling over the new Asgard. My 2 cents.
I can recommend the BiFrost 2 > Asgard 3 > HD6xx chain! I love the combo, although I’m really curious about trying an OTL tube amp with these someday

Oct 7, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #1,300 of 4,957
I can recommend the BiFrost 2 > Asgard 3 > HD6xx chain! I love the combo, although I’m really curious about trying an OTL tube amp with these someday

This is indeed a beast of a setup. Bifrost 2 gives Asgard 3 that extra kick to really be synergistic with HD650/HD600

It might seem weird to pair a $700 dac that has xlr to a 199.99 SE amp.. but it's not

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 1:29 AM Post #1,301 of 4,957
This is indeed a beast of a setup. Bifrost 2 gives Asgard 3 that extra kick to really be synergistic with HD650/HD600

It might seem weird to pair a $700 dac that has xlr to a 199.99 SE amp.. but it's not
Not so weird, actually, although I did spend an almost agonising amount of time studying this before settling on BF2->A3 stack for my first desktop setup.

For me, I just wanted to keep this first purchase a bit simple, and avoid the distraction and $$ of XLR cables and Tubes. Again, I'm still kinda new to this, so those $$ are better spent on headphones in my case..

Also both are fairly young in their release cycle, and while there is always something 'better' you can chase, I feel this is a system I can get quite a lot of enjoyment out of before feeling any desire to upgrade (famous last words, i know..)

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #1,302 of 4,957
I too can attest to the sonic pleasantness of the Bifrost 2 / Asgard 3 combination—although I’m sure you’ll find just as many users ready to swear by the Bifrost 2 / Lyr 3 setup.

I ended up replacing the Asgard 3 with a Jotunheim to satisfy my long-standing craving for a balanced chain, and it turned out the Jotunheim better aligns to my preferred sound signature. I’m surprised, however, to see so few users singing the praise of this combination—and to think they wanted “cheap-ass balanced” on the Bifrost 2 specifically to have a Jotunheim-sized balanced DAC to stack on top of it!

Oct 8, 2020 at 4:18 AM Post #1,303 of 4,957
I too can attest to the sonic pleasantness of the Bifrost 2 / Asgard 3 combination—although I’m sure you’ll find just as many users ready to swear by the Bifrost 2 / Lyr 3 setup.

I ended up replacing the Asgard 3 with a Jotunheim to satisfy my long-standing craving for a balanced chain, and it turned out the Jotunheim better aligns to my preferred sound signature. I’m surprised, however, to see so few users singing the praise of this combination—and to think they wanted “cheap-ass balanced” on the Bifrost 2 specifically to have a Jotunheim-sized balanced DAC to stack on top of it!

Any chance you have some impressions on Jot vs Asgard 3 with 650? I've toyed with getting a JOT as my other 2 amps are tube amps and like to have a good SS around.

Oct 8, 2020 at 4:45 AM Post #1,304 of 4,957
Alas, I haven’t really used the HD650 with either amp—been running Focal cans ever since I bought the Asgard 3.

Asgard 3 is closer to the archetypical “audiophile” sound signature, warm and laid back. Jotunheim is colder and more in-your-face, with IMHO better instrument separation than Asgard 3, but I get why some would prefer the warmer presentation of the latter.

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #1,305 of 4,957

I was just about to write exactly that :smile:
That BF2/Lyr3 is a great combo too, I mean :smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back