Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Mar 4, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #1,531 of 1,717
Is the amp dead quite with the Denon D7000, D5000 or D2000?  I might pick one up if it is quiet enough.  How fast does it get loud?  Does it go from no noise to loud with only a small adjustment?  How many "hours" (amount turned on the volume knob) does it take?  I know it relative.

Mar 5, 2012 at 6:58 PM Post #1,532 of 1,717

Dead quiet with the D7000. Things start to get loud above 9 O'clock.
MBP ->Optical->Bifrost->Asgard->D7000
Quote:
Is the amp dead quite with the Denon D7000, D5000 or D2000?  I might pick one up if it is quiet enough.  How fast does it get loud?  Does it go from no noise to loud with only a small adjustment?  How many "hours" (amount turned on the volume knob) does it take?  I know it relative.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:04 PM Post #1,533 of 1,717
I absolutely have to confess my love for the Asgard . I actually ordered one on Amazon last week and had it overnighted to me for $4 through my amazon prime discount. Instantly was blown away by the soundstage, crisp bass and just the overall sound clarity. My current setup is PC ---> HRT Music Streamer II ---> Schiit Asgard ---> HiFiMan HE-500 . Previously my setup was Fiio E7 ---> AKG K271 MK II so the two setups are literally night and day.

I've never been happier with a purchase.

Mar 6, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #1,534 of 1,717
The Asgard is quite an amazing amp.  In fact, I didn't quite appreciate just how amazing it is until I took delivery of the Trafomatic Experience Head One.  That's a $1500 amp.  The Asgard is easily 85-90% of the Trafomatic.  I'm not kidding, either.  Yes, my ears work quite well.

Mar 7, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #1,535 of 1,717

Quote:
I think it's perfectly acceptable that people want to actively cool their Asgard.  But, I hope it isn't out of fear of the heat itself.  I hope it's just another way to customize your rig and bring some aesthetic enjoyment to your setup.  The heat on the Asgard is greatly misunderstood.  In fact, it doesn't even get as hot as my other amps.  I have a Woo and a Trafomatic that get warmer than my Asgard.

I agree....also the Asgard is a pure Class A amp and is supposed to run hot......and was designed around that.

Mar 7, 2012 at 2:00 AM Post #1,536 of 1,717
If Schiit thought the heat was going to be a problem there is no way they would sell it with a 5 year warranty. I have had an Asgard for a week and have it vertical. It gets warm, but I would not consider it hot by any means.

Mar 7, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #1,537 of 1,717

Quote:
If Schiit thought the heat was going to be a problem there is no way they would sell it with a 5 year warranty. I have had an Asgard for a week and have it vertical. It gets warm, but I would not consider it hot by any means.

Why do people  so concern about "heat" ? It's a class A amp, it gets hot. It's normal. Why do people not complaint about heat with tubes? Tubes get hot. So what? 

Want cool amp? Get some class D amp.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #1,538 of 1,717
Asgard is solid state but your point is well taken.

Quote:
Why do people  so concern about "heat" ? It's a class A amp, it gets hot. It's normal. Why do people not complaint about heat with tubes? Tubes get hot. So what? 

Want cool amp? Get some class D amp.
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #1,539 of 1,717

Quote:
Asgard is solid state but your point is well taken.

I know it's a SS amp. What I try to say is come on people, put your hands on the class A Krell amp and tell me if it hot, I mean hot to touch . Use it and appreciate it .
Tubes get hot too by its nature, so why the complaint about the class A SS amp being "hot".

Mar 11, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #1,540 of 1,717
Planning on getting this along with the HRT II. Going to use them with Senn HD600s which I haven't bought yet. They'll be my first Amp and DAC and I've been hearing good things. I'm assuming I'm going to need extra cables to connect the two right... seems like this should be obvious but I have no clue. What kind?

Mar 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM Post #1,541 of 1,717

Quote:
Planning on getting this along with the HRT II. Going to use them with Senn HD600s which I haven't bought yet. They'll be my first Amp and DAC and I've been hearing good things. I'm assuming I'm going to need extra cables to connect the two right... seems like this should be obvious but I have no clue. What kind?

Blue Jean Cables?

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #1,542 of 1,717
Thanks for the reply. This is embarrassing though, I meant what kind of cables, exactly, not what brand haha.

So, uh... the laptop will be connected to the HRT II via USB. Now what am I using to connect the HRT to the Asgard? What kind of cables exactly? Just any old RCA? Or what.

Mar 11, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #1,543 of 1,717

Yup, that's correct, standard RCA.

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. This is embarrassing though, I meant what kind of cables, exactly, not what brand haha.

So, uh... the laptop will be connected to the HRT II via USB. Now what am I using to connect the HRT to the Asgard? What kind of cables exactly? Just any old RCA? Or what.

Mar 11, 2012 at 2:31 PM Post #1,544 of 1,717

Quote:

Oh okay, haha.  Sorry about that.  As Defiant00 said, RCA cables.

Mar 13, 2012 at 12:42 PM Post #1,545 of 1,717

Quote:

I had this same set up for awhile....cables....bleh. Just go to Monoprice. Spend the difference on beer or turtle racing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back