Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jan 6, 2022 at 1:43 PM Post #2,582 of 4,957
Should I be scared of dropping big bucks on this when Modius exist? Please say yes..
No

edit: If you have the $$ for Bifrost then you won’t regret it.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #2,583 of 4,957
Should I be scared of dropping big bucks on this when Modius exist? Please say yes..
I use a Modius and Modi multibit. I switch them out to change things up. I have had a Bifrost 2 in my shopping cart several times and get to the checkout part but never complete the purchase. My little Modi multibit makes happy. I know the Bifrost 2 would be great and I'm sure I'll get one in the future but once I lose myself in the music with the help of the Modi Multibit I forget about the Bifrost 2. The Modius is a steal at $200 and the Modi multibit is a huge bargain for $250.

Jan 7, 2022 at 1:28 AM Post #2,584 of 4,957
I don't have any definitive advice that you really must follow, but just to ask the question, why not just get the Bifrost 2 and be done with the issue ?

I am 60 and maybe my ears are getting old, but I bought the Bifrost 2, and I adore it, but even better, I have closed the door on the idea of any further DAC upgrades. If I had gotten a Modius, the door would still be open.

Jan 7, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #2,585 of 4,957
I don't have any definitive advice that you really must follow, but just to ask the question, why not just get the Bifrost 2 and be done with the issue ?

I am 60 and maybe my ears are getting old, but I bought the Bifrost 2, and I adore it, but even better, I have closed the door on the idea of any further DAC upgrades. If I had gotten a Modius, the door would still be open.
This.
And don’t forget the idea of the Bifrost platform is that it is field upgradable, so it should last you for a long many years into the future.

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #2,586 of 4,957
Hi all - could use some input on my potential upgrade path centered around the Bifrost 2. My goal is simplicity, as I'm turning to 100% Tidal streaming. The chain would be as follows:

2021 MacBook Air > Tidal via Roon > USB-C to USB-B cable > Schiit Bifrost 2 (Unison USB) > Schiit Lyr 3 > Audeze LCD-X (2020)

My main concern is whether I will have any handover issues from the iMac Air directly to the Bifrost 2? My 2011 iMac is useless into my ES9028 USB-C input of my Lyr3, as it requires too much hardware via powered USB hub. I'm trying to keep the simplicity both in terms of the signal chain and the wire array at my listening chair. The aesthetic is very clean, and I intend to keep it that way. Having to use the Apple CCK adapter for my iPhone 11 into the Lyr3 (ES9028) drives me nuts as it is.

Thoughts/confirmations are greatly appreciated!
My concern would be with Tidal. Bifrost 2 does not do MQA. So you would never get the complete unfold from the Masters tracks. Tidal software would do the first unfold (96Khz max, if I recall correctly). Ive never used Roon (or a MAC), so I'm not sure if that does the complete unfold before sending to the DAC.

Jan 7, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #2,587 of 4,957
Jan 7, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #2,588 of 4,957
Roon will do only the 1st level unfold w/ a non-MQA DAC. Here's some more info...

https://help.roonlabs.com/portal/en...at_does_MQA_192kHz_and_MQA_Studio_192kHz_mean
A lot of people in RoonWorld(tm) have turned to Qobuz out of a hate for Tidal. I have both Qobuz and Tidal, and I have exclusively non-MQA DACs. I’m very happy with 1-unfold MQA via Roon -> Yggy/Gumby on those occasions when I don’t own the CD and Qobuz doesn’t have it. I honestly wouldn’t keep Tidal except for the fact that Tesla now has Tidal as a built-in app, and the quality is way better than Spotify.

Jan 9, 2022 at 1:58 AM Post #2,589 of 4,957
Just pulled the trigger on the Bifrost 2! People seem to be getting them faster than the stated 6-8 weeks, so hope that's the case for me. They'll be completing my Burson Soloist 3 XP -> Arya v3 setup. I've seen quite a few other people in forums with this "beginning of the endgame" combo - maybe I'm basic, but it must be common for a good reason!

Jan 9, 2022 at 4:19 AM Post #2,590 of 4,957
Just pulled the trigger on the Bifrost 2! People seem to be getting them faster than the stated 6-8 weeks, so hope that's the case for me. They'll be completing my Burson Soloist 3 XP -> Arya v3 setup. I've seen quite a few other people in forums with this "beginning of the endgame" combo - maybe I'm basic, but it must be common for a good reason!
Depends on what end game looks like to you, but whatever that is, IMHO the Bifrost 2 will carry you a fair distance down the road. It’s the one competent in my chain I never think about upgrading because it’s never the weak point. For me, a BF2 and quality tube amp are the perfect combination.

IMHO it has a bit of spooky magic in its imaging and bass. On top of that it’s extremely good at rejecting noise, jitter, and anything else that would degrade the sound. it’s dead silent, super detailed, crystal clear and has fantastic microdynamics. Any improvement would be small and come at a high price.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #2,591 of 4,957
Managed to snag one second hand, can't wait to pair it with my Jotunheim!

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2022 at 9:51 AM Post #2,592 of 4,957
Jan 14, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #2,593 of 4,957
Last night I did some experimenting on the BF2 with HQPlayer. Has anyone else here tried this? Opinions on HQPlayer filter settings for BF2?

Another thing I noticed in HQPlayer is that the BF2 does accept 32-bit data (even though only specified 24/192). Does anyone know what the BF2 does with 32-bit data? Truncate? Dither? It sounds good... :) maybe that's all that counts.

Jan 14, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #2,594 of 4,957
so anyone notice a difference when flipping the polarity/phase button? i sometimes leave it on because i like the light....but today on some new stuff noticed a difference when flipping on/off (on a bass frequency, definitely shifted). was wondering if anyone else inverts or even hears a change?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back