Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jul 3, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #1,186 of 4,957
from what I read Mimby's primary issue is USB noise. Will USB to coax conversion help?

Jul 3, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #1,187 of 4,957
I would say Mimby's USB noise is no worse than other USB-based DAC in the price range, however...

Absolutely!! A Schiit EITR (on B stock now, so pounce) is a wonderful pairing with Mimby. Prior to my move to Bifrost 2, that pairing served me admirably as well as many others here.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #1,188 of 4,957
for me, modi 3 just doesnt make the cut.
I bought modi 3, didnt find it improve the sound over my CXA80 amplifier's inbuilt DAC (Hifi), then bought Topping E90. It is vastly better than Modi3. Then I went Modi multibit route, found it much smoother and holographic. (Yes I returned others)

Now I'm still debating BF2 or modi multibit. The extra bass is simply filled by Loki. Is the wider soundstage and more detailed highs alone worth the extra $450? Or is it better spent upgrading power amp to Schiit Vidar or XTZ edge?
Loki will only increase bass amplitude but not detail, quality, and texture. Bass quality is one of the key areas that BF2 really shines.

Jul 3, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #1,189 of 4,957
Loki will only increase bass amplitude but not detail, quality, and texture. Bass quality is one of the key areas that BF2 really shines.
I agree. More tracks I use, more I'm convinced it's hard to go back to Mimby 😛

Jul 3, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #1,190 of 4,957
BF2 is so good, I've removed my Loki from my primary HP rig and moved it to my 2-channel rig to help with poorly mastered LPs.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2020 at 10:47 PM Post #1,191 of 4,957
BF2 is so good, I've removed my Loki from my primary HP rig and moved it to my 2-channel rig to help with poorly mastered LPs.
I'll agree with you. I no longer engage Loki with bimby

Jul 5, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #1,193 of 4,957
I'll agree with you. I no longer engage Loki with bimby

For some reason, I feel like my headphones respond a little better to the Loki with my BF2. Really brings out the best.

I'm enjoying the BF2 more and more as I continue to listen to it. Watching movies with it is also a great experience. Such great imaging, smoothness, and bass detail.

Jul 5, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #1,194 of 4,957
I would say Mimby's USB noise is no worse than other USB-based DAC in the price range, however...

Absolutely!! A Schiit EITR (on B stock now, so pounce) is a wonderful pairing with Mimby. Prior to my move to Bifrost 2, that pairing served me admirably as well as many others here.
Been there and done that, and completely agree.

Jul 5, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #1,195 of 4,957
Agreed. That's why I think we will not see a Multibit Modius. Could we see an update to Modi Multibit in the current small form-factor? Sure, but I think Modius was more to provide a lower price mid-size form-factor DAC for those owning an Asgard, Jot, or even Lyr 3 that wanted a lower than BF2 priced DAC and would match and stack. It seems they WAY OVER DELIVERED with Modius!! :D

If there’s something I’ve seen during my time as Schiit-head, it’s that if they can do something to challenge the market and deliver amazing value for the dollar, they will. This was probably planned all the way :smiley:
:beerchug:

Jul 5, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #1,196 of 4,957
If there’s something I’ve seen during my time as Schiit-head, it’s that if they can do something to challenge the market and deliver amazing value for the dollar, they will. This was probably planned all the way :smiley:
:beerchug:
They make some really high value products - I don't think I've heard a tube amp even close to Valhalla 2 near that price point for example...

Jul 5, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #1,197 of 4,957
I'd say try it both ways, and let us know your thoughts! :)

With this track, the mid-range is much more fuller and forward and the soundstage is much larger with Unison.

With Roon, I grouped the zones of the Eitr and Unison USB and used the front panel button to switch back and forth while the track played. The source was FLAC from my own library, not Tidal or some other web-based streaming.

It ran for 6 hours before attempting to compare.

Both were plugged into my Gigabyte motherboard's designated DAC-UP ports which have supposedly lower noise and more linear power to deliver for audio equipment.

https://www.gigabyte.com/mb/100-gaming/Audio
Clean, low-noise power for your Digital-to-Analog Audio converter

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #1,198 of 4,957
With this track, the mid-range is much more fuller and forward and the soundstage is much larger with Unison.

With Roon, I grouped the zones of the Eitr and Unison USB and used the front panel button to switch back and forth while the track played. The source was FLAC from my own library, not Tidal or some other web-based streaming.

It ran for 6 hours before attempting to compare.

Both were plugged into my Gigabyte motherboard's designated DAC-UP ports which have supposedly lower noise and more linear power to deliver for audio equipment.

https://www.gigabyte.com/mb/100-gaming/Audio

I have the same motherboard for my HTPC. What is your conclusion?

Jul 6, 2020 at 9:04 AM Post #1,199 of 4,957
How does the bifrost 2 compare to the yggdrasil soundwise?

Seems to be a question no one wants to answer? I would love a comparison of Yggdrasil A2 vs. BF2, both fed by Unison USB, both using SE outputs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back