Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Sep 10, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #31 of 4,956
So I'm confused.

On paper this thing seems to be "better" than both Yiggy and Gumby. Yiggy got its A2 treatment and I assume Unison is coming. Why all the silence on Gumby? I mean you'd be a fool to buy it after Bimby2 has been announced.

Has anyone compared Bimby2 vs. Y2? Gumby? Impressions?

Does Unison require Win10 or better as we were told?

Sep 10, 2019 at 1:39 PM Post #33 of 4,956
A recent reply from Jason regarding a possible upgrade to Jotunheim:

We're always working on something new, but upgrading Jotunheim in any meaningful way is very difficult. The Jotunheim R that we're doing for Raal headphones (direct drive for ultra-low-impedance ribbon headphones) uses the Nexus™ topology, but also ends up costing a lot more due to matched parts, heatsinks, current sensing and thermal shutdown (stuff really only needed for this insane application), and shorter runs. If we can figure out how to do a Nexus Jotunheim 2 in the future and hold the price, sure, but it ain't gonna happen overnight.

Bottom line, Jotunheim already provides insane, insane performance (have you seen the 170+ pages of AP reports we have on it on the site?)

Sep 10, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #36 of 4,956
Linear amplifiers seem to be the new best thing as far as amplification tech goes. I don't think I can hold off and wait, though. Gyah! I'm getting a Jotunheim and sticking with it, dang it.

Bifrost 2 has a lot of the features that Yggdrasil and Gungnir Multibit have, except it doesn't seem to feature Adapticlock. I wonder how much of a difference that makes.

Sep 12, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #37 of 4,956
Upgraded from a Modi Multibit being fed with Eitr (due to the somewhat luckluster USB implementation on the Modi) because I'd been curious to do a balanced connection into my THX AAA 789 amplifier. Switching back and forth, noticing increased bass slam and blacker background with Bifrost 2. Just a cleaner, more precise sound. Plus I prefer the black finish which better suits my setup. Very happy thus far!

qgQtp2N.jpg

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #38 of 4,956
So I'm confused.

On paper this thing seems to be "better" than both Yiggy and Gumby. Yiggy got its A2 treatment and I assume Unison is coming. Why all the silence on Gumby? I mean you'd be a fool to buy it after Bimby2 has been announced.

Has anyone compared Bimby2 vs. Y2? Gumby? Impressions?

Does Unison require Win10 or better as we were told?
I guess Unison upgrade for Gumby will be available from Jan 2020. However we have to send it back to Schiit.

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #39 of 4,956
So Unison is better than S/PDIF? Also... can you put a Mjolnir2 on top of the Bifrost centered on it? I really don't want insane amount of clutter from XLR cables. Or even better, can the Bifrost sit on the leftern most side of the Mjolnir?

Sep 12, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #40 of 4,956
I guess Unison upgrade for Gumby will be available from Jan 2020. However we have to send it back to Schiit.

Sorry but I think Gumby is long in the tooth. It needs a G2 version IMO. A Bifrost 2 but with a more advanced DAC setup and more advanced balanced output stage.

Sep 12, 2019 at 11:31 PM Post #41 of 4,956
Sorry but I think Gumby is long in the tooth. It needs a G2 version IMO. A Bifrost 2 but with a more advanced DAC setup and more advanced balanced output stage.
I don't see how it has advanced balanced output stage and advanced dac then Gumby . Only thing is it has better USB

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 11:35 PM Post #42 of 4,956
Upgraded from a Modi Multibit being fed with Eitr (due to the somewhat luckluster USB implementation on the Modi) because I'd been curious to do a balanced connection into my THX AAA 789 amplifier. Switching back and forth, noticing increased bass slam and blacker background with Bifrost 2. Just a cleaner, more precise sound. Plus I prefer the black finish which better suits my setup. Very happy thus far!
[Clipped pic]
Coming from a Modi (albeit non multibit), your impressions match mine exactly. Everything sounds cleaner, and yet there is more impact in the bass. It hits hard and deep, especially in music that never seemed to have a lot of bass emphasis before. Very strange, yet satisfying.

PS: It looks pretty nice in black, especially with that PC build.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 5:47 AM Post #43 of 4,956
A well known and trusted reviewer on the other site has compared the Gumby, Yggy, and Bifrost 2. He said that the Bifrost 2 is really good and perhaps a bit more darker and tame, than the Gumby and that if you like a little more excitement, or have built a system around the Gumby and are using balanced, then don't bother with the Bifrost 2. So don't fret Gumby owners, unless you need more desk space and a safer sound. He also said if you are using balanced with the Gumby, then the Bifrost 2 is a step down. It seems the Bifrost 2 is a safer bet for matching up a new system.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #44 of 4,956
I don't see how it has advanced balanced output stage and advanced dac then Gumby . Only thing is it has better USB

I believe he was saying that a potential "Gungnir 2" should continue to utilize both a higher quality of DAC chip over the Bifrost 2 as well as use a discrete balanced output stage, while Bifrost 2 uses opamps due to space limitations in the chassis, to keep its status over the new Bifrost.

Sep 13, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #45 of 4,956
I believe he was saying that a potential "Gungnir 2" should continue to utilize both a higher quality of DAC chip over the Bifrost 2 as well as use a discrete balanced output stage, while Bifrost 2 uses opamps due to space limitations in the chassis, to keep its status over the new Bifrost.
Oh ok ya sorry I misunderstood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back