Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Jan 9, 2022 at 4:38 AM Post #2,326 of 2,863
Would you guys say the Asgard 3 is a decent upgrade over the atom stack? And if so, should I get the multibit dac card or just use my atom dac with it? Been looking around for something not quite as neutral as the atom and I think this might be just the thing. Any input is appreciated.

Welcome to Head-Fi and this thread. :L3000: Is there a particular aspect of the Atom stack's sound that you are looking to improve on? what model(s) of headphones are you using / planning to get in the future?

Asgard 3 is a really good amplifier, with both power and resolution; capable of driving anything from IEMs to full-size dynamics (Beyer, Senn, Focal) to newer full-size medium efficiency planars (e.g DCA and HFM).

If you are comfortable with self-installing a multibit or other DAC card in the future, I would just order the A3 without a DAC module and use with your Atom DAC for now.

Note that current Schiit DAC Modules (that fit inside Asgard 3, Lyr 3, Jotunheim 2, etc.) only have a single digital input (namely USB2.0) and don't have RCA coaxial, toslink optical, etc. inputs. If you are using those non-USB interfaces, then look at a Modius (presently AKM 4493-based) DAC to stack under A3. Alternatively, I'm guessing that some additional DAC models using ESS9028 series are under development and will be available 2nd half of 2022.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 8:42 AM Post #2,327 of 2,863
Welcome to Head-Fi and this thread. :L3000: Is there a particular aspect of the Atom stack's sound that you are looking to improve on? what model(s) of headphones are you using / planning to get in the future?

Asgard 3 is a really good amplifier, with both power and resolution; capable of driving anything from IEMs to full-size dynamics (Beyer, Senn, Focal) to newer full-size medium efficiency planars (e.g DCA and HFM).

If you are comfortable with self-installing a multibit or other DAC card in the future, I would just order the A3 without a DAC module and use with your Atom DAC for now.

Note that current Schiit DAC Modules (that fit inside Asgard 3, Lyr 3, Jotunheim 2, etc.) only have a single digital input (namely USB2.0) and don't have RCA coaxial, toslink optical, etc. inputs. If you are using those non-USB interfaces, then look at a Modius (presently AKM 4493-based) DAC to stack under A3. Alternatively, I'm guessing that some additional DAC models using ESS9028 series are under development and will be available 2nd half of 2022.
Thank you. I do like the atom stack, but it's a bit too neutral for me. I was looking for a higher end amp that also has some color. Which is what brought me here. With a lot of my headphones, the atom stack can come across as a bit cold. Like with my srh 840 for example. I've never installed a dac card before, but I do build computers. How difficult is this to install?

My headphones are the grado sr325i, Shure srh 840, Sony mdr 7506, mdr 7550, Sony xba h3, audio technica ckr9, ad900x, Sennheiser Amperior, and Logitech UE6000. I also plan to get a pair of hd 6xx down the road. Thank you for your help!

Edit: USB only isn't a big problem for me

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #2,328 of 2,863
Thank you. I do like the atom stack, but it's a bit too neutral for me. I was looking for a higher end amp that also has some color. Which is what brought me here. With a lot of my headphones, the atom stack can come across as a bit cold.
Too neutral seems like a strange thing.
Perhaps getting a Loki to fine-tune the sound you're getting is a better path.

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #2,329 of 2,863
Too neutral seems like a strange thing.
Perhaps getting a Loki to fine-tune the sound you're getting is a better path.
Maybe, but honestly I'm just looking for a different sound altogether. It isn't really the fact that it's too neutral. Maybe I worded it wrong. It's moreso that it's kinda boring. I'm looking for some flavor basically. I really like the way ibassos portable amps sound for example. I'm not looking for transparency. Not to mention I figured the Asgard might be a step up in terms of quality as well. I will consider the Loki tho. Thank you

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #2,330 of 2,863
Maybe I should save for now and consider my options. What I'm really curious about tho is whether you guys think the multibit dac is worth it.

Jan 9, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #2,331 of 2,863
Multibit vs D/S dac might depend on your musical genre preferences more than other factors. IMO, and I have both a gen 1 Bifrost Multibit and a Modi 3+, the advantages of Multibit is a better sense of "in the same room as the performers" when playing back acoustic & vocal music (well recorded jazz, folk, and classical). Poor quality recording and mastering (that sometimes imparts a one-dimensionality to the sound) can't be fixed by adding a Multibit DAC.

Consider a Loki Mini+ or using the Digital EQ (this might be available for free on your digital source) to add some 'flavor'.

Jan 9, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #2,332 of 2,863
Multibit vs D/S dac might depend on your musical genre preferences more than other factors. IMO, and I have both a gen 1 Bifrost Multibit and a Modi 3+, the advantages of Multibit is a better sense of "in the same room as the performers" when playing back acoustic & vocal music (well recorded jazz, folk, and classical). Poor quality recording and mastering (that sometimes imparts a one-dimensionality to the sound) can't be fixed by adding a Multibit DAC.

Consider a Loki Mini+ or using the Digital EQ (this might be available for free on your digital source) to add some 'flavor'.
I'll consider eq for sure. The multibit definitely sounds interesting tho. I listen to mainly rock and metal, so I'd probably benefit from it. Thanks a lot guys. I'll look into EQ and just save for now I guess. Maybe I'll wait for the new dac card before ordering like you were saying.

Jan 9, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #2,333 of 2,863
Maybe I should save for now and consider my options. What I'm really curious about tho is whether you guys think the multibit dac is worth it.
I listen to music that originates in a device, is transmitted through the air then recorded. The MB DACs are eye-opening for that kind of music.

I don't think music that originates in one electronic device, goes through a wire and then is converted to digital benefits as much from the MB magic.

What's really disturbing with a good DAC, like the MB ones, is hearing when the musicians were never in the same room at the same time...

Jan 9, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #2,334 of 2,863
Thank you. I do like the atom stack, but it's a bit too neutral for me. I was looking for a higher end amp that also has some color. Which is what brought me here. With a lot of my headphones, the atom stack can come across as a bit cold. Like with my srh 840 for example. I've never installed a dac card before, but I do build computers. How difficult is this to install?
If you’re comfortable building computers I don’t think installing a DAC card will be any problem at all :)

Jan 9, 2022 at 6:42 PM Post #2,335 of 2,863
I listen to music that originates in a device, is transmitted through the air then recorded. The MB DACs are eye-opening for that kind of music.

I don't think music that originates in one electronic device, goes through a wire and then is converted to digital benefits as much from the MB magic.

What's really disturbing with a good DAC, like the MB ones, is hearing when the musicians were never in the same room at the same time...
That's pretty interesting. The atom and dx90 being my best dacs, I never realized a dac could really push the sound to that level. I'm very interested now lmao. Will have to save up.

Jan 9, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #2,336 of 2,863
If you’re comfortable building computers I don’t think installing a DAC card will be any problem at all :)
Nice! I'm guessing you just open it up, place the dac inside, and plug it in?

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #2,337 of 2,863

My headphones are the grado sr325i, Shure srh 840, Sony mdr 7506, mdr 7550, Sony xba h3, audio technica ckr9, ad900x, Sennheiser Amperior, and Logitech UE6000. I also plan to get a pair of hd 6xx down the road. Thank you for your help!

Edit: USB only isn't a big problem for me
While the Shure 840 is quite close to neutral I would never have described them as cold as they have a very good midrange. Just goes to show what different amps will do. Do you think the Atom stack places more emphasis on the treble?

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #2,338 of 2,863
While the Shure 840 is quite close to neutral I would never have described them as cold as they have a very good midrange. Just goes to show what different amps will do. Do you think the Atom stack places more emphasis on the treble?
Definitely. The mids are actually fine on the srh 840 with the atom. But the bass is very weak. I wouldn't say it's an emphasis on treble. But moreso that the bass is on the softer side. A bit recessed, but it is detailed. The 7506 work much much better on the atom. Tho the mids of the 7506 are definitely more filled out with my dx90 and p5 falcon. This is why I was looking for something with a little bit of color. "Transparent" amps are really cool, but sometimes it's pretty lacking depending on what you plug in. My amperiors and UE6000 sound awesome on the atom tho. Grados work pretty great too, despite the lacking bass. Which is kind of weird

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:38 PM Post #2,339 of 2,863
Definitely. The mids are actually fine on the srh 840 with the atom. But the bass is very weak. I wouldn't say it's an emphasis on treble. But moreso that the bass is on the softer side. A bit recessed, but it is detailed. The 7506 work much much better on the atom. Tho the mids of the 7506 are definitely more filled out with my dx90 and p5 falcon. This is why I was looking for something with a little bit of color. "Transparent" amps are really cool, but sometimes it's pretty lacking depending on what you plug in. My amperiors and UE6000 sound awesome on the atom tho. Grados work pretty great too, despite the lacking bass. Which is kind of weird

for the headphones you listed, which are dynamic cans, the Atom should provide ample power as its rated >100mW @ 600 ohms, >500mW @ 150 ohms, 1w @ 32 ohms. sounds like EQ may be what you are looking for, a few (1-4) dB boost in the lower bass, a bit of cut in the upper bass to prevent bloat, etc.

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:06 PM Post #2,340 of 2,863
Have you considered adding a tube buffer preamp to your atom stack, or getting a tube amp? I use a tube buffer preamp with my Asgard 3, and it's <3, as the setup makes it a hybrid tube, which works well will low and high impedance cans and IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back