Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Nov 2, 2019 at 8:17 AM Post #661 of 2,842
I’m leaning towards towards the Asgard 3 with built in Multibit dac for less clutter on my desk. The more I read regarding the 4490 and Multibit, the more uncertain I get though. Some say that the 4490 measures better and are the better DAC, while other says the Multibit is more musical and clearly better overall. Anyone compared them?

I also wonder if the USB input is the preferred option regardless of module or external DAC. It would be worth getting the external Modi 3/Modi Multibit if the SPDIF input sounds better.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 11:41 AM Post #662 of 2,842
Is there any reason to get a Modi Multibit separately since I need to replace my Modi as well? Or does it make more sense to get the new Asgard with Multibit DAC included?
My vote, go with the multibit DAC daughter board, that has all the USB optimization (my EITR & ModiMB).
I’ve even heard whispering that this combination gives the GungnirMB a serious run for its money.
Meh, YMMV...

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #663 of 2,842
I personally feel that the spdif and toslink on both modi 3 and modi multibit sound way way better then the USB implementation on those same devices. Modi Multibit was a May 2018 purchase, Modi 3 was bought in October 2018.

To clarify, I feel the soundstage, presentation, instrument separation, and depth are all better through spdif/toslink then USB. That being said I still like USB, just not as much as the others.

The same notes are all still there, just presented differently. I will use my 2ch nearfield setup as the main example. My desk is 60 inches wide, my speakers sit about 52 inches wide. With toslink or coaxial the soundstage goes slightly past the outer edges of my speakers, the separation and instrument placement is easy to hear (& see)

With USB the same sounds and details are still there, but everything becomes tighter and occupies a smaller space. Now the soundstage is about the 36-40 inches and it's harder to hear (& see) where all the instruments are placed.

Similar effect with HPs, but less pronounced. With HPs and USB it's like the sound is from from the front portion of the driver, as opposed to the whole driver with toslink/coaxial.

Just my experience, yours may differ.

I should also add that ALL of my USB experience comes from phones and tablets. Both Android and iOS, zero PC USB usage

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #664 of 2,842
I’m leaning towards towards the Asgard 3 with built in Multibit dac for less clutter on my desk. The more I read regarding the 4490 and Multibit, the more uncertain I get though. Some say that the 4490 measures better and are the better DAC, while other says the Multibit is more musical and clearly better overall. Anyone compared them?

I also wonder if the USB input is the preferred option regardless of module or external DAC. It would be worth getting the external Modi 3/Modi Multibit if the SPDIF input sounds better.
I think the input method is just up to your convenience. I'm fine with the Asgard 3 with the multibit card, because the only input I want is USB for mi desktop PC and laptop in my work, the sound should be the same as using SPDIF because both are digital (sends data, not analog signal).

If you don't want to connect other sources like console or TV via SPDIF is up to your needs.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #665 of 2,842
I personally feel that the spdif and toslink on both modi 3 and modi multibit sound way way better then the USB implementation on those same devices. Modi Multibit was a May 2018 purchase, Modi 3 was bought in October 2018.

This is sadly also my experience with other DAC:s. This is why I use a Allo Digione in my stereo setup. I think that Darko Audio in his review of the Modi 3 also stated that the DAC performed on another level with the Digione instead of over just USB.

All this choices make me kind of dizzy.. It would be so easy to just buy the Asgard 3 with Multibit card and connect it to my work computer. But I think that I would have a nagging feeling that it wasn’t optimal.

Nov 2, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #666 of 2,842
This is sadly also my experience with other DAC:s. This is why I use a Allo Digione in my stereo setup. I think that Darko Audio in his review of the Modi 3 also stated that the DAC performed on another level with the Digione instead of over just USB.

All this choices make me kind of dizzy.. It would be so easy to just buy the Asgard 3 with Multibit card and connect it to my work computer. But I think that I would have a nagging feeling that it wasn’t optimal.

Unison apparently takes care of this issue. I bought an old bifrost from Goodwill for 70 bucks a few months ago. It doesn't have USB, looking forward to unison release so I can get that installed.

Bifrost 2 is also in my future.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #669 of 2,842

I'd love to try what you both say, because I'm a bit skeptical about this. It sounds like saying "the audio files from my external hard drive sounds better if I use the SATA connection instead USB."

It's the same data, just transferred with different methods to the DAC.

But I have only the USB input of the Asgasrd 3 with Multibit card.

Nov 2, 2019 at 3:29 PM Post #670 of 2,842
With the Asgard 3 with Multibit card I am resolving enough to be able to clearly hear headphone cable differences with either of my headphones. I previously did not *really* believe you could. Pretty amazing for sub $700 system off an optimized laptop. Me wanting to try Unison could be characterized as Audiophile Nervosa.

Nov 2, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #671 of 2,842
With the Asgard 3 with Multibit card I am resolving enough to be able to clearly hear headphone cable differences with either of my headphones. I previously did not *really* believe you could. Pretty amazing for sub $700 system off an optimized laptop. Me wanting to try Unison could be characterized as Audiophile Nervosa.

Ok, took the plunge and ordered a black Asgard 3 with Multibit-card and a Pyst USB cable now. I hope that it is good enough and can give me joy for a couple of years forward. Never tried Schiit before but Steve Guttenberg seems to be a Schiit fan and I trust his opinions. Sad that Schiit is so expensive in Europe though.

I can post some comparisons later.

Nov 2, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #673 of 2,842
.....{{{snip}}}
It is crazy-making, isn't it? :ksc75smile:
Christ, the more I screw around with this ridiculous hobby, the more confused I become. I have an EITR-ModiMB and its feeding three different headphone amplifiers. Two of the amps have modified knobs (for my Wreck-It-Ralph hands). And since my spouse NEEDS quiet and we live in a condominium, towers of power or walls-of-sound (meaning speaker stacks) are out for me. I'm going all in with headphone listening.

BTW - last week a university ensemble visited our high school's cafeteria. I walked past and thought someone was using the mother of all sound recordings. I stepped into the caf and felt the floor's vibration. Nope. Nothing quite like it.

Dizzying choices? Damn. Yep. :smile_phones:

Nov 2, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #674 of 2,842
zoolander-meme-6.jpg
... the first movie was inspired. The sequel? Meh...

Nov 2, 2019 at 11:18 PM Post #675 of 2,842
Has anyone else noticed that the Asgard 3 sounds better on high gain, even with headphones that don't need the additional power? To me it sounds a little dull and less dynamic on low. The only explanation I've heard for it is higher feedback on low gain, not sure if that fully explains it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back