Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Aug 31, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #48 of 2,857
Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #49 of 2,857
Sold my Asgard 2 after only a few months . I thought it did a fine job overall.... but It ran SSSSOOO Hot.
Yeah, that was definitely my biggest complaint about it as well.

And I'm happy to report that the Asgard 3 doesn't run nearly as hot as the Asgard 2!

While it does get pretty warm to the touch, the Asgard 2 would get nearly burning hot to the touch, and so would the volume knob. :warning:

Even when left on for hours, the A3's knob never gets more that slightly warm to the touch, which is oh so nice. :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 3:10 PM Post #50 of 2,857
Aug 31, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #51 of 2,857
I've updated one of my earlier posts about the sound of the Low and High gain settings.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-asgard-3-impressions-thread.914012/page-3#post-15157978

Essentially, I now prefer the sound of the High gain setting on all of my Schiit amps.

I only had a brief chance last night to listen to my Clears and Asgard 3 but I think at least for this combo I'll be sticking with high gain. On low gain the volume needs to be at at least 75% for me to achieve a comfortable listening level. On high gain the volume pod is under 50%. I don't feel like these levels introduce any audible distortion and provides greater flexibility in volume control. I like this extra flexibility especially with very dynamic headphones like Focal where you tend to make more volume adjustments more frequently.

Aug 31, 2019 at 3:18 PM Post #52 of 2,857
You don't run into channel imbalance with efficient headphones/iem's when using high gain? I'd imagine the knob would be at less then 9 o clock
Well, that's why the Low gain setting is there.

If you are having to reduce the volume level to the point where channel imbalance becomes a problem, then by all means, use the Low gain setting.

It's just my opinion that Schiit amps sound their best when set to High gain, but you may find you prefer the way the amp sounds on its Low gain setting. It's a free country! :gs1000smile:

Aug 31, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #53 of 2,857
Well, that's why the Low gain setting is there.

If you are having to reduce the volume level to the point where channel imbalance becomes a problem, then by all means, use the Low gain setting.

It's just my opinion that Schiit amps sound their best when set to High gain, but you may find you prefer the way the amp sounds on its Low gain setting. It's a free country! :gs1000smile:
Since you prefer high gain I was assuming you always kept it on that and maybe lowered the source volume instead of switching to low gain.

Aug 31, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #54 of 2,857
I'm happy to report that the Asgard 3 doesn't run nearly as hot as the Asgard 2!

Not surprising, since the A3 is not Class A.
The heat doesn't bother me at all. It was expected, as per the Schiit product page.

Aug 31, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #55 of 2,857
Optimum setting for a volume pot is about 70%, according to one expert on Hydrogen Audio. I've always heard level is best past 12:00.

Aug 31, 2019 at 4:22 PM Post #56 of 2,857
Not surprising, since the A3 is not Class A.
While this is technically true, the A3 is biased into Class-A at 500mW, which means that it is always running at 500mW, even if there is no signal.
It will only leave Class-A operation if the input signal requires the amp to produce more than 500mW of power, at which point it will momentarily enter Class-B operation.

So for all but the most inefficient, hard-to-drive headphones, the A3 will effectively operate as a Class-A amp.

Last edited:
Aug 31, 2019 at 4:51 PM Post #57 of 2,857
Just ordered my A3. Can't wait! :beerchug:

Aug 31, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #58 of 2,857
While this is technically true, the A3 is biased into Class-A at 500mW, which means that it is always running at 500mW, even if there is no signal.
It will only leave Class-A operation if the input signal requires the amp to produce more than 500mW of power, at which point it will enter Class A-B operation.

So for all but the most inefficient, hard-to-drive headphones, the A3 will operate as a Class-A amp.
True, but Class A operates at full power at all times, even while idling.

Aug 31, 2019 at 5:54 PM Post #59 of 2,857
Schiit Asgard 3 is quiet enough that it does not hiss on my CA Vega IEM whatsoever

IMG_1585.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back