Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Sep 17, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #61 of 4,878
Can anyone compare the new bifrost 2 vs the new denafrips ares 2 ?

I want to add one of these to my set-up

Thanks
There's the question! Seems like direct competition (both are balanced), and they both are getting killer reviews. I will say, that if you live in the U.S, I would assume warranty issues, will get handled easier, with the Schiit.

Last edited:
Sep 17, 2019 at 5:52 PM Post #62 of 4,878
My Bifrost2 arrived today, having a quick listen..
using Lyr3 with multibit card installed, reissue Tung-Sol tube and HD6XX headphones. Initial impressions against the multibit card are.. favourable. More on that below.

Unfortunately the Bifrost2 is louder than the card so volume needs to be adjusted when changing between them. I hooked up both the BF2 and the card via USB to the computer and flip the input switch on the Lyr3 as well as changing output device on the computer to change between them (takes about 1-2 seconds).

The BF2 is clearly better in all regards I can think of, including soundstage, holography, realism, separation, transparency, effortlessness, vocals (that can be hauntingly realistic). Changing to the card and all “falls flat” (in comparison mind you, the card is really good too).

In short; the card is magic, the BF2 is (a lot) more magic!

WOW!-moment: Enigma - The platinum collection, song Voyageur (club mix)

Shivers down my spine-moment: Michael Jackson - Thriller, song Thriller (especially just before and when Vincent Price starts saying “darkness falls across the land...”)

I’m sure there will be more moments as the listen continues.. :)

Sep 17, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #63 of 4,878
There's the question! Seems like direct competition (both are balanced), and they both are getting killer reviews. I will say, that if you live in the U.S, I would assume warranty issues, will get handled easier, with the Schiit.
If I generalize based on my experience with NOS DAC then expect NOS DAC to have Thick, bassy sound with very organic and forward midrange and relaxed treble. This is based on my experience with Metrum Onyx. I don’t have 2ch setup right now so can’t comment on soundstaging. On my headphone setup I don’t feel any difference in soundstage of my Gungnir and Onyx.

Also Metrum/ Denafrips have better AES/ Coax input so if you are planning to use USB better use Schiit.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #64 of 4,878
Allanmarcus, Thanks for your honest assessment. I bought my original Gen5 Bifrost MB with the expectation that if an upgrade was available, I'd be able to do so if i chose to. When I heard about the Bifrost 2, I was kinda disappointed since the whole description about not leaving us behind and no dumpster fodder just went into the trash bin. Oh well, at least there's no significant difference between the two.
Your Bifrost will be upgradable to unison in January, from what I understand.

Sep 18, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #65 of 4,878
If I generalize based on my experience with NOS DAC then expect NOS DAC to have Thick, bassy sound with very organic and forward midrange and relaxed treble. This is based on my experience with Metrum Onyx. I don’t have 2ch setup right now so can’t comment on soundstaging. On my headphone setup I don’t feel any difference in soundstage of my Gungnir and Onyx.

Also Metrum/ Denafrips have better AES/ Coax input so if you are planning to use USB better use Schiit.
Well, I have to say, your description of an NOS dac, is my ideal sound sig. I do plan to get either the Denafrips or Metrum NOS dac, one of these days, but for now my Gumby is doing the trick.

Sep 18, 2019 at 9:00 AM Post #66 of 4,878
Well, I have to say, your description of an NOS dac, is my ideal sound sig. I do plan to get either the Denafrips or Metrum NOS dac, one of these days, but for now my Gumby is doing the trick.
Consider TDA1541 DAC like audial or diy builds, very good bang for Buck!

Imo holo spring is best NOS DAC but $$$$ pricy

Sep 18, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #67 of 4,878
Consider TDA1541 DAC like audial or diy builds, very good bang for Buck!

Imo holo spring is best NOS DAC but $$$$ pricy
Thanks! I will look into those. The Holo Spring, is and has been on my wish list, for a while.

Sep 18, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #68 of 4,878
Your Bifrost will be upgradable to unison in January, from what I understand.
Yeah I think I read that somewhere, but what does going from Gen5 to that really do? I have no issues with the current USB interface. The upgradable part that I'd be interested would be the DAC portion itself, ie going from the 4490 to the AD. Doesn't seem that option is available or they would've made that as the next step up....but who knows, maybe they have that on the back burner or not even possible.

If there's no difference then there's no point it seems to upgrade anyway. I'm not unhappy with the sound of my current setup at all, but I guess GAS gets me at times :)

Sep 18, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #69 of 4,878
Mine just arrived :)

I'll post more once it's stabilized and I've formed more impressions. That said, cold and out of the box it is a dramatic improvement over Eitr > Modi Multibit.

The overall impression is greater detail retrieval and bass definition with reduced digital glare and an overall smoother presentation. The decay on notes is very detailed and treble is much clearer with minimal fatiguing hash. I'm currently listening balanced with the Jotunheim.

This is really impressive.

Sep 18, 2019 at 2:21 PM Post #71 of 4,878
Yeah I think I read that somewhere, but what does going from Gen5 to that really do? I have no issues with the current USB interface. The upgradable part that I'd be interested would be the DAC portion itself, ie going from the 4490 to the AD. Doesn't seem that option is available or they would've made that as the next step up....but who knows, maybe they have that on the back burner or not even possible.

If there's no difference then there's no point it seems to upgrade anyway. I'm not unhappy with the sound of my current setup at all, but I guess GAS gets me at times :)

If you have the 4490 version, you can upgrade to MultiBit now.

Mine just arrived :)

I'll post more once it's stabilized and I've formed more impressions. That said, cold and out of the box it is a dramatic improvement over Eitr > Modi Multibit.

The overall impression is greater detail retrieval and bass definition with reduced digital glare and an overall smoother presentation. The decay on notes is very detailed and treble is much clearer with minimal fatiguing hash. I'm currently listening balanced with the Jotunheim.

This is really impressive.

wow. Mine sounds like shiit (the bead, smelly kind) out of the box. Mine took a few hours to warm up. OOTB, it sounds muffled, with very undefined bass. Once wormed up, it would great (exactly like the Bifrost Multibit version 1).

Sep 18, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #73 of 4,878
Sep 18, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #74 of 4,878
Sep 18, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #75 of 4,878
If you have the 4490 version, you can upgrade to MultiBit now.

wow. Mine sounds like shiit (the bead, smelly kind) out of the box. Mine took a few hours to warm up. OOTB, it sounds muffled, with very undefined bass. Once wormed up, it would great (exactly like the Bifrost Multibit version 1).

Yeah the bass quantity increased throughout the day and mids opened up a bit. To me, however, it still sounded great cold :)

What amp were you using? I've been using the Jot balanced all day, which has pretty tight defined bass and forward mids so maybe that helped. The Bifrost 2 + Jot balanced really sounds great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back