Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Oct 13, 2022 at 12:37 PM Post #3,692 of 4,957
Nice, got a good chuckle out of me.
I think my earlier post you’re referring to was badly written and unclear-the shinola I mentioned was from the taco bell filter, not NOS, which to me is less energetic.

Chipotle is generally smoother than shinola. That’s the main effect of oversampling. I like my sound presentation raw and crude

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #3,693 of 4,957
In addition to interconnecst-I could always tube swap.
Go all out tubey with 6DJ8's-or detailed and thin with 6n1's.
To me, the jj 6988 are the best balanced.
I'm not a fan of the CJ tube type sound.
Too colored more my taste.
However-I may be off-I think it will fit just fine.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #3,694 of 4,957
My first try on bf 2/64 with the mcb filter on was a bit too much boost for my taste. With this brand new unit, was kinda like hitting the loudness button (or +2 bass, +1 midrange, +2 treble control) on a bloated sounding vintage receiver or something. Will switch from NOS to MCB again this weekend to let it run in - - hoping it will settle down a little bit more. Not sure I want to compensate with "less than" input or output tubes to try and tame it some.

Oct 13, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #3,695 of 4,957
I was doing an A/B test between my BF2 (not 2/64) and the internal DAC of my Marantz CD6006 CD player using my Feliks Audio Echo Mk2. There was not a night and day difference but I felt the DAC in the Marantz was a bit livelier than the BF2 which seemed to sound just a bit dull comparatively. I don't have the newest firmware update on the BF2 either as I'll have to get a micro SD card and reader to make the update.

Oct 13, 2022 at 3:23 PM Post #3,696 of 4,957
My first try on bf 2/64 with the mcb filter on was a bit too much boost for my taste. With this brand new unit, was kinda like hitting the loudness button (or +2 bass, +1 midrange, +2 treble control) on a bloated sounding vintage receiver or something. Will switch from NOS to MCB again this weekend to let it run in - - hoping it will settle down a little bit more. Not sure I want to compensate with "less than" input or output tubes to try and tame it some.
Interesting.
The OG-the bass does not seem to be bloated.
Frankly the lil Project does not seem that way either.
I think switching to sealed bass box speakers keeps this under control in my case.
Not that you would not notice it though....
But flabby bass from most ported speakers-especially below fb-isn't very pleasant.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #3,697 of 4,957
Interesting.
The OG-the bass does not seem to be bloated.
Frankly the lil Project does not seem that way either.
I think switching to sealed bass box speakers keeps this under control in my case.
Not that you would not notice it though....
But flabby bass from most ported speakers-especially below fb-isn't very pleasant.

Edit:
It’s more similar to a db gain with the MCB digital filter (than flabby response) in some frequencies. Is this due to oversampling 8x, not sure.

NOS is a non-issue though. Planning to spend some more time with the Taco Bell filter tonight.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #3,699 of 4,957
Edit:
It’s more similar to a db gain with the MCB digital filter (than flabby response) in some frequencies. Is this due to oversampling 8x, not sure.
That's a more articulate explanation then what I proffered earlier, sounds about right to me. Still like Chipotle filter though even if it's genetically modified:L3000:

Oct 13, 2022 at 11:26 PM Post #3,700 of 4,957
decooney said:
Edit:
That's a more articulate explanation then what I proffered earlier, sounds about right to me. Still like Chipotle filter though even if it's genetically modified:L3000:

UPDATE#2 on the megacomboburrito digital filter mode on this new BF 2/64 dac. Some correction due here to my prior posts that were likely premature.
Apparently I still did not have enough time on the new dac in this mcb mode, now with more time on the dac in NOS and MCB mode;

1. DID settle down a little bit more in mcb too after more time on the dac.
2. Good recordings are more tolerable in mcb mode after more time on the dac.
3. Poor recordings, I still tend to prefer NOS mode more, a little more forgiving.

Note: its very subtle, and tube amp owners who know the difference might detect this, or not. In my system, going from NOS to MCB mode on the dac, is vaguely similar to switching from triode to pentode mode on a switchable tube amp. Sound stage sets back a tad in NOS mode on this dac. A tad more forward in mcb digital filter mode. Just another odd way to describe it. I do like both modes for different reasons, and quality of recordings matters imo.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2022 at 11:38 PM Post #3,701 of 4,957
UPDATE#2 on the megacomboburrito digital filter mode on this new BF 2/64 dac. Some correction due here to prior posts that were likely premature.
Apparently I still did not have enough time on the new dac in this mcb mode, now with more time on the dac in NOS and MCB mode;

1. DID settle down a little bit more in mcb too after more time on the dac.
2. Good recordings are more tolerable in mcb mode after more time on the dac.
3. Poor recordings, I still tend to prefer NOS mode more, a little more forgiving.

Note: I wonder if tube amp owners may pick up more on the differences between the two modes. I say this because the behavior of switching from NOS to MCB filter mode the bf 2/64 dac has an ever so slight hint reminiscent of switching from triode to pentode mode on a switchable tube amp - - where the sound stage drops back just a tad in triode, and comes slightly forward in pentode/ultralinear mode. Switched back and forth 10 times on the same track. section. Not a great explanation but might be interesting to others who compare modes when running with tube amps. Not sure if anyone hears the same.

I don't have the 2/64 but the OG with my SET amp (KT88 strapped in triode and no option for a pentode mode). I'm pretty sure that the two modes will sound different on other amp topologies than the one that I'm going to describe, and also source quality in terms of clean power and low jitter matters A LOT in NOS mode.

MCB/OS = Vocals pushed on back, an overall smooth experience with more treble shimmer. Bass is fuller with a slightly smoother texture. Soundstage is very wide but depth is a bit narrow since presentation is pushed back (as if you're sitting in row 5 of the audience)
NOS = Vocals upfront and has large presence than OS. Notes are more fleshed out/less smooth hence microdetails/dynamics are slightly more noticeable than MCB. Soundstage is just as wide but now more lateral depth occurs due to yourself now sitting 2nd row or front row of in the audience and the depth perception of instruments to vocals is now more apparent. In my case, bad recordings will sound worse actually and not smoothen out compared to MCB, and good recordings sound amazeballs and better to my preferences than MCB

This again is with the OG card and not the 2/64.

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:30 AM Post #3,703 of 4,957
Bought a MicroSD card and installed 8/11/22 firmware on my BF2 OG to get access to the NOS mode.
I was skeptical I would like NOS mode, based preliminary impressions here, and my general skepticism of people's tendency to always see new/different as better. Also, I've been quite satisfied with BF2 OG as-is.
Therefore I was surprised to find I immediately noticed NOS is a touch thinner sounding but I can "see through" the music better. Switching back to MCB filter, I immediately notice soundstage depth is a bit flatter.
I'm immediately liking NOS more. Which is causing me to reevaluate which sound quality properties I actually like, dislike, or should prioritize.
Listening gear is BF2 - Sparkos Aries amp - ZMF VC Olive Wood. Looking forward to experimenting on tubes next.
It's a great time to be alive.

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #3,704 of 4,957
@theveterans which pse/strapped kt88 amp(s) are you running if you don't mind me asking.

It’s ampsandsound Forge headphone amplifier (not a speaker amp or maybe one can use it as a preamp). The current and full version of the Forge is called Mogwai Rev 2, and the difference aside from the obvious cheaper price of the Forge is the following:

Forge: 6SL7 as input/pre tube and KT88 only in triode mode, solid state rectifier and 2 output impedance configuration, Jupiter copper foil wax coupling capacitor. No speaker bind posts.

Mogwai Rev 2: You can use it as a preamp or speaker amp for horn speakers. It has 5751 as input/pre tube, KT88 only in triode mode, 5AR4 rectifier, 3 output impedance taps with speaker bind post. You have a choice of Auricap branded or Jupiter branded copper foil wax caps (the extra price for the Jupiter coupling caps is worth the cost IMHO due to better microdetail retrieval and a more incisive sound). You can roll tube rectifiers to tweak sound while you can’t with the Forge.

As for value, Forge easily wins for me especially when you can get one that’s priced cheaper than Schiit Folkvangr.

Oct 14, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #3,705 of 4,957
Bought a MicroSD card and installed 8/11/22 firmware on my BF2 OG to get access to the NOS mode.
I was skeptical I would like NOS mode, based preliminary impressions here, and my general skepticism of people's tendency to always see new/different as better. Also, I've been quite satisfied with BF2 OG as-is.
Therefore I was surprised to find I immediately noticed NOS is a touch thinner sounding but I can "see through" the music better. Switching back to MCB filter, I immediately notice soundstage depth is a bit flatter.
I'm immediately liking NOS more. Which is causing me to reevaluate which sound quality properties I actually like, dislike, or should prioritize.
Listening gear is BF2 - Sparkos Aries amp - ZMF VC Olive Wood. Looking forward to experimenting on tubes next.
It's a great time to be alive.
Yes!
And a great time to be on this web site.
So much cool information-esp this last week or so.
Pretty awesome IMHO!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back