Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jun 25, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #1,126 of 4,957
That's pretty crazy that he put the $699 Bifrost 2 on the same Top 10 list as the $68,500 dCS Vivaldi (w/ Upsampler and Master Clock) and the $114,400 MSB Select DAC (w/ FEMTO 33 Clock and 2x Mono Powerbases)!! :astonished::money_mouth:

Can't wait for mine to finally get here!! :L3000:
And MB Gungnir A2 didn't make the list. I've been wondering where BF2 falls relative to MB Gungnir A2.

Jun 25, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #1,127 of 4,957
And MB Gungnir A2 didn't make the list. I've been wondering where BF2 falls relative to MB Gungnir A2.
I noticed that too, and I think the main reason it didn't make his list is not that it isn't a great sounding DAC, but because the Bifrost 2 represents the biggest bang-for-your-buck value in Schiit's DAC lineup and the Yggy obviously represents their top-of-the-line DAC. Since there were only 10 spots on the list, the fact that Schiit got two of them is pretty damn impressive on it's own. And any owner of the Gungnir Multibit already knows that it's every bit as great sounding of a DAC as the Bifrost 2 and Yggdrasil.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #1,128 of 4,957
I have a different view why GMB A2 didn’t make his list. The only downside with using a GMB A2 is that IMO, you have less choices of downstream gears since it has a leaner tonality in the bass region than both Yggdrasil A2 and BF2 thus can sound overly thin with certain amp and speaker combination in the chain. I would kinda want to pair speakers with a mid-bass emphasis in the 100-250 Hz to extract the micro-details and micro-dynamics that is unique to GMB A2’s sonic presentation in the bass region

Jun 25, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #1,129 of 4,957
I just set up my Bifrost 2. Black unit on B-stock, looks really nice like my silver Schiit.

Just playing Tool on Spotify, out to Jot, to my cheap speaker amp and desktop speakers. It sounds quite good so far. I'm not doing critical listening right away but I think it's going to be impressive.

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #1,131 of 4,957
I know it's just an aesthetic thing but the remote sensor being so far below the opening does drive me a little nuts. Does anyone else have a remote sensor like this?

Attachments

• IMG-6263.jpg
    IMG-6263.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Jun 26, 2020 at 7:49 PM Post #1,133 of 4,957
I know it's just an aesthetic thing but the remote sensor being so far below the opening does drive me a little nuts. Does anyone else have a remote sensor like this?
Mine looks the same and I've heard others report theirs is the same too.

Jun 27, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #1,136 of 4,957
Well, the remote works perfectly so I can't complain. The exceptional sound makes up for the less than perfect build quality.
This looks like a part change after the design of the front panel. If you look closely at the circuit board picture, you’ll see the IR module they are using has a cylindrical front with rounded top instead of the normal LED profile which could fill the hole. Having said that, could they have mounted it a bit higher so that the hole is covered? Quite likely, but it will never fit in the hole.

Jun 28, 2020 at 3:41 PM Post #1,138 of 4,957
howdy... I'm interested in the Bifrost 2 and currently have the BF1. I'm considering the following Dac upgrades from the BF1:

rme adi-2 dac
denafrips ares ii
topping d90
holoaudio spring 2 lvl 2 or spring 1 KTE
bryston bda-2
mhdt orchid
bel canto dac 3.5vb mk2

Essentially in the $700 - $1400 range looking for a DAC that is near "end-game" which I understand is completely subjective. Does the BF2 hold up to some of the more expensive options on this list or should I just bit the bullet and go for quality at the higher price point?

I use USB like .05% of the time but DAP -> Coax like 99.5% of the time so the USB improvements mean near 0 for me.

I prefer a warmer sound signature and am extremely sensitive to sibilance/harsh highs. Looking for something that will scale nicely with higher end gear that I can throw at it in the future (e.g. Nimbus, xi audio formula s).

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #1,139 of 4,957
Cross off RME, D90 on your list since those are thin sounding in the mids and upper mids. Not sure about the bryston-bda 2, MHDT and Holo Audio. With Denafrips, just use NOS mode only as NOS normally rolls off in the top-most range. I consider BF2 as neutral DAC (not necessarily warm) since it does not tame the highs rather if your source is just bright, BF2 will sound bright and would present treble in a crappy way, but should not sound aggressive or fatiguing. To have the least amount of sibilance/harsh highs, definitely go with something like Chord Mojo since it's the smoothest sounding DAC I've heard in your price range. Normally high end DACs DO NOT try to hide flaws in recording and will sound more open, refined and engaging. I'd suggest trying the Schiit Modius first as I've read impressions that it's a warm and smooth sounding DAC. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...-199-balanced-ak4493-dac.933895/post-15699142

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #1,140 of 4,957
Cross off RME, D90 on your list since those are thin sounding in the mids and upper mids. Not sure about the bryston-bda 2, MHDT and Holo Audio. With Denafrips, just use NOS mode only as NOS normally rolls off in the top-most range. I consider BF2 as neutral DAC (not necessarily warm) since it does not tame the highs rather if your source is just bright, BF2 will sound bright and would present treble in a crappy way, but should not sound aggressive or fatiguing. To have the least amount of sibilance/harsh highs, definitely go with something like Chord Mojo since it's the smoothest sounding DAC I've heard in your price range. Normally high end DACs DO NOT try to hide flaws in recording and will sound more open, refined and engaging. I'd suggest trying the Schiit Modius first as I've read impressions that it's a warm and smooth sounding DAC. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...-199-balanced-ak4493-dac.933895/post-15699142
Second the Modius. I usually go for multibit DACs but the Modius is something special. I'm using the balanced outputs with a Rupert Neve headphone amp and I'm done buying DACs. Schiit has a 15 day return policy or you can flip it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back