Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Oct 22, 2019 at 6:19 PM Post #633 of 2,857
Today I put the A3 in the second rack of my little headphone amp rack I have .It got a little warmer after 3 hours but I can't find a spot on it that would actually be called hot. Just the amp no dac. Probably leave it there I like it a little warm :)
Still surprised how cool it runs.

Oct 24, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #634 of 2,857
No module, no heat... Really lukewarm at most..

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #636 of 2,857
My Asgard 3 is on all the time and I either keep the knob beyond 12 on Lo gain, or at about 12 on Hi gain. It runs warm but not significantly warmer than my Magni 2 Uber used to run when I drove it about as hard.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #637 of 2,857
Both standing free, no enclosure... Asgard3 lukewarm, ModiMulti warm.
The Vali2 I used to use.. Well, tubes get hot... Duh..

Oct 24, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #639 of 2,857
Does anybody know whether the Multibit DAC module does oversampling? Curious as to what the sampling rates are that won't benefit from the combo-burrito filter.

I believe the multibit card, Modi multibit and old Bifrost does 4x oversampling while the big boys (Bifrost2 and up) do 8x.

Oct 29, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #641 of 2,857
Is it weird that there are still virtually now reviews of this? The only one I've seen is Steve Guttenberg. @Currawong has one he's reviewing. But nothing from anyone else?

Not strange at all. One other, highly popular product had zero reviews for about a year after it was released, and may not have even been entered into the Head Gear section for quite some time after it was available.

Oct 31, 2019 at 5:11 AM Post #644 of 2,857
Hi,

Thinking of buying a Schiit stack. Would Asgard 3 with multibit card be clearly better than Modi 3 + Magni 3? The price-difference is not that huge in Europe. I'm just a bit reserved after reading about how hot the a3 gets with the built in card and that the external Modi performes better than the internal (according to some).

Oct 31, 2019 at 8:34 AM Post #645 of 2,857
Hi,

Thinking of buying a Schiit stack. Would Asgard 3 with multibit card be clearly better than Modi 3 + Magni 3? The price-difference is not that huge in Europe. I'm just a bit reserved after reading about how hot the a3 gets with the built in card and that the external Modi performes better than the internal (according to some).

I wouldn’t worry about the temperature, Magni3 also gets quite warm. Even the Lyr3 doesn’t get very hot (except for the tube itself), on my Lyr3 I have just over 40°C on the top chassis. I doubt the Asgard3 would be warmer than Lyr3.

Compared to the Magni3, the Asgard3 is certainly the more capable amp, class A-ish with the Continuity output stage, as compared to class AB for Magni3. I can’t offer any sonic comparison though, as I haven’t listened to the Asgard3 much yet. Anyway, with the card, Asgard3 has one USB and one RCA input, while Magni3 only has one RCA input. However, the Modi also offers optical and coax inputs in addition to USB, which Asgard3 with card does not. On the sonic side, Modi might have a slight advantage by being in its separate enclosure, but both the Modi and the card use the same tech, so I think the difference would be subtle, at most, if there is any at all.

Moreover, Asgard3 with card is a one-box solution with one standard power cord. Modi+Magni make a nice stack, but use one wall wart each, and don’t forget the RCA interconnects.

I would go with the Asgard3 and card, but that’s just me :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back