Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Oct 16, 2022 at 12:26 AM Post #3,736 of 4,957
I noticed a definite settling down of peaky brightness after 10 -20 hours, it really settled down.
@TheFrator
+1 to this. On the first night of listening my ears were fatigued and this only happens when there's something in the treble or I'm listening too loud (which I rarely, if ever, do).

Interesting. Thanks for confirming this. After 2 weeks a few unexpected things occurred. 1) smoothed out a little more. 2) an increase in low-register bass, suprisingly so. I had to actually turn down my separate main stereo subwoofers a full notch. Had to. 3) the sound stage might have opened up slightly more. Noticed this again tonight. Was not expecting any of this, at all.

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #3,737 of 4,957
Agreed.
I’m keeping everything the same for the time being.
Again, I have the feeling nothing will need to be changed specifically for it after reading these extended review.
I was getting ready to do a recap, and Mojo mods on the Infinities… but will push it off maybe till the beginning of the year what the holidays approaching

It took a long-long time for my clarity caps to stabilize in my custom main speakers. Separate boards/coils/caps for the dual Nomex mid-woofers and AMT for each speaker. Now they've stabilized over the past few years, and mono tube amp Mundorf Evo silver-gold coupling caps done forming too. Won't do that again...whew, glad that's over. It was worth the wait though. This allows me to really hear this dac and anything connected to it.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 1:38 AM Post #3,739 of 4,957
Just played "The Who Eminence Front" through the Bifrost 2/64 dac on the big speakers and mono tube amps. NOS mode, moderate volume, very nice separation of instruments, layering, tone, and texture. Right channel guitar and piano-keyboard literally popping out of the speaker - Holy Schiit!

Holy Schiit! Indeed! NOS is truly MAGIC in those type of amplification topology! Same experience with BF2 NOS on just the Forge headphone amp!

Like I wrote a couple of post ago, you'll forget about upgrading DACs once you found the best synergy amp for your system with BF2 OG or 2/64

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #3,740 of 4,957
..."in those types of amplification topology!".

Amplifiers:
@theveterans It's helpful to others you know and can share the sound results of the BF 2/64 dac when paired with different types of amplifier designs.

Since I'm all-tube now, and don't run class A/B mosfet solid state power amplifiers any more, and my headphone amp is built into my 6SN7 tube preamplifier - I have no way of knowing any different. Also, there may be a particular cable synergy that can be achieved or could be a detriment choosing the wrong interconnect cables.

Cables Matter Too:
In my full speaker system setup, I'm currently testing with OFHC silver over copper (Apature), OCC Ohno Continuous Casting (Analysis Plus), or Pure Copper (Cardas) recent Clear Reflection design interconnect cables. Each type produces different types of sound results with the Bifrost 2/64, fwiw to anyone who may be testing this dac, try different cables too. Finding the the tone, layering, and texture can be amazing with the right match of cables too w/this dac.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #3,741 of 4,957
Cables Matter Too:
In my full speaker system setup, I'm currently testing with OFHC silver over copper (Apature), OCC Ohno Continuous Casting (Analysis Plus), or Pure Copper (Cardas) recent Clear Reflection design interconnect cables. Each type produces different types of sound results with the Bifrost 2/64, fwiw to anyone who may be testing this dac, try different cables too. Finding the the tone, layering, and texture can be amazing with the right match of cables too w/this dac.

Interesting that you're able to hear interconnect differences with your system. This just tells me how "transparent" BF2 can be and as such is definitely an endgame candidate DAC to my books. I use Mogami Gold ICs on mine and Pangea AC-14SE power cord for BF2 and stock power cord for the amp.

Side note: With cables, I definitely hear very noticeable differences cable swapping IEM cable to the point that I'm listening to a completely different IEM due to my IEM's incredible sensitivity and impedance swing (not exaggerating, it's that huge of a difference with IEM cables). Currently, I use 5N OCC Gold Plated Silver + 5N OCC Gold Plated Silver Gold Alloy Hybrid + 5N OCC Silver cables on my IEM (3 different materials, 2 different cable geometries)

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #3,742 of 4,957
Interesting that you're able to hear interconnect differences with your system. This just tells me how "transparent" BF2 can be and as such is definitely an endgame candidate DAC to my books. I use Mogami Gold ICs on mine and Pangea AC-14SE power cord for BF2 and stock power cord for the amp.

Side note: With cables, I definitely hear very noticeable differences cable swapping IEM cable to the point that I'm listening to a completely different IEM due to my IEM's incredible sensitivity and impedance swing (not exaggerating, it's that huge of a difference with IEM cables). Currently, I use 5N OCC Gold Plated Silver + 5N OCC Gold Plated Silver Gold Alloy Hybrid + 5N OCC Silver cables on my IEM (3 different materials, 2 different cable geometries)
I still like pure gold conductor IC's on the Bifrost 2 (OG) best. I've had these interconnects for a very long time, but have not yet heard anything I like better.

http://old.stealthaudiocables.com/products/gold.htm

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:49 PM Post #3,743 of 4,957
I still like pure gold conductor IC's on the Bifrost 2 (OG) best. I've had these interconnects for a very long time, but have not yet heard anything I like better.

http://old.stealthaudiocables.com/products/gold.htm

With IEMs, the addition of gold in the mix definitely changes the layering (more plankton) and tonality (similar to tube sound effect). Not sure if you get the same effect with yours

Oct 16, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #3,744 of 4,957
Amplifiers:
@theveterans It's helpful to others you know and can share the sound results of the BF 2/64 dac when paired with different types of amplifier designs.

Since I'm all-tube now, and don't run class A/B mosfet solid state power amplifiers any more, and my headphone amp is built into my 6SN7 tube preamplifier - I have no way of knowing any different. Also, there may be a particular cable synergy that can be achieved or could be a detriment choosing the wrong interconnect cables.

Cables Matter Too:
Agreed.
Myself have thought about tube power (Rogue 100 )-but the 2 current amps I use, while solid state-don't sound SS, or tube-just damn good, as well as transparent.
Changing them-would mean some overhauls of other parts.
I auditioned a VA Vision SET 400 a number of years ago-and if one amp went belly up--this would be a perfect plug in.
Some of the issues with older gear-it's harder and harder to find guys that fix it.
Or guys that fix it-with out changing the sound.
By poor friend that had his Proton AP1000 recapped-it went in only needing a resolder and input switch cleaned.
Needless to say it's ruined-all the good old parts thrown away-just for the sake of a overhaul that wasn't needed.
Currently still a few capable/no harm guys out there fortunately.
As far as cables-I only bring up WIreworld because they are a great company to learn about cables.
They easily apply-for example to Transparent.
A good store is helpful.
Or phone calls/emails if you don't have a local store.
Demo's and face to face really is preferred here IMHO.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 1:27 PM Post #3,745 of 4,957
Whenever I change or mod preamps or amps or say try a different DAC I usually plan to also compare results with different cable designs. Not for everyone, it’s just something I do for a well rounded test and I have the different cables to go through this, then pick a direction to go in from there.

There is a real synergy right now with my better Cardas pure copper CRF cables and the Bifrost 2/64. Music flows effortlessly without sounding forced at all. Truly hearing the synergy of the DAC and what it can do paired with my tube preamp and mono tube amps. For me this DAC is a solid value+. A good preamp/amp helps to realize the potential of this DAC imo.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 10:18 PM Post #3,746 of 4,957
I just had a 4 hr, 2ch listening sesh at very high volume with the 2/64 and wowowow! I continue to be blown away at what it does at this price point and form factor.

It's been a journey but I also think I see why some people seem to think it's a bit harsher than the OG. I got there by upgrading my vinyl rig and doing some new rips. I did this upgrade purposely so that I could see what the 2/64 is capable of and how good my ripping process is. That process is a bit convoluted so I'm not at all certain that the 2/64 is even half of the reason for the mild harshness I was hearing recently.

The thing is, I'll take a little extra harshness if I can listen for 4 hrs with that much enjoyment. I'll take it if it gets me all those beautiful textures and timbres. All that dynamic control. The fadeouts that so accurately slide into blackness at the end of the tracks. These are things that didn't really jump out to me so much with the O.G.

As for my vinyl rips, when I first got the 2/64 upgrade, I went strait to them. They were previously done with an entry level technics belt drive and a grado red, fed into a battery operated portable tascam recorder at 24/96. The presentation was very laid back with that setup. My new 'table is a serious step up, and I'm now running a grado gold with an 8mz stylus. I also now record to DSD64 with a tascam da-3000, and then use a multi step process to batch convert to 20 bit/88.2 flac files.

I ripped a hot stamper of Iggy Pop's Lust for Life using this process the other day and did in fact detect a little harshness playing back on the 2/64, but it's pretty subtle and I still really enjoyed listening. To me that album is one of the best rock productions ever and it definitely came across well on the 2/64. I just noticed it wasn't exactly the same experience as listening directly to the vinyl. How much of that is the 2/64 I can't really say, but I suspect it's at least a little.

Still sticking with the MCB filter. Never could get NOS to sound how I like in my system. Even using a tube in the lyr 3 didn't seem to give good synergy with the NOS for me.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #3,747 of 4,957
I just had a 4 hr, 2ch listening sesh at very high volume with the 2/64 and wowowow! I continue to be blown away at what it does at this price point and form factor.

It's been a journey but I also think I see why some people seem to think it's a bit harsher than the OG. I got there by upgrading my vinyl rig and doing some new rips. I did this upgrade purposely so that I could see what the 2/64 is capable of and how good my ripping process is. That process is a bit convoluted so I'm not at all certain that the 2/64 is even half of the reason for the mild harshness I was hearing recently.

The thing is, I'll take a little extra harshness if I can listen for 4 hrs with that much enjoyment. I'll take it if it gets me all those beautiful textures and timbres. All that dynamic control. The fadeouts that so accurately slide into blackness at the end of the tracks. These are things that didn't really jump out to me so much with the O.G.

As for my vinyl rips, when I first got the 2/64 upgrade, I went strait to them. They were previously done with an entry level technics belt drive and a grado red, fed into a battery operated portable tascam recorder at 24/96. The presentation was very laid back with that setup. My new 'table is a serious step up, and I'm now running a grado gold with an 8mz stylus. I also now record to DSD64 with a tascam da-3000, and then use a multi step process to batch convert to 20 bit/88.2 flac files.

I ripped a hot stamper of Iggy Pop's Lust for Life using this process the other day and did in fact detect a little harshness playing back on the 2/64, but it's pretty subtle and I still really enjoyed listening. To me that album is one of the best rock productions ever and it definitely came across well on the 2/64. I just noticed it wasn't exactly the same experience. How much of that is the 2/64 I can't really say, but I suspect it's at least a little.

Still sticking with the MCB filter. Never could get NOS to sound how I like in my system. Even using a tube in the lyr 3 didn't seem to give good synergy with the NOS for me.
Nice!
Thanks for the detailed info.
I agree-Mr Osterberg (not Westerberg "Its only string and wood man") :wink: served up a classic that has worn well. Funny how that works out......
I think if you play around with a few variables-you may able to reduce some of the harshness-as many times that gives you even more cool details that where masked by it.

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:30 PM Post #3,748 of 4,957

Even my demo at Schiitr, I stilll prefered the MCB over NOS with Lyr+. Lyr+ is laid back amp compared to the Folkvangr from my recent A/B earlier at Schiitr

Oct 16, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #3,749 of 4,957
Nice!
Thanks for the detailed info.
I agree-Mr Osterberg (not Westerberg "Its only string and wood man") :wink: served up a classic that has worn well. Funny how that works out......
I think if you play around with a few variables-you may able to reduce some of the harshness-as many times that gives you even more cool details that where masked by it.

Yeah, converting DSD to PCM well is hard! I've found even the choice of dither makes a difference. But I'm pretty happy with the conversion process I was able to cobble together using only free tools. Especially when you consider what ppl shell out for Saracon.

But I will definitely make some tweaks to my process to see what I can come up with. I foresee some listening tests in my near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back