Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2020 at 10:42 PM Post #1,636 of 2,857
I only tried the Magni 3+ (vs Asgard 3) at the Shiiter (Shiit's demostration storefront in Valencia CA), but did a long comparative listening session with my HD 6xx(650)s.

I like the Magni 3+, and the sound profile is similar, but I felt they pooped out when I started pushing the headphones at higher volumes. I went there leaning towards the Magni, but left with the Asgard 3. The extra power is useful when deriving 300 ohm headphone IMO.

I do have an online friend with Focals who--after hearing how much I liked my Asgard 3--decided to upgrade his Magi 3. I was worried he might not hear a big difference. He didn't. And he ended up returning the Asgard 3.

Still think the Asgard 3 is the better choice for the HD 650/6xx.

Bill

Dec 13, 2020 at 2:48 AM Post #1,637 of 2,857
You don't specify where you are "in Europe". Thinking $90 sounded high, I went to the Schiit site, put an Asgard 3 in the cart, and went to check out.

I chose a central European destination, Berlin, postal code 10115. FedEx International Economy $55.75. 2-4 days, tracked and insured.

As far as "import fees"; isn't it standard to charge VAT on any purchase made in the EU?

I could care less what you choose for your headphone amp. I do care that you throw shade on a US brand with inaccurate information.

Happy listening.
All the information I have provided here are 100% correct!

Dec 14, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #1,638 of 2,857
QUOTE="Spy Car, post: 16030635, member: 527507"]
You have the option to use an internal DAC card if you prefer not to stack a separate DACs and Amp. I sort of like the neatness of an internal card and went with the 4490. The Modius wasn't out yet and the Modi is a smaller footprint (so would stack somewhat awkwardly--not that many people haven't done so).

The Modius has new DAC chips and an improved USB connection, plus additional connections if you need to feed a variety of sources. So not a bad option if you want separates. The gear is such high value that I don't think you can go too wrong here.

If you need feed more that one amp the Modius is a no brainer. If not, are the upgrades worth the trade off of having a stack? I think many people would argue for the Modius vs an internal DAC card. I'm liking the minimalism one one box and have nothing else in this set up to feed. So I'm happy. Had the Modius been out I'd would have likely wrestled with the decision. But do like one box vs two.

Bill
[/QUOTE]

Bill,

I'm sort of where you are right now. In terms of the amp only function, is the Asgard better than the Magnius? I'm thinking I want the Modius over the internal card with the Asgard but, I'm unsure of the amp differences. The separate function of the Modius seems attractive and the Magnius appears to make for a better stack.

TIA,
Sid

Dec 14, 2020 at 12:37 AM Post #1,639 of 2,857
I only tried the Magni 3+ (vs Asgard 3) at the Shiiter (Shiit's demostration storefront in Valencia CA), but did a long comparative listening session with my HD 6xx(650)s.

I like the Magni 3+, and the sound profile is similar, but I felt they pooped out when I started pushing the headphones at higher volumes. I went there leaning towards the Magni, but left with the Asgard 3. The extra power is useful when deriving 300 ohm headphone IMO.

I do have an online friend with Focals who--after hearing how much I liked my Asgard 3--decided to upgrade his Magi 3. I was worried he might not hear a big difference. He didn't. And he ended up returning the Asgard 3.

Still think the Asgard 3 is the better choice for the HD 650/6xx.

Bill

def agree with you on the asgard 3

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:27 AM Post #1,640 of 2,857
Bill,

I'm sort of where you are right now. In terms of the amp only function, is the Asgard better than the Magnius? I'm thinking I want the Modius over the internal card with the Asgard but, I'm unsure of the amp differences. The separate function of the Modius seems attractive and the Magnius appears to make for a better stack.

TIA,
Sid

I was initially bummed when the Magnius came out shortly after I picked up my Asgard 3--as I have a pair of very fine Genelec powered near-field monitors that take balanced inputs that I might want to hook up to this system one day.

However, after reading many reviews it seems to me that the continuity circuitry in the Asgard 3 is generally more favored than the integrated circuit design used in the Magnius. I have not heard the Magnius, so I can't say by first-hand listening. I'd like to hear the Magnius when this [expletive deleted] pandemic ends.

For now my Asgard 3 is being used exclusively as a headphone amp, so maximizing the fidelity for that purpose makes sense for my needs.

Bill

Dec 14, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #1,641 of 2,857
QUOTE="Spy Car, post: 16030635, member: 527507"]
You have the option to use an internal DAC card if you prefer not to stack a separate DACs and Amp. I sort of like the neatness of an internal card and went with the 4490. The Modius wasn't out yet and the Modi is a smaller footprint (so would stack somewhat awkwardly--not that many people haven't done so).

The Modius has new DAC chips and an improved USB connection, plus additional connections if you need to feed a variety of sources. So not a bad option if you want separates. The gear is such high value that I don't think you can go too wrong here.

If you need feed more that one amp the Modius is a no brainer. If not, are the upgrades worth the trade off of having a stack? I think many people would argue for the Modius vs an internal DAC card. I'm liking the minimalism one one box and have nothing else in this set up to feed. So I'm happy. Had the Modius been out I'd would have likely wrestled with the decision. But do like one box vs two.

Bill

Bill,

TIA,
Sid

yes, both Modius and Magnius have 1.5" height, while Asgard 3 is a bit taller at 2.0" height. Modius DAC gives you the Unison USB plus the additional s/pdif digital inputs vs the internal 4490 card which is (c-media) USB only.

Magnius amp comes in black only, BTW.

The Asgard 3, however has choice of silver or black, has a bigger internal transformer, the Continuity circuitry, class A operation to 500mW (into 32 ohm load), 5 yr warranty (vs 2 for the Magnius), and is IMO the better option if you are planning to use it with low-impedance (e.g. planar) headphones.

I have the Asgard 3 (driven by a gen 1 Bifrost Multibit), very happy with the unit, but have not listened to the Magnius.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #1,642 of 2,857
yes, both Modius and Magnius have 1.5" height, while Asgard 3 is a bit taller at 2.0" height. Modius DAC gives you the Unison USB plus the additional s/pdif digital inputs vs the internal 4490 card which is (c-media) USB only.

Magnius amp comes in black only, BTW.

The Asgard 3, however has choice of silver or black, has a bigger internal transformer, the Continuity circuitry, class A operation to 500mW (into 32 ohm load), 5 yr warranty (vs 2 for the Magnius), and is IMO the better option if you are planning to use it with low-impedance (e.g. planar) headphones.

I have the Asgard 3 (driven by a gen 1 Bifrost Multibit), very happy with the unit, but have not listened to the Magnius.

Thanks!

I have a pair of HiFiMan HE-560 V4 Premium Planar Magnetic Headphones coming which has me back into the amp market to drive them.

With
  • Sensitivity: 90dB
  • Impedance: 45 Ohms
My normal sources won't drive them well and it seems like they will benefit from some extra power. With a good external DAC, it also seems like my 'future options' are better as I move to more pure digital source material.

I should also note, Schiit's website suggests both are available in either Silver or Black. Does one color sound better than the other? 🤣

TIA,
Sid

Dec 14, 2020 at 3:12 PM Post #1,646 of 2,857
for magnius, there is only a dropdown option to select the ac adapter. no color choice (black only)

for HE-560 45 ohms, I would go with Asgard 3.

Curious? I wonder if this morning's Google outage affected things. On the flip side, how hard is it to powder coat something black versus silver when they already do that on their other amps and dacs.

Dec 15, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #1,649 of 2,857
Hello everybody: I am new here and to headphones. I just got a pair of HD599's and love the way they sound. After reading through here I ordered the asgard3 and the 4490. It showed shipped today and I can't wait to get it. I know it sounds silly to buy an amp this powerful for these cans. But from what I have heard I probably will step up to the maybe the 650's and will have something to drive them. I use musicbee as my player so I can use the WASAPI as my source. I am not a young man so I have ripped a lot of older cd's I have as flac. I have Windows 10 and my question is will I just plug the asgard in to the USB for windows 10 to install it? Will it just bypass the onboard sound or do I have to change a setting. I am sure I will enjoy the asgard. I have enjoyed this forum already and sure there is a lot of smart people here.

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:35 PM Post #1,650 of 2,857
Hello everybody: I am new here and to headphones. I just got a pair of HD599's and love the way they sound. After reading through here I ordered the asgard3 and the 4490. It showed shipped today and I can't wait to get it. I know it sounds silly to buy an amp this powerful for these cans. But from what I have heard I probably will step up to the maybe the 650's and will have something to drive them. I use musicbee as my player so I can use the WASAPI as my source. I am not a young man so I have ripped a lot of older cd's I have as flac. I have Windows 10 and my question is will I just plug the asgard in to the USB for windows 10 to install it? Will it just bypass the onboard sound or do I have to change a setting. I am sure I will enjoy the asgard. I have enjoyed this forum already and sure there is a lot of smart people here.
Just want to say welcome and I know you'll love your Asgard. Unfortunately I'm not one of those smart folks that can answer your question because I still spin CDs and records but I know you'll get your answer. I've owned and own several pieces of Schiit and you can't go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back