Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Jun 21, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #31 of 1,717

Quote:
@Jude
Just a feeling that you're on thin ice. If you give this amp an amazing review you are going to pI55-off all of the other vendors of low priced amps that currently support your site. It might be more reasonable to pass the amp out for independent review, so that you can retain impartiality. Just my opinion.

Since site's founding in 2001, I've used what I've used, independent of whether or not a Sponsor made it.  Sometimes the pieces I choose happen to be made by Sponsors, sometimes they're not.  I've brought one of my rigs to me to L.A. CanJam and CanJam at RMAF (2009), and it hardly looked like a Sponsor poster rig (although there were certainly Sponsor pieces within it).

I know you posted this before I posted what I just posted above this (in the post above this), but I'll say it again:  so far, the Schiit Audio Asgard is, to my ears, performing way above its $249.00 price, and, if Schiit Audio can make and support these amps in the long run (assuming my first impressions are consistent with long-term use and reliability of the product(s)), I think Schiit Audio has serious potential to shake up the marketplace here (it seems that may have already started, actually)--whether or not they ever sponsor the site.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #32 of 1,717
For some reason the styling reminds me of an xbox 360 or some other consumer AV device. I think that is another thing that helps to set Shiit apart.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:19 PM Post #33 of 1,717

Quote:
Long story short on the early impressions:  the Asgard is, to my ears, much more than $249.00 worth of amp, in terms of sound quality and versatility.

Thank you for taking the time to post your impressions! This just may be the anchor of my next big upgrade.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #35 of 1,717

Quote:
I've used what I've used,

It doesn't matter what you use, but one day it will matter what you promote. Whether you choose to see that or not is not my problem; I simply hope it doesn't come back to bite you.

Regarding the heat of the amp, the output devices are screwed to the base, so raising it off the deck by an inch or so should help.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #36 of 1,717

Quote:
@chesebert
Why? Have you discovered how square wave response directly relates to sound quality? Please tell.

@Jude
Just a feeling that you're on thin ice. If you give this amp an amazing review you are going to pI55-off all of the other vendors of low priced amps that currently support your site. It might be more reasonable to pass the amp out for independent review, so that you can retain impartiality. Just my opinion. 

square wave can be represented by a combination of DC, sine and cosine waves of different frequencies and amplitudes.  It's an important waveform to measure many parameters of an audio amplifier. If you can think of music signal, at one instance, as a combination of DC, sine and cosine waves of different frequencies and amplitude, you will appreciate the utility of square wave.

Jun 21, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #37 of 1,717

Quote:
I've been contacted and asked for impressions.  I'm swamped at the moment, but here are some bulletpoints:

PROS:
  1. So far, it easily and very nicely drives all low-impedance full-size headphones I tried with it (SHURE SRH840, Grado HF-2, Grado HF-1, Grado GS-1000, Sennheiser HD380 Pro) very nicely.
  2. It also drives the Sennheiser HD600/650 very nicely.  The Sennheiser HD800 (which I find to be very amp-picky) is also nicely compatible with the Asgard--that pairing (HD800/Asgard) makes a very nice budget rig (if you can call any rig with a $1400 headphone in it "budget").
  3. The sound signature is on the smooth side, which I like--still detailed, but on the smoother side.  It has a nice sense of ease with pretty much everything I've plugged into it.  If you want analytical, look elsewhere.
  4. The Asgard has nice jump--it hasn't felt underpowered at all.  In fact, the Asgard seems to me to have ample reserves of power for most of what we'd use it for (normal non-K1000 headphones).  I've not yet driven it to where it loses any poise--keep in mind that I don't listen loud, so my testing in this regard has been rather transient.  I haven't tried it with my AKG K340 yet, which I've found to be a challenging headphone to drive.
  5. It is quiet with all full-sized headphones I've tried with it.
  6. It's $249.00.

CONS:
  1. It can drive my custom IEMs, but the isolation of the IEMs (plus their sensitivity), does reveal some of the Asgard's self-noise, however low-level.  In short, it's not as quiet as most of the good portable amps I've tried with the same IEMs.  Still, the noise is low-level enough that the Asgard is still very listenable with IEMs.  (But don't make it your first choice of amp if driving UE18 Pros or JH13 Pros is your primary thing.)
  2. It runs hot.  This doesn't personally bother me, but some consider that a con, so I thought I'd mention it.  If you ordered the Asgard and the heat surprises you, you must've ordered it without seeing their website, as they make clear mention of the copious heat.
  3. The Asgard emits a very mild mechanical hum (from the transformer interacting with the chassis).  I didn't even notice it until I moved my rig from my work office to my home office (the latter having less ambient noise).  It is very mild, very low level--from where I sit, my laptop's fan kicking up masks it.  The quieter your listening environs, the more likely you are to hear it (obviously).  I want to emphasize that it's mechanical, and does not come through the output (you won't hear it through the headphones).  I'm not bothered by it; but I think part of that is tempered by the low price, and the Asgard's performance otherwise so far.

Also in the pros, the styling is very nice, and I think will find favor with many folks, especially at the price (I still can't believe the price).  One other small con:  I wish the RCA jacks were spaced a bit further apart.  My Cardas Golden Reference RCA plugs are pressing against each other (but they still plug in and work fine).

Again, sorry so brief, but it's still very early with the amp, and I'm simply pressed for time at the moment.

Long story short on the early impressions:  the Asgard is, to my ears, much more than $249.00 worth of amp, in terms of sound quality and versatility.

I have a Matrix M Stage driving all my headphones and it was 270.00 delivered runs cool for class A and no hum. Could be another alternative. The best part it does not sound like a budget amp.

Jun 21, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #38 of 1,717

Quote:
square wave can be represented by a combination of DC, sine and cosine waves of different frequencies and amplitudes.  It's an important waveform to measure many parameters of an audio amplifier. If you can think of music signal, at one instance, as a combination of DC, sine and cosine waves of different frequencies and amplitude, you will appreciate the utility of square wave.

Yes I know a music signal can be dissociated into component parts, but IT NEVER IS unless you push it into a meter. As far as I know it only has value in respect of looking at an oscilloscope trace, and does not actually tell you how it will sound. I may be wrong, and if you have any references that link square wave response to sound quality please post them, as I would be happy to learn more.

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:17 PM Post #39 of 1,717
"Jude", thanks for the initial impression bulletpoints, sounds like the major cons of mechanical noise and noise floor issues with iems. are far outweighted by the  the pros of smooth and powerful SQ with almost all other HP's. I believe there is a "fair warning" statement for someone using a lower than 32 ohm HP's that the Asgard may not be the best amplification for these. And it is fairly pronounced in the Shiit.com website that the Asgard will run warm possibly to the touch. Next up a Shiit Asgard vs. Matrix M Stage throwdown, (might even pay for this by way of pay-per-view if it's in Las Vegas). Happy Listening.

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:35 PM Post #40 of 1,717

Quote:
Yes I know a music signal can be dissociated into component parts, but IT NEVER IS unless you push it into a meter. As far as I know it only has value in respect of looking at an oscilloscope trace, and does not actually tell you how it will sound. I may be wrong, and if you have any references that link square wave response to sound quality please post them, as I would be happy to learn more.

Yes, a square wave can tell you a great deal about a component's performance capability, but if it means nothing to you, that's ok, because how it actually sounds means a lot more.

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #42 of 1,717
Thanks Jude, thats sounds like pretty much everything I wanted and hoped for in this amp.

Jun 21, 2010 at 8:44 PM Post #43 of 1,717

Quote:
I've been contacted and asked for impressions.  I'm swamped at the moment, but here are some bulletpoints:

PROS:
  1. So far, it easily and very nicely drives all low-impedance full-size headphones I tried with it (SHURE SRH840, Grado HF-2, Grado HF-1, Grado GS-1000, Sennheiser HD380 Pro) very nicely.
  2. It also drives the Sennheiser HD600/650 very nicely.  The Sennheiser HD800 (which I find to be very amp-picky) is also nicely compatible with the Asgard--that pairing (HD800/Asgard) makes a very nice budget rig (if you can call any rig with a $1400 headphone in it "budget").
  3. The sound signature is on the smooth side, which I like--still detailed, but on the smoother side.  It has a nice sense of ease with pretty much everything I've plugged into it.  If you want analytical, look elsewhere.
  4. The Asgard has nice jump--it hasn't felt underpowered at all.  In fact, the Asgard seems to me to have ample reserves of power for most of what we'd use it for (normal non-K1000 headphones).  I've not yet driven it to where it loses any poise--keep in mind that I don't listen loud, so my testing in this regard has been rather transient.  I haven't tried it with my AKG K340 yet, which I've found to be a challenging headphone to drive.
  5. It is quiet with all full-sized headphones I've tried with it.
  6. It's $249.00.

CONS:
  1. It can drive my custom IEMs, but the isolation of the IEMs (plus their sensitivity), does reveal some of the Asgard's self-noise, however low-level.  In short, it's not as quiet as most of the good portable amps I've tried with the same IEMs.  Still, the noise is low-level enough that the Asgard is still very listenable with IEMs.  (But don't make it your first choice of amp if driving UE18 Pros or JH13 Pros is your primary thing.)
  2. It runs hot.  This doesn't personally bother me, but some consider that a con, so I thought I'd mention it.  If you ordered the Asgard and the heat surprises you, you must've ordered it without seeing their website, as they make clear mention of the copious heat.
  3. The Asgard emits a very mild mechanical hum (from the transformer interacting with the chassis).  I didn't even notice it until I moved my rig from my work office to my home office (the latter having less ambient noise).  It is very mild, very low level--from where I sit, my laptop's fan kicking up masks it.  The quieter your listening environs, the more likely you are to hear it (obviously).  I want to emphasize that it's mechanical, and does not come through the output (you won't hear it through the headphones).  I'm not bothered by it; but I think part of that is tempered by the low price, and the Asgard's performance otherwise so far.

Also in the pros, the styling is very nice, and I think will find favor with many folks, especially at the price (I still can't believe the price).  One other small con:  I wish the RCA jacks were spaced a bit further apart.  My Cardas Golden Reference RCA plugs are pressing against each other (but they still plug in and work fine).

Again, sorry so brief, but it's still very early with the amp, and I'm simply pressed for time at the moment.

So this amp is the Schiit? 
biggrin.gif

Jun 21, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #44 of 1,717

Quote:

It doesn't matter what you use, but one day it will matter what you promote. Whether you choose to see that or not is not my problem; I simply hope it doesn't come back to bite you.

Allow my ignorance, but when did Jude promote this amp? Or does a review become one when it is done by him?

Jun 21, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #45 of 1,717

Quote:
Allow my ignorance, but when did Jude promote this amp? Or does a review become one when it is done by him?

Please understand that any positive review is indeed promotion or endorsement of some type. The more experienced the reviewer, the more serious the review will be taken, the more promotional and endorsing the review becomes. (You may not see it that way, and that is OK, so be it). My underlying point was that contributors to this site might not take kindly to the owner of this site being seen to endorse a competitor's product. Hence I was making a protective suggestion. If Jude wishes to ignore the advice then he is at liberty to do so, and I wish him well. Simple as that. There will be no further discussion of this from my perspective, so 'have a nice day'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back