Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Oct 15, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #3,721 of 4,957
It’s all kind of points out why this site is awesome… because you’re getting solid information, free of static, so to speak.
Again we all know how contentious the subject of burn in and cables can be for some.
It is what it is the best we can do is put forth our honest experiences and opinions and maybe that’ll change some minds.
Maybe it won’t.
Again I think Schiit made the decision not to enter the contentious waters revolving around these two subjects.
(Not just simply for some people that won’t let up.. but there are potentially a few that have an agenda on their mind.
Whatever)
Because like myself they figured that awesome websites like this one will figure all that stuff out on their own.
I think once I get that card and I’m gonna take a quick listen again like I did the first one and let it burn in two weeks solid.
With the BF2 OG… The first lesson was not pleasant so that’s why I just let it play for a week plus solid without giving it one listen session.
My experience with the BF 1 MB
And the Modi MB-I wasn’t interested in listening to the changes in the break in.
I wanted to listen to a more fully broken in unit.

Oct 15, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #3,723 of 4,957
It is recommended to burn Bifrost and over time the sound should change (I read this here). My Bifrost hasn't finished burning yet, but I liked the sound of it right out of the box. And yes, I listen in NOS mode, I like it better, I don't know how to explain it, but my ears choose NOS mode.

I'll try to explain it, and feel more qualified after a few solid weeks with the BF 2/64. Now comparing to my other r2r tube dac in a reverse compare today.

Here is my answer. NOS mode simply sounds More Natural, Not Forced imo.

Oct 15, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #3,724 of 4,957
Not sure about Schiit. In their advertising they claim, more and less, there’s no difference in cables as well.
Just may take it’s probably more of an marketing decision.
That way you don’t get caught up in all that stuff.
Frankly I don’t blame them.

Super helpful point of view. While I don't know the Schiit Co nearly as well as all of you here, what I'm comfortable with is IC "cables" and "differences" after 30+ years of testing with various manufacturers. Got it now, and If this is one of their standard policy (debate avoidance) answers, just like their dacs have no burn in. Mum is the word. Say no more. Meanwhile I'll keep burning in my BF 2/64 dac Hahah. :stuck_out_tongue:

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #3,725 of 4,957
What they may BELIEVE and what they may SAY likely ain't always one in the same. When it comes to these 'controversial' subjective matters, they prefer to neither confirm nor deny. :wink:

Oct 15, 2022 at 4:26 PM Post #3,726 of 4,957
What they may BELIEVE and what they may SAY likely ain't always one in the same. When it comes to these 'controversial' subjective matters, they prefer to neither confirm nor deny. :wink:

Well then, along those same lines I can neither confirm or deny if this new Bifrost 2/64 DAC is any good or not. LOL.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 6:19 PM Post #3,727 of 4,957
I'll try to explain it, and feel more qualified after a few solid weeks with the BF 2/64. Now comparing to my other r2r tube dac in a reverse compare today.

Here is my answer. NOS mode simply sounds More Natural, Not Forced imo.

I have the same ears as yours my friend regarding NOS :)

Oct 15, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #3,728 of 4,957
Last edited:
Oct 15, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #3,729 of 4,957
Initial NOS impressions w/ BF2 OG were less than favorable but that was very early on. I must try it again.

Oct 15, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #3,730 of 4,957
Super helpful answer. While I don't know Schiit nearly as well as all of you here, what I'm super comfortable with is IC "cables" and "differences" after 30+ years of testing with various manufacturers. Got it now, and If this one of their standard policy (debate avoidance) answers, just like their dacs have no burn in. Mum is the word. Say no more. Meanwhile I'll keep burning in my BF 2/64 dac Hahah. :stuck_out_tongue:
I don’t know either of them well.
But I did enjoy the Schiit book. Being self employed almost 30 years now, I can appreciate many of their experiences choices, and takes.
I certainly do not agree with everything, but still appreciated, when you look at the results.
Just from reading the book, and some stuff here… it was a guess, that seemed to make some sense- esp if I put myself/ my business in the same position…it would be a lot to deal with. Lots of time possibly spent on basically non-productive stuff.
But when we become consumers, and hobbies, this is more or less the complete opposite.
So it boils down to a business choice in a nut shell.
And I think that’s why the book was written to get a lot of the stuff out.
Because when you’re in a business especially when you’ve been doing it for a long period of time you cut to the chase and don’t get too long winded, and usually don’t elaborate on those decisions for the reasons mentioned earlier.

Oct 15, 2022 at 9:57 PM Post #3,732 of 4,957
I have the same ears as yours my friend regarding NOS :)
Good to know. :thumbsup:My disclaimer is I hear this on my system as I’m extremely acquainted with it, and don’t make a lot of rapid changes. Cannot say what I could/not hear in other peoples systems, or if I could hear differences there or not.

Keeping my same speakers and placement and amps consistent is a helpful constant.

Oct 15, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #3,733 of 4,957
I noticed a definite settling down of peaky brightness after 10 -20 hours, it really settled down.
+1 to this. On the first night of listening my ears were fatigued and this only happens when there's something in the treble or I'm listening too loud (which I rarely, if ever, do).

Oct 15, 2022 at 11:19 PM Post #3,734 of 4,957
Good to know. :thumbsup:My disclaimer is I hear this on my system as I’m extremely acquainted with it, and don’t make a lot of rapid changes. Cannot say what I could/not hear in other peoples systems, or if I could hear differences there or not.

Keeping my same speakers and placement and amps consistent is a helpful constant.

It is completely system dependent. With OP amp based or SS discrete headphone amplifiers, OS can sound significantly better than NOS as OS opens their presentation up, providing better tonality and dynamics than NOS, but with some tubes even in just for preamp purposes in speakers systems or some SET amps for headphones, OS can sound a bit too much of a good thing and tilts the whole sound to being artificial than natural

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:18 AM Post #3,735 of 4,957

Agreed.
I’m keeping everything the same for the time being.
Again, I have the feeling nothing will need to be changed specifically for it after reading these extended review.
I was getting ready to do a recap, and Mojo mods on the Infinities… but will push it off maybe till the beginning of the year what the holidays approaching

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back