Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Sep 13, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #47 of 4,957
@Jason Stoddard can you stack a Mjolnir2 on top of the Bifrost2?

Putting in an order for a Bifrost2 shortly if so
Not by itself, but I'm pretty sure with one of these you could. :nerd:

They're $30 bucks on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076HY53F2

71w9p3va1zL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #52 of 4,957
I've done a lot more listening between the original multibit/gen 5 USB and the version 2/Unison. My set up is:

Hackintosh -> both DACs (USB) -> Mainline. The Mainline has two inputs, and the Mac can output to both DACs at the same time, so it's as simple as flicking the input switch to A/B test. I also tried having the Mac output to one DAC at a time, and switched DACs in the control panel at the same time flicking the input switch. I also switched the USB cables at one point to see if anything was related to the cables or the ports. I used the Fostex TH900 (with MrSpeaker doggie treats and hybrid velour/leather pads) and a utopia for the listening.

I let the DAC warm up for a few days. It sounded muffled the first hour or two. After that, it seemed to have stabilized.

I also closed my eyes while listening, concentrated, and looked as much as I could like an audiophile (holding my chin and bouncing my head to the music, maybe even a little swaying back and forth).

I listen to jazz, classical, and rock, instumentals, male and female vocalists.

I then switched to my SS amp, a DIY WHAMMY. I used a DIY switch box, so both DACs into the switch box, then into the WHAMMY.

All RCA cables are bluejeans.

My conclusion: I cannot hear a difference. YMMV based on many factors, but take all the reviews that hear "night and day" differences with a grain of hype-salt. Sure, it's possible there are differences in certain systems, but it's also possible they sound exactly the same.

I did notice a difference when I upgraded the Bifrost to Gen 5 USB. I used to have some USB issues, but they went away with Gen 5.

Note, I could barely hear differences between other DAC comparisons I've done in the past, but I could usually hear something. Between these two Bifrosts: nada.

That all said, the Bifrost is a great DAC, and I certainly recommend either version.

My rig:
9941312_l.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #53 of 4,957
I've done a lot more listening between the version 1/gen 5 USB and the version 2/Unison. My set up is:

Hackintosh -> both DACs (USB) -> Mainline. The Mainline has two inputs, and the Mac can output to both DACs at the same time, so it's as simple as flicking the input switch to A/B test. I also tried having the Mac output to one DAC at a time, and switched DACs in the control panel at the same time flicking the input switch. I also switched the USB cables at one point to see if anything was related to the cables or the ports. I used the Fostex TH900 (with MrSpeaker doggie treats and hybrid velour/leather pads) and a utopia for the listening.

I let the DAC warm up for a few days. It sounded muffled the first hour or two. After that, it seemed to have stabilized.

I also closed my eyes while listening, concentrated, and looked as much as I could like an audiophile (holding my chin and bouncing my head to the music, maybe even a little swaying back and forth).

I listen to jazz, classical, and rock, instumentals, male and female vocalists.

I then switched to my SS amp, a DIY WHAMMY. I used a DIY switch box, so both DACs into the switch box, then into the WHAMMY.

All RCA cables are bluejeans.

My conclusion: I cannot hear a difference. YMMV based on many factors, but take all the reviews that hear "night and day" differences with a grain of hype-salt. Sure, it's possible there are differences in certain systems, but it's also possible they sound exactly the same.

I did notice a difference when I upgraded the Bifrost to Gen 5 USB. I used to have some USB issues, but they went away with Gen 5.

Note, I could barely hear differences between other DAC comparisons I've done in the past, but I could usually hear something. Between these two Bifrosts: nada.

That all said, the Bifrost is a great DAC, and I certainly recommend either version.

My rig:
9941312_l.jpg

Is your version 1 a multibit or 4490, Uber 4399, or original 4399

Sep 14, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #55 of 4,957
Could you please tell us how it is stacked against the RME ADI2?

Sep 14, 2019 at 4:03 PM Post #56 of 4,957
:jecklinsmile:
Could you please tell us how it is stacked against the RME ADI2?
It stacks just to the right same self! :wink:

I’ve only compared the Bifrost Multibit (not 2) to the RME. The RME is a very good DAC with lots of features. It compares very well against the Bifrost, sounds very similar. There are filters and a ton of ways to adjust the sound on the RME. It also lists for $300 more than the Schiit. It’s amp section is meh, but it’s there if you want/need it. The RME has more features on the remote.

For a good, simple DAC, the Bifrost is great. If you want a lot of customization or volume on the remote, the RME is great.

Sep 17, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #59 of 4,957
Allanmarcus, Thanks for your honest assessment. I bought my original Gen5 Bifrost MB with the expectation that if an upgrade was available, I'd be able to do so if i chose to. When I heard about the Bifrost 2, I was kinda disappointed since the whole description about not leaving us behind and no dumpster fodder just went into the trash bin. Oh well, at least there's no significant difference between the two.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back