Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #1,127 of 2,863
try the DAC upgrade first, and listen to it for a week at least with different types of music. At that point, if still looking for a new amp, consider either Asgard 3 or Jotunheim if you want to upgrade the amp (these have the better Alps RK27 volume control potentiometers, and beefier power supplies). I would consider the Magni 3+ / Magni Heresy to be side-grades from the Magni 3.

thanks, do you have any opnions on the stand alone thx amps? i read a lot of praise for them while i dont see as much talk about the asgard 3 for example

Apr 21, 2020 at 9:09 PM Post #1,128 of 2,863
thanks, do you have any opnions on the stand alone thx amps? i read a lot of praise for them while i dont see as much talk about the asgard 3 for example
I don't know too much about the THX amps. I do know however that the Asgard 3 has a beefy power supply that can handle lower impedance planars and also work with 300 and 600 ohm senns should you upgrade headphones in the future.

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #1,129 of 2,863
Asgard 3 and Jotunheim also have custom AC transformers and linear regulators to supply the multiple voltages needed by the circuitry, while the THX amps (like the $499 one on Monoprice) look like they have a wall wart switcher with single input voltage (and use multiple switchers inside the amp, which can add more noise)

Apr 23, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #1,130 of 2,863
Is there a consensus on how the asgard 3 with AK4490 DAC pairs with the Sennheiser 6XX? Was going to pickup the 6XX just as a comfortable and easy to listen to work from home headphone. I'm sure those with that setup are enjoying it and not looking at forums, but figured I'd ask.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #1,132 of 2,863
Any opinions about the Asgard 3 vs the Drop Cavalli Carbon? Looking for a small desktop amp for my 2nd set up.

I have both amps (albeit the original Cavalli Liquid Carbon, which should sound similar to the Drop version), and I enjoy them both. The Liquid Carbon has the trademark Cavalli 'liquid' sounding midrange and has perhaps a little more of a tube amp character than the Asgard 3.

Apr 27, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #1,133 of 2,863
I read through this thread (which is now a ball of yarn) and learned a lot about the Asgard 3. Thanks to all for the info. My initial question was DS or Multibit DAC module? After all the reading I’ve decided to pass on the DAC modules and go with a Modi 3. While I really want an AIO solution for my desk, I also don’t want to regret my purchase decision in 6 months to a year when Schiit releases Unison USB versions of the DAC cards.

So for now I’m going to go with the Asgard 3 and a Modi 3. If/when Schiit releases updated DAC modules (dingle berries?), I’ll consider adding one to the Asgard and use the Modi 3 in another application. Thanks again to all for sharing your knowledge And experience.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #1,134 of 2,863
I read through this thread (which is now a ball of yarn) and learned a lot about the Asgard 3. Thanks to all for the info. My initial question was DS or Multibit DAC module? After all the reading I’ve decided to pass on the DAC modules and go with a Modi 3. While I really want an AIO solution for my desk, I also don’t want to regret my purchase decision in 6 months to a year when Schiit releases Unison USB versions of the DAC cards.

So for now I’m going to go with the Asgard 3 and a Modi 3. If/when Schiit releases updated DAC modules (dingle berries?), I’ll consider adding one to the Asgard and use the Modi 3 in another application. Thanks again to all for sharing your knowledge And experience.
I think the Modi 3 is a no brainer vs the add-on cards. Same price, more connection options.

May 4, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #1,135 of 2,863
Is there a consensus on how the asgard 3 with AK4490 DAC pairs with the Sennheiser 6XX? Was going to pickup the 6XX just as a comfortable and easy to listen to work from home headphone. I'm sure those with that setup are enjoying it and not looking at forums, but figured I'd ask.

Can't speak to the 4490 option, however, my HD6XX sounds great with with the Asgard 3. Excellent midrange clarity, nice treble
and decent bass (using it with a Schiit LOKI). The HD 6XX are not known for bass. IMHO the A3 is a great amp for the money,
and a very good pairing with the HD 6XX and HD 600. It also sounds surprisingly good with the Hifiman HE 4XX and the Fostex
T50RP MK3.

May 4, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #1,136 of 2,863
Can't speak to the 4490 option, however, my HD6XX sounds great with with the Asgard 3. Excellent midrange clarity, nice treble
and decent bass (using it with a Schiit LOKI). The HD 6XX are not known for bass. IMHO the A3 is a great amp for the money,
and a very good pairing with the HD 6XX and HD 600. It also sounds surprisingly good with the Hifiman HE 4XX and the Fostex
T50RP MK3.
Would agree with Asgard 3 comments...very good value imo. Currently paired with a Bifrost but have also had DS Dacs hooked up to it and enjoyed those setups as well.

May 8, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #1,138 of 2,863
@GearMe @Jimmyblues1959 Do you run the Asgard 3 in high or low gain mode with the 6XX? I think the high gain mode makes the 6XX a bit shouty, could just be me though.

I typically have the 6XX as all-rounders at my work desk (Cavalli or iFi amps)...

With the Bifrost/Asgard 3 system, I tend to use Clear, XC or Amiron. Don't notice any shouty-ness with those but, to your point, we all hear differently.

Will hook up the 6XX this weekend to the Asgard 3 and see if I hear a difference on Hi/Low gain settings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back