Schiit Asgard: Unboxing and First Impressions
Feb 21, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #1,696 of 1,717
The explanation on the subject of bass seems logical. As far as the volume level or volume knob position is concerned I'm not so sure that it could be explained with lower loudness of rdac. As i've mentioned before i tried connecting the cd player directly to the amp and i had to increase the knob just about exactly to the same level to hear the same loudness. and connecting rdac to my integrated and comparing it to other sources didn't reveal any major differences in volume level. so there are two facts here that matter:1. the volume knob on asgard is about three degrees (12 o'clock compared to 9) higher as on my rotel for the same loudnes of the same source, trying different sources. and in addition 2. there are people who listen to their asgard about three degrees lower than i do. although our sources can not be compared, nor can headphones, until this moment at least. it is kind of unusually big and similar gap...my purpose in debating this is strictly to explain this phenomenon that i haven't been able to witness until now. and to of course exclude any possibility of auditioning fawlty unitS. ok I know it is highly unlikely that there would be something wrong with both units...

Feb 21, 2013 at 3:19 PM Post #1,697 of 1,717
Quote:
The explanation on the subject of bass seems logical. As far as the volume level or volume knob position is concerned I'm not so sure that it could be explained with lower loudness of rdac. As i've mentioned before i tried connecting the cd player directly to the amp and i had to increase the knob just about exactly to the same level to hear the same loudness. and connecting rdac to my integrated and comparing it to other sources didn't reveal any major differences in volume level. so there are two facts here that matter:1. the volume knob on asgard is about three degrees (12 o'clock compared to 9) higher as on my rotel for the same loudnes of the same source, trying different sources. and in addition 2. there are people who listen to their asgard about three degrees lower than i do. although our sources can not be compared, nor can headphones, until this moment at least. it is kind of unusually big and similar gap...my purpose in debating this is strictly to explain this phenomenon that i haven't been able to witness until now. and to of course exclude any possibility of auditioning fawlty unitS. ok I know it is highly unlikely that there would be something wrong with both units...

1. This is normal because integrateds and their volume pots are typically tuned for speaker use. Comparing the volume pot on integrateds to dedicated headphone amps, headphone amps will typically have to be set 'louder' to match volumes. Even with my Little Dot on max gain setting, my integrated gets louder much earlier.

2. Difference in loudness of the DAC signal, differences in software volume settings, differences in what is considered 'loud'.

Feb 22, 2013 at 5:45 AM Post #1,698 of 1,717
thaks for these clarifying answers. but I still find it hard to believe that skyline315's setup:

foobar-hrt music streamer-asgard

vs. mine

foobar-arcam rdac-asgard

produces such different loudness (different perception taken into account).

Feb 22, 2013 at 8:31 AM Post #1,699 of 1,717
Quote:
thaks for these clarifying answers. but I still find it hard to believe that skyline315's setup:

foobar-hrt music streamer-asgard

vs. mine

foobar-arcam rdac-asgard

produces such different loudness (different perception taken into account).

As a side note, I have also run my Project Debut Carbon turntable-->Pro-Ject Phono Preamp-->Asgard combo and have pretty much the exact same results as far as listening in the 10 o'clock region for normal listening.  I will say that I have to crank it up to around 12 for quiet classical music, but that's a rarity.

Aug 26, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #1,700 of 1,717
Just got an Asgard to go between my HRT Microstreamer and HD650/DT770 LE, and I'm LOVING it! Definitely tightened up the bass from using the Microstreamer on its own, also helped out separation and overall soundstage performance. For $140 shipped off ebay I couldn't be happier.

Oct 30, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #1,704 of 1,717
I just got my HE-500, I simply amazed. I plugged it into "Laptop >> Fiio D07 >> Schiit Asgard 2".

For now, I am satisfied with the D07/Asgard-2 combo and enjoying my HE-500.

Nov 1, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #1,705 of 1,717
Jul 1, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #1,706 of 1,717
hi all asgard 1 owner, i know this is a very very old thread.
just got my first asgard 1 from a friend. Love the amp.
at the moment i am output from xonar stx RCA out > asgard.

any good headphone around USD 300 or under a good match with asgard?
for now i am using philip x1 which is great too but want to try others.

thanks

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:19 AM Post #1,710 of 1,717
That depends on your front end and sound preference. I personally cannot recommend anything. I've not owned top tier cans. 

I had been under the impression that the HD600 or HD650 were used in the development of the Asgard 1. However I find the HD600 to be warm and dark. I prefer the liveliness and top sparkle of the Takstar HI2050. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back