Schiit Audio Bifrost 2
Jan 24, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #2,596 of 4,957
Yes. It is required.

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #2,598 of 4,957
Does Bifrost 2 unison usb require power be supplied over the usb line?
My motherboard has a feature that allows me to disable just the power on one of its usb ports and im wondering if that would work here.
I think it is required for handshake

Jan 24, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #2,600 of 4,957
Huh, interesting. The driver included with my motherboard allows me to turn the power on and off through windows, so perhaps i can just disable it after the Bifrost is connected.. I will give it a shot when it arrives.
Ya do let us. Interested to know

Jan 24, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #2,601 of 4,957
A random Monday morning thought:

I recently replaced my Lyr 3 with a Linear Tube Audio MZ2-R and was worried that the increase in detail and transparency would mean I'd need to move on from my Bifrost 2 to something else in order to keep up. As things have turned out, the BF2 can more than keep up to the point that while I'm sure there are better/more expensive DACs out there, the biggest issue I now face is software-rated: there's a lot of great music out there that's indifferently recorded (to be charitable). The BF2 makes well-recorded music sound terrific and exposes the flaws in lesser recording while still letting the music through to be enjoyed in spite of how it was recorded.

The Bifrost 2 continues to demonstrate to me why it's such a great DAC and has to be one of the greatest bargains out there.

Jan 24, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #2,602 of 4,957
Does Bifrost 2 unison usb require power be supplied over the usb line?
My motherboard has a feature that allows me to disable just the power on one of its usb ports and im wondering if that would work here.

its powered from a power cord, not USB

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #2,603 of 4,957
its powered from a power cord, not USB

The 5v line is still active on the USB module I believe. Would be interesting to sever the 5v pin on a cable and see if it still functions.

Jan 28, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #2,604 of 4,957
The 5v line is still active on the USB module I believe. Would be interesting to sever the 5v pin on a cable and see if it still functions.
but why?

Jan 28, 2022 at 5:55 PM Post #2,606 of 4,957
I have a power line neutered USB cable and assure you BF2 does not work with it.

As to why? I already had it used with another DAC that was not galvanically isolated / Unison. Besides who can dare call themself an Audiophile if they had the means to try it and didn't. 😀

Jan 29, 2022 at 1:08 AM Post #2,607 of 4,957
Yeah the USB port i'm talking about is called DAC-UP2. According to the manufacturer, it provides "clean, isolated and low-noise power". It also comes with a driver that allows you to (from within windows), disable the power to the port all together, leaving just the data line active for even less noise. The last feature it has is it allows you to increase voltage to account for drop over long cable distances. It's a feature on my Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master motherboard. I'm looking to run my Bifrost 2 off of it when it arrives using a 1 meter Supra cable. I'd imagine the galvanic isolation should protect against most noise anyway but this will take it just a bit further hopefully. I will test if the bifrost 2 only needs usb power for initial handshake, but i wonder if switching the usb power off manual would really be worth it each time i turn my pc on for the impact on sound. I'd imagine the galvanic isolation is more about protecting dirty power input as opposed to cleaning up the data signal that may be impacted by the noise, so i think there could still be a benefit to not running the data line with power along side it.

dac.png

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 2:13 AM Post #2,608 of 4,957
Does anyone have personal impressions with the BF2 and LCD-2F? Are they a good match? I figure because the Bifrost is warm but has great bass it would compliment the LCDs well. Also, does anyone find the bass on the BF2 is a bit ‘boomy’ compared to the Yggy? I actually need a little bit of that quantity regarding the LCD-4s which have a more neutral but very extended bass. Thanks!

Feb 1, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #2,609 of 4,957
Hey guys,

Just got my Bifrost 2. For whatever reason the USB doesn't get recognized on my fold 3 but works on my laptop. I had no issue with this on the Hel 2, am I missing something?

I also can't seem to get wavelet to work even in legacy mode. EQ does nothing it seems with other apps, I'm on Chrome OS

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #2,610 of 4,957
Hey guys,

Just got my Bifrost 2. For whatever reason the USB doesn't get recognized on my fold 3 but works on my laptop. I had no issue with this on the Hel 2, am I missing something?

I also can't seem to get wavelet to work even in legacy mode. EQ does nothing it seems with other apps, I'm on Chrome OS
Sorry to hear that - just wanted to go slightly off topic; do you know how long it took you to get the BF2 from the date of purchase?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Quiz
Back