Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Aug 2, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #2,883 of 4,957
Placed my order for the upgrade card on 7/25 and was told it would take 4-6 weeks to ship. Looks like they've been ramping up production because I got an email today telling me it shipped :). Definitely looking forward to what I'll hear once installed!
Yeah, Schiit really got it in a pile for these DAC cards. Shipping is way better than their average on these.

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:40 PM Post #2,884 of 4,957
I have read that many Bifrost owners recommend not turning off the Bifrost during downtime. Is Bifrost designed for such a long work without a break?
Yes. All Schiit gear is designed to be able to be on constantly as well as being turned on and off with use. That question is in most of the FAQs on the product pages. Those are a very fun and enjoyable read too, I recommend reading them, also on products you don’t (yet) own :)

Even their tube amps can be left on, also the crazy ten tube Folkvangr, but as tubes have a finite lifespan of about 5000 hours you would burn through a set of tubes in less than a year if you do. But you can. You only need to buy new tubes more often. And pay more on the electricity bill, of course :sweat_smile:

The recommendation to leave the Bifrost on is because we who recommend it feel that it sounds even better warm than cold. So we just leave it on instead of waiting an hour or so after turn-on for optimal sound. YMMV on that of course.

Will this damage the power transformer inside the Bifrost?
Nope.

Aug 2, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #2,885 of 4,957
Will this damage the power transformer inside the Bifrost?
The Guys at Schiit say no. At least, from what I've read/seen from Schiit answering this kind of question. The real danger is in the turning the Bifrost 2/64 or any electronics ON and OFF. The way I remember it explained was: the "rush" of power is when the stress occurs on electronics.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 3:24 PM Post #2,886 of 4,957
I sure hope not. Mine has been on since I took delivery shortly after it was announced. :wink:

Aug 2, 2022 at 3:57 PM Post #2,887 of 4,957
Why didn't use the SD card Schiit sent with the card?

Haha, didn't realize one was included in the box. Mines was hiding behind the 2nd layer of foam. I was too excited to thoroughly check all the contents. Anyways, I was able to flash the firmware with a 16GB card.

My first impressions are positive with NOS turned off. Mostly listened to jazz on a pair of small near fields + sub. Card64 seems to have bit more clarity and snap in the treble region. Not sure how to describe it other than saying it sounds like it extends out further. I'm just glad that it still keeps the warmish full bodied sound in the bass and mids section. I tried NOS for about 30 min but really couldn't stand listening to it. The sound was just too "boring".

Anyone know what the power draw is when the BF2 is idle? Trying to decide if it's worth it to leave it powered on.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #2,888 of 4,957
So.....I'm very sad to be this guy......but does the card Schiit sends have the firmware loaded, or is it just a blank card you need to load? I assumed the firmware was pre-loaded, but cannot get my BF2 to interact with that card at all. Swapped back the old AD internal and worked fine....tried flashing with the old card in and no-go either. That little card only fits one way so don't believe I'm boogering that part......but for sure not getting hot, hot firmware action going with either card.

Going to have to fish out my old card-reader from the parts graveyard drawer.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:08 PM Post #2,889 of 4,957
So.....I'm very sad to be this guy......but does the card Schiit sends have the firmware loaded, or is it just a blank card you need to load? I assumed the firmware was pre-loaded, but cannot get my BF2 to interact with that card at all. Swapped back the old AD internal and worked fine....tried flashing with the old card in and no-go either. That little card only fits one way so don't believe I'm boogering that part......but for sure not getting hot, hot firmware action going with either card.

My card came pre-loaded. it took me a minute to figure out orientation into the slot. But the following worked for me:

1. power down DAC
2. unplug DAC
3. remove OG card (I opened the lid to my BF2, it made the process a little easier, but isn't necessary)
4. install 2/64 card (put the lid back on the BF2)
5. insert SD card included with 2/64 card
6. plug in power
7. turn on DAC
8. watch the lights blink on the front panel for ~30 seconds
9. turn off DAC
10. remove SD card
11. turn on DAC
12. profit! :)

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:09 PM Post #2,890 of 4,957

I believe you still have to flash the firmware

Contrary to what other ppl experienced, I actually had better luck with a large sd card (200GB) than a small one (2GB). I think it's mostly about card quality, so don't be afraid to try a few cards.

The 32KB cluster size is important, as is using FAT format. The card should go label up in the bifrost slot, and when it powers on the lights should eventually start blinking in a very different pattern than normally. If that doesn't happen, it didn't flash.

There's a youtube video of how the lights are supposed to blink linked somewhere on this thread.

Aug 2, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #2,891 of 4,957
The Schiit-proivided SD should come with the FW on it. The slot is a bit finnicky, so make sure it is in the reader slot (not over it) and press somewhat firmly to ensure it is well seated w/ label up. Also -- I would flash with the ORIGINAL card in it and THEN switch out cards for the new upgraded one. :wink:

BTW -- I posted that video of the flash light sequence, so you can look at my posts or search on Youtube, which is where I linked it from.

Here it is...

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-6493#post-17075405

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #2,892 of 4,957
Thanks gents. I'm able to pop the top and swap the hardware cards no issue. I actually re-poped the top off so I could visually confirm the SD card was seated fully in the little reader slot. No dice when turning on (in terms of getting the BF2 to pick up the firmware). Ordered a cheap card reader/writer off Amazon to double check there's firmware on it/flash my own if needed. Hope it's not the reader on the BF2.

On the + side, pretty darn easy to get in/out of the DAC!

Aug 2, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #2,893 of 4,957
I watched the Bifrost2 for a long time, looked at the reviews and read the reviews of the owners and did not dare to buy it, but recently I saw that Schiit released the Bifrost2/64 upgrade. I could not resist and pressed the button - Buy. I hope Bifrost 2/64 will not disappoint me.
I received a letter from Schiit that my Bifrost will be ready in 4-6 weeks. Why so long?
Well, Jason said they only announced it for the Texas round-up. They weren't prepared to actually ship them. The note on the website is accurate.

Aug 2, 2022 at 7:24 PM Post #2,895 of 4,957
No just let her RUN😜👍
I've had mine going virtually 24/7 since I bought it when it was just released. No worries..... FYI Jason has mentioned in one of his vids that Mike M. fought with him.... Mike didn't want an on-off switch at all!

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back