Schiit Asgard + HD650 - New guy's opinion
Mar 21, 2012 at 8:00 PM Post #46 of 50
Just speaking from personal experience here.  I would not recommend the udac.  Anything else in that price range is better IMO.

From what I understand, the udac is not much better than the cdp 8. (have never heard the cdp)

http://www.stereophile.com/content/nuforce-cdp-8-cd-player-measurements

"This graph was taken with the Audio Precision SYS2722; the Miller Jitter Analyzer gave the same spectrum and calculated the jitter level to be 3.13 nanoseconds peak–peak. This is one of the highest levels of jitter I have measured, and about 20 times higher than in the best products I have measured."

Mar 21, 2012 at 8:34 PM Post #47 of 50

Quote:
Um, I'm also thinking about building a similar system as yours. Now with more confidence!

The HD650's sounded good with the asgard but I also have a pair of HE-500's coming and needed more power, so today, I returned the asgard and ordered the Lyr instead. it's $200 more and only time will tell if it was worth the extra.

Mar 25, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #48 of 50

Quote:
The HD650's sounded good with the asgard but I also have a pair of HE-500's coming and needed more power, so today, I returned the asgard and ordered the Lyr instead. it's $200 more and only time will tell if it was worth the extra.

Um...I also have the K701 and W5000. Can't afford to buy the ha5000 right now, so I'm looking for something else.
Look forward to seeing your reviews.

Sep 19, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #50 of 50
I also have a Yamaha receiver, and it has an awesome headphone amp.  You don't have to have a "dedicated" headphone amp to get the most out of your cans.

The yamaha receiver I have kicks up the lower mids more than my asgard does.  I find my DT990pros pair perfectly with the yamaha receiver and prefer it over my asgard.  In fact, more than likely, I'll pass on a dedicated headphone tube amp and get a McIntosh integrated amp in the near future to fill both speaker/headphone needs.  There are much cheaper options than McIntosh out there that will excel at both headphone and speaker set ups, of course.

If it ain't broke, don't feel compelled to fix it, I say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back