Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Mar 31, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #2,012 of 2,857
How do you like the Asgard 3 with the LCD-2?
It's a great pairing. The only other amp I've used with the LCD-2F was a Heresy so I don't have much to compare it against though. To my novice ears, the Asgard 3 provides slightly more impact and "heft" than the Heresy did. It doesn't sound as sterile if that makes sense. Tons of volume headroom too. I'm typically listening between noon - 2 o'clock on the volume pot if I don't have EQ w/a negative preamp applied on low gain. For $200 it seems like a steal. I almost went Jot2 but didn't want to have to recable with XLR just yet, although everyone raves about that amp as well, especially from the balanced output.

Mar 31, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #2,013 of 2,857
It's a great pairing. The only other amp I've used with the LCD-2F was a Heresy so I don't have much to compare it against though. To my novice ears, the Asgard 3 provides slightly more impact and "heft" than the Heresy did. It doesn't sound as sterile if that makes sense. Tons of volume headroom too. I'm typically listening between noon - 2 o'clock on the volume pot if I don't have EQ w/a negative preamp applied on low gain. For $200 it seems like a steal. I almost went Jot2 but didn't want to have to recable with XLR just yet, although everyone raves about that amp as well, especially from the balanced output.
Ya I’m concerned with switching over to balanced for the Jot 2 as well. But I’m worried about claims of “smoothness” lack of detail etc. From the Asgard. Hoping to pair with the Bifrost...

Mar 31, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #2,014 of 2,857
Ya I’m concerned with switching over to balanced for the Jot 2 as well. But I’m worried about claims of “smoothness” lack of detail etc. From the Asgard. Hoping to pair with the Bifrost...
I would imagine the pairing with the Bifrost would make for a really nice setup. I certainly don't hear any loss / lack of detail with the Asgard 3. The LCD-2 (depending on version) has a pretty relaxed midrange so if anything I feel the tonality of the headphones themselves play a bigger part in this than the amp. I've heard people describe the Asgard 3 as "slightly warm" but I don't have discerning enough ears to really give great insight as to if it's really coloring the sound at all. To me it sounds great. Full and impactful are really the words that come to mind for me. Maybe "musical" is the right term?

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2021 at 6:05 PM Post #2,015 of 2,857
I think the Asgard 3 is kind of neutral, at least to my old hearing. So much depends on what DAC I'm using or even interconnects. I listen to CDs using my older Marantz CD5003 deck as a transport and I'm now back to basics using either a Modi multibit or Modi 3. Even the coaxial cable that I use from CD player to DAC can change the sound. Sometimes I run my Asgard 3 to the analog plugs to my old Philips 680 deck with a TD1541A-R1 in it.
I patiently waiting for my new Schiit transport to sold to me.
My primary listening headphones are the Focal Clear Pros.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 31, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #2,016 of 2,857
Ya... I EQ my LCD-2 anyway aha... I was just worried that the Asgard might smooth over some detail.... but if not... I’m pulling the trigger... the price and feature set is perfect for my use case.

Mar 31, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #2,018 of 2,857
Decided to reorganize, and added a 2nd shelf

audio-gear-organized.jpg

Apr 1, 2021 at 5:01 PM Post #2,019 of 2,857
I would like to talk about smoothing out the details of Asgard 3. I spent several evenings comparing the A3 with my previous amplifier, which is still with me, on different headphones and different materials: rock, classical, modern music (noise, electronics, metal). And everywhere I heard anti-aliasing and less immersive audio. As a result, I put the A3 for sale on a local website and felt relieved by my decision. But, since there were no offers, I decided to make another audition of the A3 without comparison, using DT990 250 ohm. I went in circle - DP Machine Head and Made in Japan, PF Dark Side of the Moon vinyl rip, LZ Physical Graffiti, U2 How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb vinyl rip and DP Machine Head again. And some magic happened. I was delighted. Maybe because today was a difficult day and I am very tired. I heard some smoothing of details on the first LZ song and the lack of the usual nice echo effect in one place on the Dark Side. But I heard a lot of new things in these recordings, what I always expect from new equipment and what I missed so much from the A3. I heard amazing macro dynamics, roaring lows and a ringing highs, although the details... I just didn't compare today. So far I have removed the A3 from sale. I think if you are not comparing, you may not notice any loss of detail on the A3. While it became interesting for me to experiment with it further.

Apr 1, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #2,020 of 2,857
I would like to talk about smoothing out the details of Asgard 3. I spent several evenings comparing the A3 with my previous amplifier, which is still with me, on different headphones and different materials: rock, classical, modern music (noise, electronics, metal). And everywhere I heard anti-aliasing and less immersive audio. As a result, I put the A3 for sale on a local website and felt relieved by my decision. But, since there were no offers, I decided to make another audition of the A3 without comparison, using DT990 250 ohm. I went in circle - DP Machine Head and Made in Japan, PF Dark Side of the Moon vinyl rip, LZ Physical Graffiti, U2 How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb vinyl rip and DP Machine Head again. And some magic happened. I was delighted. Maybe because today was a difficult day and I am very tired. I heard some smoothing of details on the first LZ song and the lack of the usual nice echo effect in one place on the Dark Side. But I heard a lot of new things in these recordings, what I always expect from new equipment and what I missed so much from the A3. I heard amazing macro dynamics, roaring lows and a ringing highs, although the details... I just didn't compare today. So far I have removed the A3 from sale. I think if you are not comparing, you may not notice any loss of detail on the A3. While it became interesting for me to experiment with it further.
When I first got the Asgard 3 and Modius combo I was not expecting much because of the price, I am use to much more expensive home gear (not headphone gear). I ended up doing what I do to my home gear (amps, preamps, dacs, etc). What I did is on top of all caps, main board (where there are no signal traces) and chassis I used fo.Q TA-102 dampening material tape, then listened for changes. Very nice upgrade with just the fo.Q T-102, more resolution, everything much more in focus with improved separation with slightly wider and deeper soundstage. Then I shielded the internal transformer with TI-Shield and grounded the shield to the IEC inlet on the Asgard 3. I did the same with the Modius except I am still considering the grounding scheme for the TI-Shield. If EMI, RFI and micro vibrations are minimalized or addressed the Asgard 3 (and Modius) sonically are really good, crazy good for the money. To me the Asgard 3 is musical, a tad on the warmer side and can be very resolving. Reminds me a lot of the Proceed AMP2 amps I have downstairs.

Apr 3, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #2,021 of 2,857
When I first got the Asgard 3 and Modius combo I was not expecting much because of the price, I am use to much more expensive home gear (not headphone gear). I ended up doing what I do to my home gear (amps, preamps, dacs, etc). What I did is on top of all caps, main board (where there are no signal traces) and chassis I used fo.Q TA-102 dampening material tape, then listened for changes. Very nice upgrade with just the fo.Q T-102, more resolution, everything much more in focus with improved separation with slightly wider and deeper soundstage. Then I shielded the internal transformer with TI-Shield and grounded the shield to the IEC inlet on the Asgard 3. I did the same with the Modius except I am still considering the grounding scheme for the TI-Shield. If EMI, RFI and micro vibrations are minimalized or addressed the Asgard 3 (and Modius) sonically are really good, crazy good for the money. To me the Asgard 3 is musical, a tad on the warmer side and can be very resolving. Reminds me a lot of the Proceed AMP2 amps I have downstairs.
Thank you very much for writing about this, it all sounds very inspiring. True, I'm not sure that I will ever decide on such a feat, but who knows .. Maybe if you ever open your A3 again, not specifically for this, but in order to tweak something else, you could take a couple of photos and post them here, it could inspire someone (even maybe me) to reproduce your tuning. Thanks again!

Apr 6, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #2,022 of 2,857
How do you like the Asgard 3 with the LCD-2?
I'm using LCD-2F's with my Asgard 3 Multibit. I don't have a lot of experience listening to other gear, but I'm quite pleased with the sound. In particular, well mastered albums on various audiophile labels excel. In particular, female vocals, jazz, chamber music, and in general small venue, less complex tracks have a wonderful warmth, airiness and musicality with the Asgard 3MB/LCD-2F. However, more complex modern music, and orchestral classical seem a bit congested. When I pair the A3 MB with Sennheiser HD660S's that congestion abates a bit, the Senns sound 'faster' with tighter, but not deeper bass. On complex music, the low end gets a tad buzzy and imprecise with this combo.

One regret I have is getting the onboard MB card and not going with a standalone DAC (probably a BiFrost MB). I wonder whether that might "clean up" the slight congestion I hear with the MB card.

Of note, I listen to Amazon HD via Windows 10 as my only source...

So for me, Asgard 3 MB + LCD-2F might be a bit "too much of a good thing" in regard to warmth and gooeyness when it comes to orchestral classical and other complex music. As an example, the bass buzz that is purposefully recorded on St. Vincent's - Digital Witness is a bit too accentuated, and just sounds "flabby" with A3MB/LCD-2F...IMHO Sennheiser HD660S's might be a better fit for complex tracks like this...

Currawong talks about a "veil being lifted" when he compares the A3 with onboard MB card vs. BiFrost MB...we'll see, I'll probably add a standalone DAC soon (anybody want to buy a slightly used A3 MB card? :smile:)

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 3:26 PM Post #2,023 of 2,857
I'm using LCD-2F's with my Asgard 3 Multibit. I don't have a lot of experience listening to other gear, but I'm quite pleased with the sound. In particular, well mastered albums on various audiophile labels excel. In particular, female vocals, jazz, chamber music, and in general small venue, less complex tracks have a wonderful warmth, airiness and musicality with the Asgard 3MB/LCD-2F. However, more complex modern music, and orchestral classical seem a bit congested. When I pair the A3 MB with Sennheiser HD660S's that congestion abates a bit, the Senns sound 'faster' with tighter, but not deeper bass. On complex music, the low end gets a tad buzzy and imprecise with this combo.

One regret I have is getting the onboard MB card and not going with a standalone DAC (probably a BiFrost MB). I wonder whether that might "clean up" the slight congestion I hear with the MB card.

Of note, I listen to Amazon HD via Windows 10 as my only source...

So for me, Asgard 3 MB + LCD-2F might be a bit "too much of a good thing" in regard to warmth and gooeyness when it comes to orchestral classical and other complex music. As an example, the bass buzz that is purposefully recorded on St. Vincent's - Digital Witness is a bit too accentuated, and just sounds "flabby" with A3MB/LCD-2F...IMHO Sennheiser HD660S's might be a better fit for complex tracks like this...

Currawong talks about a "veil being lifted" when he compares the A3 with onboard MB card vs. BiFrost MB...we'll see, I'll probably add a standalone DAC soon (anybody want to buy a slightly used A3 MB card? :smile:)
thanks for your impressions!

Ya I think I’m just going to buy another Chord Mojo. I don’t need much power for any of my headphones. The LCD is my most power-hungry can and I can drive it off my laptop. I might look at Magnius and Modius or bifrost 2 and jot 2 but the cost of that combo plus cables might be too high to justify for my use case.

Apr 6, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #2,024 of 2,857
I don't own the Bifrost 2 yet but I find myself enjoying my little Modi 3 with the AK4490 over my Modi multibit with my Asgard 3 and Focal Clear Pros. I'm a CD spinner and use my DACs as external DACs on my old Marantz CD5003. I've owned the Bifrost multibit and Bifrost 4490 in the past as well as a Modius. I really couldn't notice a difference between the Modis and Bifrosts. Anyway, I'll probably hang on the Modi multibit because they'll be discontinued one day and it is a great little DAC. I find no need currently for a DAC upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 6, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #2,025 of 2,857
I don't own the Bifrost 2 yet but I find myself enjoying my little Modi 3 with the AK4490 over my Modi multibit with my Asgard 3 and Focal Clear Pros. I'm a CD spinner and use my DACs as external DACs on my old Marantz CD5003. I've owned the Bifrost multibit and Bifrost 4490 in the past as well as a Modius. I really couldn't notice a difference between the Modis and Bifrosts. Anyway, I'll probably hang on the Modi multibit because they'll be discontinued one day and it is a great little DAC. I find no need currently for a DAC upgrade.
" I find no need currently for a DAC upgrade."

Smart man! Enjoy your setup - most of this audiophilia is probably nonsense anyway :sweat_smile:. I'm listening to Sir Neville Marriner and the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields play Vivaldi Horn Concertos right now on the A3MB/LCD-2F and I'm utterly transported, everything is perfect. It's a disk I know extremely well, and love even more, very well recorded and mastered. I'm listening to the music and not the system, and it's glorious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back