Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Aug 2, 2022 at 4:27 AM Post #2,867 of 4,957
It's great that a $300 upgrade can make this DAC feel new again.
Yah, I’m waiting for a few more impressions, but so far it seems like a no-brainer, and a very cost-effective way to upgrade all of your IEMs and Headphones at one go.

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:43 AM Post #2,868 of 4,957
I watched the Bifrost2 for a long time, looked at the reviews and read the reviews of the owners and did not dare to buy it, but recently I saw that Schiit released the Bifrost2/64 upgrade. I could not resist and pressed the button - Buy. I hope Bifrost 2/64 will not disappoint me.
I received a letter from Schiit that my Bifrost will be ready in 4-6 weeks. Why so long?

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:47 AM Post #2,869 of 4,957
I watched the Bifrost2 for a long time, looked at the reviews and read the reviews of the owners and did not dare to buy it, but recently I saw that Schiit released the Bifrost2/64 upgrade. I could not resist and pressed the button - Buy. I hope Bifrost 2/64 will not disappoint me.
I received a letter from Schiit that my Bifrost will be ready in 4-6 weeks. Why so long?
Popular DAC with a cost effective upgrade. The upgrade cards are on the same lead time.

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #2,870 of 4,957

Congrats. I’ve had the BF2 for almost 2 years now. It’s an awesome DAC. As for the delays, it’s likely due to the BF2’s popularity (especially with the upgrade) as well as hardware shortages. It’ll be a thought wait, but well worth it.

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #2,871 of 4,957
I actually thought the original loki sounded great. Pretty impressive for the price

Is there something wrong with it? Is the second version supposed to be actually better?

Aug 2, 2022 at 11:58 AM Post #2,872 of 4,957
I wanted to say that I did not buy an upgrade card, but I bought a DAC with a new card.
This is my first multibit DAC. I chose between Bifrost2/64 and Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC, I chose Bifrost, I hope I didn't make a mistake and made the right choice.

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #2,873 of 4,957
Is there something wrong with it? Is the second version supposed to be actually better?
I just mean the original loki was a dsd dac and it's interesting to hear Schiit's take on dsd in general, and also that of the bigwigs in a certain other schiit friendly forum. They tend to think it's a waste of time. I think it can actually sound amazing. Great bass and soundstage depth.

Part of my rambling was just to point out that maybe I don't ways agree with schiit's taste, though in general I love their multibit dacs and headamps. And also to point out how something as simple as the filter you use can greatly affect the end result. Like when I convert from dsd to pcm I notice the differences in quality between different FIR filters.

I was almost tempted to think they just didn't care enough about NOS mode to make it sound great, on some kind of philosophical grounds, but I doubt that. But heck, if they could make a super gentle antialiasing filter in NOS mode on BF2 that attenuated a lot of ultrasonic frequencies, even well below the nyquist frequency for high sample rates, I'd be all for it if it sounded better than what I'm hearing now.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #2,874 of 4,957
I wanted to say that I did not buy an upgrade card, but I bought a DAC with a new card.
This is my first multibit DAC. I chose between Bifrost2/64 and Musician Audio Pegasus R2R DAC, I chose Bifrost, I hope I didn't make a mistake and made the right choice.
I used to have a gungnir multibit. I was excited about unison usb so when the BF2 came out I bought it on a lark, and it didn't hurt that Schiit gave a discount to previous bifrost owners, which I was at the time.

As soon as I got the BF2 I sold the gungnir. That's how good it is. Unison usb makes a huge difference in my setup. I believe Mike Moffat likes it better than spdif and aes.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I doubt that other dac has as good a usb implementation. And if you like a warm, euphonic sound with good slam you'll like BF2.

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:16 PM Post #2,875 of 4,957
Aug 2, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #2,876 of 4,957
I was almost tempted to think they just didn't care enough about NOS mode to make it sound great, on some kind of philosophical grounds, but I doubt that. But heck, if they could make a super gentle antialiasing filter in NOS mode on BF2 that cut out a lot of ultrasonic frequencies, even well below the nyquist frequency for high sample rates, I'd be all for it if it sounded better than what I'm hearing now.

The analog stage of BF2 wasn’t designed to filter out ultrasonics incredibly well unlike those DACs with NOS as their primary mode of signal processing e.g. Metrum DACs, Aqua Formula xHD, Holo Audio, Abbas DACs, Aries Cerat Kassandra, etc.

Schiit designed their DACs to run their custom closed form 8x digital filter and let their proprietary noise shaper do its job instead of the analog stage where designers carefully select their components to maximize NOS sound

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #2,877 of 4,957
I have read that many Bifrost owners recommend not turning off the Bifrost during downtime. Is Bifrost designed for such a long work without a break?

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #2,879 of 4,957
I have read that many Bifrost owners recommend not turning off the Bifrost during downtime. Is Bifrost designed for such a long work without a break?
My understanding is that the R2R or Multibit DACs sound better when "Warmed up". I can't imagine it working very hard when just "ON" just idling. Mine stays on all the time.

Aug 2, 2022 at 12:45 PM Post #2,880 of 4,957
My understanding is that the R2R or Multibit DACs sound better when "Warmed up". I can't imagine it working very hard when just "ON" just idling. Mine stays on all the time.
Will this damage the power transformer inside the Bifrost?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back