Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Feb 11, 2023 at 1:06 AM Post #2,641 of 2,857
I’ve had my eye on the Jot2 but after reading some reviews it sounds like the Asg3 sounds better and is almost half the price.

Feb 11, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #2,642 of 2,857
I’ve had my eye on the Jot2 but after reading some reviews it sounds like the Asg3 sounds better and is almost half the price.
The Jot2 has the advantage of having balanced connections and at 32 ohm it can generate up to 7.5 watts. However, if you don't have headphones with balanced interconnects this drops to 2w. The Asgard however, which is only single ended will give you 3.5 watts at 32 ohms which is a significant difference. If you don't need a balanced connection then the Asgard is a no brainer. Basically, the A3 will drive just about any headphone you throw at it.

Looking at the headphones listed that you own I can't see the need for the Jotunheim.

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:21 AM Post #2,643 of 2,857
The Jot2 has the advantage of having balanced connections and at 32 ohm it can generate up to 7.5 watts. However, if you don't have headphones with balanced interconnects this drops to 2w. The Asgard however, which is only single ended will give you 3.5 watts at 32 ohms which is a significant difference. If you don't need a balanced connection then the Asgard is a no brainer. Basically, the A3 will drive just about any headphone you throw at it.

Looking at the headphones listed that you own I can't see the need for the Jotunheim.
That it’s very good reasoning. At the moment, I use my IEMs with a 4.4mm connection. Hopefully my Indigos come tomorrow. I’m wondering if it would be a side grade from my Topping stack, or if the Asg3 would make my new MMB2 sound even better. I was planning on getting a balanced DAC down the road and get the Jot2 now. I also want to get some full sized headphones again, but that would be down the road too.

Feb 11, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #2,644 of 2,857
That it’s very good reasoning. At the moment, I use my IEMs with a 4.4mm connection. Hopefully my Indigos come tomorrow. I’m wondering if it would be a side grade from my Topping stack, or if the Asg3 would make my new MMB2 sound even better. I was planning on getting a balanced DAC down the road and get the Jot2 now. I also want to get some full sized headphones again, but that would be down the road too.
I think I mentioned this in another thread: you have IER-Z1R. Jot2 is a dead-set no brainer to get for that IEM alone for the paltry $150 difference in price. For that and any other IEMs you're using with 4.4, just get one of these and fuggetaboudit:
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/products/ddhifi-xlr44b-xlr-4-pin-to-4-4mm-balanced-adapter

Feb 11, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #2,645 of 2,857
Feb 11, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #2,646 of 2,857
..and that's also very good reasoning. Either the Jot or the A3 will pair with your MMB2 very nicely. I have the A3/Modi3+ combo and it sounds great - especially for the price.

Feb 12, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #2,648 of 2,857
Guys,

Would you rather buy Modi+ for Asgard 3 or AK4490 module?

Thanks!
Not sure you can still get the AK4490 module?

I’ve got the newer ESS module and it is fine as a simple all-in-one unit. However you may prefer to have the option of multiple inputs to the DAC, so Modi+ could be a better choice.

Feb 13, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #2,650 of 2,857
Would you rather buy Modi+ for Asgard 3 or AK4490 module?

Thanks!
Maybe I just have tin ears, but my Modi 3+ (AKM chip) and ESS module sound pretty much identical through the Asgard 3, so I don't think you can go wrong with either. There have been times when I've been convinced the ESS module sounds better, but I'm pretty sure it's just volume differences. I've tested on both the 6XX, 560S, Aeolus and DT 990 Pro, so depending on headphones YMMV.

Feb 23, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #2,653 of 2,857
The Asgard 3 really is a great all-rounder.

Feb 24, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #2,654 of 2,857
I may have a preference for my Lyr 3, but sometimes the Lyr 3 is a bit too much. I swapped out the Lyr 3 this morning, and I am listening to the Asgard 3 tonight. It's such a even handed and fine amp, the Asgard 3.
When you write that the Lyr 3 is a bit too much sometimes I'm not sure that I understand what that means. Is the Asgard 3 warmer, maybe more laid back?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back