Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Sep 25, 2019 at 5:14 PM Post #408 of 2,863
I bought a black Asgard with Multibit. Does it come with the multibit card pre installed? If not, is it hard to install?
If you select the Asgard 3 with the multibit card option from the Asgard 3 page, the card will come pre-installed.

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:53 PM Post #409 of 2,863
So, I'm quite new here, and I'm planning to make my foray into this world of audio, so I figured I'd ask y'all experts about a question re: the Asgard 3 that was on my mind.

Until I saw the release of the Asgard 3, I was planning on buying the Modi & Magni & SYS Schiit 3-stack in order to run audio from both my turntable & PC, and allowing me to use both headphones and a set of powered monitors.
(I.e. Turntable and Modi DAC would input into SYS, which goes into Magni AMP, allowing switching between the two sources. Then, powered monitors connected to the Magni via the pre-amp outputs, and of course, my headphones [either Sennheiser HD 700 or 660S, haven't yet decided] into the Magni as well.)

However, upon inspecting the beauty that is the Asgard 3, would I be right to conclude that the Asgard 3 w/ DAC card could replace that entire 3-stack, and still serve my purposes? I.e. Modi goes into DAC USB slot, turntable goes into regular RCA input, powered monitors to pre-amp'd out, and the source can be switched b/w DAC & turntable via the switch on the front? (And of course, with headphones plugged in, the powered monitor output mutes.)

Sorry if this is a lengthy yet silly question, but as I don't know very much about all of this, I didn't want to jump the gun and purchase without verifying my plan!

(Also, if you have any input on headphone choice [Sennheiser HD 700 VS 660S], and how they'd perform with a setup like the above, let me know :beyersmile:)

Thanks a bunch!!

Sep 25, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #410 of 2,863
If your only digital input is usb, then yes having the card integrated makes sense. In terms of the turntable, you do need a preamp if its not built into the turntable, but that would be necessary regardless

Sep 25, 2019 at 7:19 PM Post #411 of 2,863
(Also, if you have any input on headphone choice [Sennheiser HD 700 VS 660S], and how they'd perform with a setup like the above, let me know :beyersmile:)

Thanks a bunch!!
I have the HD660S, also had the HD650, and I think the 660s are the best thing I've ever heard, they sound incredibly good, better Dynamics than the 650, and clearer treble without being harsh, they resolve a lot more than the HD650 IMO.

I didn't try the HD700, but i read many times that they have a fatiguing treble, even in the official Sennheiser store from Chile (where I live) they don't sell that model for that issue, or at least that's what the store manager said.

Maybe there is a happy HD700 user here?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #412 of 2,863
So, I'm quite new here, and I'm planning to make my foray into this world of audio, so I figured I'd ask y'all experts about a question re: the Asgard 3 that was on my mind.

Until I saw the release of the Asgard 3, I was planning on buying the Modi & Magni & SYS Schiit 3-stack in order to run audio from both my turntable & PC, and allowing me to use both headphones and a set of powered monitors.
(I.e. Turntable and Modi DAC would input into SYS, which goes into Magni AMP, allowing switching between the two sources. Then, powered monitors connected to the Magni via the pre-amp outputs, and of course, my headphones [either Sennheiser HD 700 or 660S, haven't yet decided] into the Magni as well.)

However, upon inspecting the beauty that is the Asgard 3, would I be right to conclude that the Asgard 3 w/ DAC card could replace that entire 3-stack, and still serve my purposes? I.e. Modi goes into DAC USB slot, turntable goes into regular RCA input, powered monitors to pre-amp'd out, and the source can be switched b/w DAC & turntable via the switch on the front? (And of course, with headphones plugged in, the powered monitor output mutes.)

Sorry if this is a lengthy yet silly question, but as I don't know very much about all of this, I didn't want to jump the gun and purchase without verifying my plan!

Thanks a bunch!!

If you are not going to use a equalizer I cannot possibly recommend a HD700. It has got a very strange frequency response that many (most?) people will not like. Specifically its got a massive dip in the 3k region and a huge spike around 6k which gives it a really strange sound, If you fix it with EQ, its actually a quite nice headphone, it has a huge soundstage and is very comfortable..but if you hate eq...try it before you buy it!

The 660s is a great headphone and is super easy to recommend to anyone. It is one of my favorite rock/metal headphones as its got a forward engaging midrange as well as nice, fast and clean bass. Its one of the best headphones out there for music enjoyment IMO and is my favorite unequalized sound signature to date. Its only flaw is that it is not as good of a reference as the HD 650 imo. The 650 has near perfect timbre and the 660s trades that for improvements in other areas. if you are just looking to enjoy music though, 660s is a top pick.

Both the HD700 and the 660s should work great with the Asgard 3 as they are both very efficent headphones and shouldnt need more than 500mw of power for most stuff which means they will stay within the Class A bias of the Asgard.

Sep 25, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #413 of 2,863
If you are not going to use a equalizer I cannot possibly recommend a HD700. It has got a very strange frequency response that many (most?) people will not like. Specifically its got a massive dip in the 3k region and a huge spike around 6k which gives it a really strange sound, If you fix it with EQ, its actually a quite nice headphone, it has a huge soundstage and is very comfortable..but if you hate eq...try it before you buy it!

The 660s is a great headphone and is super easy to recommend to anyone. It is one of my favorite rock/metal headphones as its got a forward engaging midrange as well as nice, fast and clean bass. Its one of the best headphones out there for music enjoyment IMO and is my favorite unequalized sound signature to date. Its only flaw is that it is not as good of a reference as the HD 650 imo. The 650 has near perfect timbre and the 660s trades that for improvements in other areas. if you are just looking to enjoy music though, 660s is a top pick.

Both the HD700 and the 660s should work great with the Asgard 3 as they are both very efficent headphones and shouldnt need more than 500mw of power for most stuff which means they will stay within the Class A bias of the Asgard.

Does that mean that moving the switch to high gain moves the amp out of the class A bias?

Sep 25, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #415 of 2,863
I have the HD660S, also had the HD650, and I think the 660s are the best thing I've ever heard, they sound incredibly good, better Dynamics than the 650, and clearer treble without being harsh, they resolve a lot more than the HD650 IMO.

I didn't try the HD700, but i read many times that they have a fatiguing treble, even in the official Sennheiser store from Chile (where I live) they don't sell that model for that issue, or at least that's what the store manager said.

Maybe there is a happy HD700 user here?

I have the Asgard 3 with the AK4490 dac module, a HD700 and a HD6XX (same as HD650). The amp is pretty neutral in my opinion, so the HD700 will sound bright as hell. The HD700 NEEDS TO BE EQUALIZED, this cannot be emphasized enough, or you will hear sibilance and the treble will drive you nuts. If you don't EQ, you will hate it as much as I did before trying to adjust the frequency. Because of it, I like to stay the hell away from bright headphones nowadays.

Between the two you mentioned, the 660S is a much better purchase. They have better resolution than the 650/6XX, while compromising a bit on the mids I suppose. I like more the 650/6XX though. I would also like to make a suggestion. Go look for a store where you can try planar magnetic headphones like the HIFIMAN or Audeze. You may end up spending more, but will definitely have a more exclusive experience.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 1:54 AM Post #419 of 2,863
@Asahi Templar I own a pair of HD650 and I wouldn’t call their timber “perfect.” Then again, I guess it comes down to the definition of perfect; to me, that means “neutral.” The HD650 definitely aren’t neutral.

@Mackles I suggest auditioning Focal headphones as well. I own the HD650 and the Focal Elegia and strongly prefer the latter (though, to be fair, the Elegia are about twice the price of the HD650.)

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2019 at 9:51 AM Post #420 of 2,863
@Asahi Templar I own a pair of HD650 and I wouldn’t call their timber “perfect.” Then again, I guess it comes down to the definition of perfect; to me, that means “neutral.” The HD650 definitely aren’t neutral.

@Mackles I suggest auditioning Focal headphones as well. I own the HD650 and the Focal Elegia a strongly prefer the latter (though, to be fair, the Elegia are about twice the price of the HD650.)

I agree. I have the JVC HA-FX750 and to me that's the one with perfect timber (much superior to the 650 in my opinion). I dunno if the wood in the iem is the responsible factor for this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back