Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2022 at 6:55 AM Post #2,356 of 2,857
Feb 5, 2022 at 3:26 AM Post #2,359 of 2,857
My Asgard arrived about a month ago and I've been putting it through it's paces and comparing it to my Burson Playmate 2. Now while I believe that burn in might work for headphones and speakers I don't see how it can work for something like an amp. However, it just seems to be sounding better and better. I am really liking what it is starting to do for my HD650s. I'm writing a review about what it does to the 650s but am still in the listening phase. I've got over 11 words but think I'm due for a big edit when I've done the first draft. I might make the review Asgard 3/HD650 specific.

Feb 5, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #2,360 of 2,857
.... I'm writing a review about what it does to the 650s but am still in the listening phase. I've got over 11 words but think I'm due for a big edit when I've done the first draft. I might make the review Asgard 3/HD650 specific.
Hmmm...some judicious editing/formatting and you could make it a Haiku Review :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022 at 10:59 AM Post #2,361 of 2,857
My Asgard arrived about a month ago and I've been putting it through it's paces and comparing it to my Burson Playmate 2. Now while I believe that burn in might work for headphones and speakers I don't see how it can work for something like an amp. However, it just seems to be sounding better and better. I am really liking what it is starting to do for my HD650s. I'm writing a review about what it does to the 650s but am still in the listening phase. I've got over 11 words but think I'm due for a big edit when I've done the first draft. I might make the review Asgard 3/HD650 specific.
Took about 200 - 250 hours for the Asgard 3 I have to fully burn-in IIRC.

Feb 13, 2022 at 5:32 AM Post #2,363 of 2,857
Apologies for a question that might have been asked multiple times before:

Is there much of an audible difference between using the Asgard 3 with a Modi MB vs the Asgard 3 with the MB card?

I understand that you're losing port options going from a Modi to a card, but I can use the preamp out from the Asgard to my powered speakers so that's not a big deal.

Feb 13, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #2,364 of 2,857
Apologies for a question that might have been asked multiple times before:

Is there much of an audible difference between using the Asgard 3 with a Modi MB vs the Asgard 3 with the MB card?

I understand that you're losing port options going from a Modi to a card, but I can use the preamp out from the Asgard to my powered speakers so that's not a big deal.
Love my MB card. The all-in-one nature was very attractive to me.

Main issues discussed on the forums with it is a little lack of output voltage (I am not sure how that matters or manifests in the sound) and some lack of detail vs an external DAC.

Feb 20, 2022 at 11:10 PM Post #2,365 of 2,857
ASGARD 3 MINI-REVIEW

- The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth -

When I first got my Asgard 3, I honestly didn't know what to expect. Well, maybe I kinda did. All Schiit amps have a certain type of house sound. They all possess a high level of clarity and neutrality, and for some, that just isn't what they're looking for. Jason Stoddard will never make an amp that overtly colors the incoming signal. His goal always seems to be to design components that add nothing and subtract nothing, and this is laudable, but some people want the sound they hear to be colored in certain, pleasing ways. Components that create these various colorations do often sound enjoyable, and are even highly prized, but telling the truth is not their primary goal.
So why am I taking about truth? Because after carefully listening to the Asgard 3 for the past few days, that is the word that kept coming into my mind. But the truth is a double-edged sword, and it definitely cuts both ways. And this confused me for quite a while. I did a lot of A-B comparisons between the Asgard 3 and my Lyr 2, and I was pleasantly surprised by how close they sounded to each other. They both had nearly identical levels of resolution and clarity. Their soundstage sizes where nearly the same. And for a while, I marginally preferred the Lyr 2 for it's slightly richer tone (when used with my prefered tubes). It seemed to be the proverbial 'iron hand in a velvet glove', whereas at first, the Asgard 3 sounded more like it was all iron hand. Based on my first impressions of the Asgard 3, I wasn't sure if I was even going to keep it because of how similar it sounded to my already excellent sounding Lyr 2. But the more I listened, the more those impressions began to change. With the Asgard 3, I started hearing both good and bad things in familiar recordings that I had never heard (or at least noticed) before. While this was surprising in itself, what was even more surprising was the seeming randomness of it. A reference track that had sounded great through the Lyr 2, now sounded slightly less great through the Asgard 3. I could hear tiny little distortions and imperfections in the recording that simply didn't stand out as much with the Lyr 2 as they did with the Asgard 3. And the opposite would happen just as often as well. Tracks that I once thought were just pretty good but not truly great sounding, now sounded significantly better than I remembered them sounding through the Lyr 2. With the Asgard 3, some tracks sounded better than ever, some sounded pretty much like I was used to hearing them sound, while others sounded significantly worse than I remembered. So what was going on?!
I totally agree with you on A3 being non fatiguing. A3 + R2R DAC pair and it's truly amazing how this combo is easy on my ears. It would be even better if I found another amp like A3 that I can upgrade to. Have you found any higher end amplifier that is as laid back as A3 by any chance?

Feb 21, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #2,366 of 2,857
I totally agree with you on A3 being non fatiguing. A3 + R2R DAC pair and it's truly amazing how this combo is easy on my ears. It would be even better if I found another amp like A3 that I can upgrade to. Have you found any higher end amplifier that is as laid back as A3 by any chance?
Actually, I have. It's called the Lyr 3!

But I wouldn't call it laid back. I would call it a more tonally saturated Asgard 3. It takes everything that is great about Asgard 3 and adds a healthy helping of tone and texture to the mix. While it isn't world-class in any one category, what the Lyr 3 gets incredibly right (especially for it's price) is the way it brings out the body and texture in the music that I find so compelling to listen to!

And when combined with an equally amazing sounding DAC like the Denafrips Ares II, for me, it reaches that elusive tipping point where everything is sounding so good, you finally completely forget about all the gear and just get lost in the music.

The Asgard 3 is still a great sounding amp for it's price, but the Lyr 3 is simply better at bringing out the heart and soul of the music. :L3000:

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #2,367 of 2,857
The Asgard 3 is still a great sounding amp for it's price, but the Lyr 3 is simply better at bringing out the heart and soul of the music. :L3000:
Completely agree. The Asgard 3 is great, the Lyr 3 is great and the Jotunheim 2 is great! Maybe we're living in the golden age of Schiit? :)

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #2,369 of 2,857
The Magnius kinda ruined the Golden Age
Ah yes, the Magnius. Designed especially for people who look at measurements before listening. I listened to the Modius/Magnius combo at the Schiitr a while back and while the combo certainly doesn't sound bad, it sounds a bit flat to my ears and doesn't have that engagement factor that the Asgard 3/Jotunheim 2/Jyr 3 offer.

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #2,370 of 2,857
Ah yes, the Magnius. Designed especially for people who look at measurements before listening. I listened to the Modius/Magnius combo at the Schiitr a while back and while the combo certainly doesn't sound bad, it sounds a bit flat to my ears and doesn't have that engagement factor that the Asgard 3/Jotunheim 2/Jyr 3 offer.
…designed especially for people who listen to graphs…🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back