Schiit Asgard connection question
Oct 7, 2011 at 8:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

ravex3

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to this and I just wanted to ask a quick question on how to connect a Schiit Asgard (http://schiit.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=0&products_id=1) to the computer. I'm interested in buying this amp to hook up with my headphones, but I only see a dual RCA out and no USB connections of any kind. Would I have to buy a dual RCA-to-USB adapter cable? Would that harm the quality of the sound? If not, then which cables do you guys recommend? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Oct 7, 2011 at 1:58 PM Post #2 of 15
Hi!

what you see is an RCA IN not out. The only way to get sound into the AMP (Asgard is an amplifier) is via RCA. If your computer has a nice sound output you can hook it up with an 3.5mm to RCA cable.

HOWEVER:
I would recommend at least an entry level DAC (digital analog converter) like the Fiio D3 (if you have optical out from the PC) or the Schiit Bifrost, which is a DAC you can feed with USB or optical input. (all Macs have mini toslink optical out in the headphone jack by the way).

Then you completely circumvent the computers soundcard, which is usually a good idea. Alternatively to the great Schiit combo you could also choose a one in all solution like the NuForce icon HDP.

Cheers,
K

Oct 8, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 15

Quote:
Ahh... Ok great. Thanks for the advice! I will look into getting a DAC.

You might want to consider the Schiit Bifrost, would look nice stacked with your Asgard plus it should sound great.

Oct 9, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #7 of 15
Computer via optical or USB -> Bifrost -> via RCA Asgaard -> Headphones 

May 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM Post #11 of 15
Connect the Bifrost to your PC with coaxial SPDIF, optical SPDIF, or USB.

Connect the Bifrost to your Asgard with RCA interconnects.

The  "Premium Analog RCA Cables" at monoprice are well made, and a 3 footer will set you back $2.89.

Blue Jeans Cable makes a nice RCA- the LC-1 - $30 for a 3 footer.

Of course there are tons of more expensive RCA cables out there, if you want to go down that road...

May 10, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:
Connect the Bifrost to your PC with coaxial SPDIF, optical SPDIF, or USB.

Connect the Bifrost to your Asgard with RCA interconnects.

The  "Premium Analog RCA Cables" at monoprice are well made, and a 3 footer will set you back $2.89.

Blue Jeans Cable makes a nice RCA- the LC-1 - $30 for a 3 footer.

Of course there are tons of more expensive RCA cables out there, if you want to go down that road...

+1 to them all.  The monoprice ones are nice enough.  I happen to be running Audioquest "Y-splitter" cables since I'm feeding two amps from Bifrost, and they are nice, short, 6" cables which is all one needs (plus some right angle adapters and M->F gender benders when using the y spliters.  Unlike the rest of the Audioquest lineup their splitters are quite affordable at $15 a pop. 

+1 on the BJCs.  They can, on special request, make a 6" Belden 1855 with right angle connectors and no boots which would be perfect if you want a "clean" solution on the back of the Schiit stack.  Lots of options, go with cheap & easy or a little pricier with more waiting and a custom cut.  How ever you like it.

Sep 23, 2012 at 7:04 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

+1 to them all.  The monoprice ones are nice enough.  I happen to be running Audioquest "Y-splitter" cables since I'm feeding two amps from Bifrost, and they are nice, short, 6" cables which is all one needs (plus some right angle adapters and M->F gender benders when using the y spliters.  

Would this work with powered speakers, too--splitting from the bitfrost to a headamp and powered speakers??

Dec 5, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 15
Hi, I recenty got a denon d2k and plan to pair it with a schiit asgard which is on the way. I use Mac mini with optical out to audiosector dac and Rca to Nad 320bee. Is there any way to split the rca out from my dac and connect both the nad amp and schiit asgard inputs, so that i dont have to change the dac ouput everytime. Any help will be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back