Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2021 at 7:01 AM Post #2,191 of 2,857
I've been using my Asgard 3 for quite a while now and haven't even thought about buying another amp. Why bother?
Definitely feel the same way. I know there are better amps out there but the price, performance and even looks of the Asgard 3 are more than enough to make me happy. Aiming for a Bifrost 2 and a tube amp, after that I just don't feel like anything else is worth the investment.

Except speakers. :)))

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:04 PM Post #2,192 of 2,857
Does anyone have a Silver Asgard 3 ( no module for sale?

Sep 16, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #2,193 of 2,857
Getting an ESS DAC card for my Asgard3, does anyone have a guide on how best to open it up and install it?

I can see it's got 4 screws on top, I assume I can just remove those and the cover comes off for me to then seat the card in it's slot.

Anything else more to it than that?

Sep 17, 2021 at 12:01 AM Post #2,194 of 2,857
Last edited:
Sep 17, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #2,195 of 2,857
head-fier @AndreYew kindly and helpfully posted on the main thread page 5404 about ESS DAC module installation in an old Jot 1.

here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-5404#post-16529582
Cool, thanks.

I've seen a video where someone does open up a Jot, which doesn't have the 4 screws on top of the box, rather you've got to remove the volume knob first and then you can force-slide the cover off the unit. And Jot also has the front-panel LED to deal with.

So I'm thinking Asgard3 will be a little easier to open up, anyone have experience with it?

Sep 17, 2021 at 1:17 AM Post #2,196 of 2,857
Cool, thanks.

I've seen a video where someone does open up a Jot, which doesn't have the 4 screws on top of the box, rather you've got to remove the volume knob first and then you can force-slide the cover off the unit. And Jot also has the front-panel LED to deal with.

So I'm thinking Asgard3 will be a little easier to open up, anyone have experience with it?
Just a few screws on the back/bottom, + you need to remove the volume knob. Nothing too complicated.

Sep 17, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #2,197 of 2,857
It’s relatively easy, first the volume knob has to be removed by unscrewing the small hex screw recessed in the hole on the side of the knob (it’s holding the knob tight on the shaft). Loosen the screw and then pull the knob off.
Then remove the four top phillips screws, and slide the top forward off the volume shaft and lift away. Done. Reassemble in reverse order.

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #2,198 of 2,857
The Asgard 3 is just plain good Schiit. I say more about it on my new YouTube channel:

Enjoy!

Sep 17, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #2,199 of 2,857
The mods are simple, I did not want to spend much on a stack that costs $470 after tax and shipping. But I wanted to see what dampening the main board, chassis and caps would do. I also shielded the Asgard 3 power transformer with TI-Shield. The end result surprised me, came out better then I thought. This can be done with any gear, all my home gear which is Proceed, Mark Levinson and Lexicon would first get this treatment before I did anything else. I am at work, will give more details and pics of after the mod when I get home. The end result is like on each the Asgard 3 and Modius 2-3 layers of noise level being removed. More resolving, better dynamics (macro and micro), slightly better imaging and separation. Maybe placebo but the Asgard 3 felt more sensitive to cables when trying different interconnects and power cords after the mods. And I also treated all mechanical connections including internal Asgard 3 fuse with Furutech Nano Liquid which was again an improvement. I did the Nano Liquid one set of mechanical connections at a time, listened, allowed 12+ hours of signal through the system, then listened again. I would consider the Nano Liquid more of a tweak and was awesome when used on the Audeze LCD-XC cable.

While I was researching the Asgard 3 I read a post from Jason S. from Schiit saying the Asgard 3 will be broken in after 150 hours of signal through the amp. IIRC mine took about 200 hours to fully open up.
I have an Asgard 3. I'd love to see the Jason post you read. Can you post a link?

Sep 18, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #2,200 of 2,857
I have an Asgard 3. I'd love to see the Jason post you read. Can you post a link?
That was a year ago I read the post he chimes in on. Sorry cannot remember where I saw the post. Could have been in this thread.

Sep 25, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #2,201 of 2,857
Just checking, anyone else Asgard 3 get mad hot on the bottom right side? I was actually thinking of putting my Bifrost 2 on top of my Asgard 3, as most of the heat of the Asgard 3 is dispersed on the bottom right, at least for mine. With the Bifrost 2 underneath it heats up the top so much I can hardly put my hand on it.

Sep 25, 2021 at 4:22 AM Post #2,202 of 2,857
Just checking, anyone else Asgard 3 get mad hot on the bottom right side? I was actually thinking of putting my Bifrost 2 on top of my Asgard 3, as most of the heat of the Asgard 3 is dispersed on the bottom right, at least for mine. With the Bifrost 2 underneath it heats up the top so much I can hardly put my hand on it.
I have the same issue, although I'm not sure if it's because of poor ventilation and/or listening on high gain, my experience is sorta inconsistent so I can't really vouche for that. But I can confirm the bottom gets much warmer than the top.

Sep 25, 2021 at 4:37 AM Post #2,203 of 2,857
It’s relatively easy, first the volume knob has to be removed by unscrewing the small hex screw recessed in the hole on the side of the knob (it’s holding the knob tight on the shaft). Loosen the screw and then pull the knob off.
Then remove the four top phillips screws, and slide the top forward off the volume shaft and lift away. Done. Reassemble in reverse order.
ok, so I’m having a go at removing the cover of the Asgard to install the DAC module.

however, there is no hex screw holding the volume knob in place, A3 is not like Jot2 in this way at all.

how else do you remove the volume knob?

Sep 25, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #2,205 of 2,857
ok, so I’m having a go at removing the cover of the Asgard to install the DAC module.

however, there is no hex screw holding the volume knob in place, A3 is not like Jot2 in this way at all.

how else do you remove the volume knob?
Volume knob just pulls off, then there is a thin bolt that needs to be removed. The first time I removed the knob took a bit of force, was very tight. Subsequent removal was easier but still tight. And the obvious 4 small screws on top of the cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back