Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Aug 29, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #17 of 2,857
Sorry to hear about your home - personally if I was you I would get the Multibit DAC. Less cable clutter but that's just my preference.

I went ahead and put my order in for the Asgard 3 with Multibit DAC.

I'll be testing it out with the Focal Clear so I'll report back with some impressions when I can.

Aug 29, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #18 of 2,857
Is there any reason to get a Modi Multibit separately since I need to replace my Modi as well? Or does it make more sense to get the new Asgard with Multibit DAC included?
Eventually you may want to upgrade the DAC card to one with Unison, and then the old DAC card is useless by itself. If you get a Mimby, and want to replace it with a Unison version (or any other DAC), you still have a useful DAC for other systems.
Or if you ever want to use coax or TOSLINK, a separate DAC is better, too.

But you'd need another outlet, a pair of RCA cables and more space, so I get the temptation to stick to a card.

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:40 PM Post #19 of 2,857
Eventually you may want to upgrade the DAC card to one with Unison, and then the old DAC card is useless by itself. If you get a Mimby, and want to replace it with a Unison version (or any other DAC), you still have a useful DAC for other systems.
Or if you ever want to use coax or TOSLINK, a separate DAC is better, too.

But you'd need another outlet, a pair of RCA cables and more space, so I get the temptation to stick to a card.

Thanks for sharing - the most useful scenario with the Modi is having the optical connection to use the amp/DAC with a gaming console (PS4). I think having the all in one is more up my lane though as I felt I didn't use the console with headphones much.

Looking forward to the Asgard 3, I got the shipping notification almost right away so I should probably have it pretty quickly.

Aug 29, 2019 at 7:59 PM Post #20 of 2,857
Is there any reason to get a Modi Multibit separately since I need to replace my Modi as well? Or does it make more sense to get the new Asgard with Multibit DAC included?
Sell your Modi and get the DAC option with your Asgard 3, All in one box FTW!

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #24 of 2,857
I really loved my Asgard 2. It was the amp that made me appreciate my HD 650 as I really did not think much of it before hearing it on the Asgard. I was like it sounds good, but not as good as everyone claims and surely not that much better than my 598 which was like close to $250 less at the time, then I heard it and was like oh my freaking g...osh. Nothing I have had since as really brought out those 650's like that Asgard. They say the Magni 2 and 3 are comparable if not better but I don't hear it at all.

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #25 of 2,857
They say the Magni 2 and 3 are comparable if not better but I don't hear it at all.
I own a Magni 3 and Asgard 2, and I agree completely. The Magni sounds nice but the Asgard sounds much better, richer bass & midrange, smoother highs.

I don't see anything about sound quality of the Asgard 3 vs. Asgard 2 on the Schiit site, just a lower price, more power and an optional DAC? My A2 already has sufficient power, drives my 250-ohm DT 1990 Pro plenty loud. In fact I use low gain almost exclusively.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #26 of 2,857
Nothing I have had since as really brought out those 650's like that Asgard. They say the Magni 2 and 3 are comparable if not better but I don't hear it at all.
Sorry, but no. The Magni 3 gets closer but is still not on the same level.
I actually prefer the Asgard 2 over the Jotenheim. Like, by a lot.
For me, the Asgard 2 was the least expensive amp that offered true high-end sound quality.
I just hope that the Asgard 3 continues that tradition.
I'll know soon enough. Mine arrives today! :grin:

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 1:28 PM Post #27 of 2,857
Placed my order for the Asgard 3! Now I can drive lower impedance cans with confidence...

Aug 30, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #30 of 2,857
My Asgard 3 with Multibit DAC just arrived. It is a thing of beauty! Unfortunately I won't have any impressions until tomorrow.
Congratulations mate. Seems like you're the first person in the thread to post about receiving the Asgard3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back