Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jul 14, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #1,216 of 4,957
Very roughly, the Bifrost 2 is only a bit behind Yggy. Slightly more closed-in sounding with less bite in the treble. One might consider it a very slight touch warm and euphonic, but I consider it to sit at the perfect mid-point between sounding "dry" and "liquid", ie: musical without having to revert to adding even-order harmonic distortion or the like. The difference is maybe more noticeable on speakers than on headphones. Since you're always going to be passing the signal through an amp (and cables) a bit of the difference will be lost between both DACs with any amp, so my thinking is that the jump up to Yggy might be more "worth it" if you have a correspondingly high-end set-up (and like listening to excellent-quality recordings) where you'll notice the difference.

Jul 18, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #1,217 of 4,957
Anyone using the BF/BF2 with their 2-channel hifi system?

I use Bifrost 2 almost exclusively for 2 ch. It's quite excellent.

A majority of my Bifrost 2 comments come from 2 ch.

multibit... it’s clear the bf1 is the weak part in my current chain so would like a clear step up. My concern is that I give 0 fugs about the usb improvement do not sure BF2 is that much of an upgrade. Everything I read about the mhdt orchid is that is punches above it’s weight too.

I put a long write up a ways back on this very thread, regarding what I thought about Bifrost 2 compared to Bifrost 4490, and modi multibit.

Those thoughts were primarily attained from Toslink listening. I had a really crappy USB source at the time (Google pixels) and even Unison couldn't save the soundstage/depth/imaging from those phones....

So if you search back to December 2019/Jan 2020 on this thread you will find my thoughts.

Bifrost 2 is very nice, in my opinion. Everyones personal opinion of what constitues a night and day difference is highly subjective.

I think Bifrost 2 is very nice and is a definite improvement over modi multibit, Bifrost 4490 and modi 3.

Bifrost 2 beats the best of each of those dacs, and has no faults or weaknesses as far as I can tell.

Is it worth the price difference? To me, yes it's very much worth the extra sheckels. But only you, your ears, & your financial sensibilities can make that decision for yourself.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #1,218 of 4,957
Has anyone tried using this with USB Audio Player Pro on Android? When I try to play something it cuts out after about 5 seconds and the bifrost sounds like it switches back on. This happening to anyone?

I have it attached to a USB hub which is connected to a Galaxy S10.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #1,219 of 4,957
Has anyone tried using this with USB Audio Player Pro on Android? When I try to play something it cuts out after about 5 seconds and the bifrost sounds like it switches back on. This happening to anyone?

I have it attached to a USB hub which is connected to a Galaxy S10.
The click might be the muting relay. Normally it would click when switching sampling rates.

Jul 28, 2020 at 8:50 PM Post #1,220 of 4,957
The click might be the muting relay. Normally it would click when switching sampling rates.
Thanks, I just isolated it to the USB hub that I was using. If I connect the bifrost directly to a computer it plays fine. If I try connecting through the hub, the audio cuts out after a few seconds of playing, similar to what I was seeing when playing through my phone.

Now to find a USB hub that works with this.

Jul 29, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #1,221 of 4,957
Thanks, I just isolated it to the USB hub that I was using. If I connect the bifrost directly to a computer it plays fine. If I try connecting through the hub, the audio cuts out after a few seconds of playing, similar to what I was seeing when playing through my phone.

Now to find a USB hub that works with this.
Try to use a powered USB Hub, it’s helped me a bunch.

Jul 29, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #1,222 of 4,957
Anyone else have issues with Windows forgetting Bifrost 2? More often than not, when I turn on Bifrost 2, Windows can't find it. When I plug out the USB cable and plug it back in, everything is normal again.

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #1,224 of 4,957
Anyone else have issues with Windows forgetting Bifrost 2? More often than not, when I turn on Bifrost 2, Windows can't find it. When I plug out the USB cable and plug it back in, everything is normal again.
This hasn’t happened with mine. But I also don’t turn it off.
USB issues are really strange because there are quite a few points of failure and most have nothing to do with the end device.

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #1,225 of 4,957
Jul 29, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #1,226 of 4,957
Solution: Never turn it off
This. Doesn't Schitt strongly recommend leaving their multibit DACs on all the time? I believe this is because it takes them several hours to warm up to thermal equilibrium, and they sound their best when they are at thermal equilibrium.

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #1,227 of 4,957
GEEK ALERT!!!!

Interesting. If it continues to be an issue, this might be a work-around.

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P7bZSAS
As a geek, I actually found that interesting. I didn't know about DevCon (not to be confused with ComicCon, SantaCon, etc. :o2smile:). Unfortunately, it isn't something that automatically keeps a device connected. It's more like you notice something is disconnected and you can manually run a command to restart the connection (without unplugging the cable).

Jul 29, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #1,228 of 4,957
Yes, but if your layout is anything like mine, reaching either USB cable end to unplug is a pain. I keep mine powered on 24x7, so never experienced the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back