Schiit Asgard 3 - Impressions Thread
Apr 6, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #2,026 of 2,857
" I find no need currently for a DAC upgrade."

Smart man! Enjoy your setup - most of this audiophilia is probably nonsense anyway :sweat_smile:. I'm listening to Sir Neville Marriner and the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields play Vivaldi Horn Concertos right now on the A3MB/LCD-2F and I'm utterly transported, everything is perfect. It's a disk I know extremely well, and love even more, very well recorded and mastered. I'm listening to the music and not the system, and it's glorious.
That's the ticket, listen to the music and not the gear. I've been a Hi-Fi enthusiast for almost 50 years and learned a long time ago that if it ain't broken don't fix it. I've been using the old Shure V-15 III cartridge since 1973 because I've always enjoyed it so why change. Thank you for that link too!

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 6, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #2,027 of 2,857
Using an Asgard 3 with mid-range low-impedance planars sourced by an old sony CD player, I can hear differences between a Modi 3+ and Bifrost Multibit (OG) DAC, both fed via coax (RCA) S/PDIF, and prefer the BF1 R2R over the AK4490 D/S. YMMV. Another reason Schiit offers both D/S and Multibit DAC solutions.

IMO, Modi 3+ is also a little bright with Asgard 3-- Modi 3+ pairs better with Magni 3+ (a really nice combo for $198 and with multiple digital inputs, too).

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #2,028 of 2,857
Using an Asgard 3 with mid-range low-impedance planars sourced by an old sony CD player, I can hear differences between a Modi 3+ and Bifrost Multibit (OG) DAC, both fed via coax (RCA) S/PDIF, and prefer the BF1 R2R over the AK4490 D/S. YMMV. Another reason Schiit offers both D/S and Multibit DAC solutions.

IMO, Modi 3+ is also a little bright with Asgard 3-- Modi 3+ pairs better with Magni 3+ (a really nice combo for $198 and with multiple digital inputs, too).
Definitely a difference between the Modi 3+ and either Bifrost multibit or Modi multibit, that's for sure. I couldn't discern much of a difference between the Modi multibit and Bifrost multibit when I owned both though. I had a Magni 3+ once and it's hard to beat for a hundred bucks. My experience with my Focal Clear Pros is just the opposite of yours. With the Asgard 3 and Clears I find that my Modi multibit is brighter than my Modi 3+. I'm just waiting for Schiit to release their dedicated CD transport and I stop using my old Marantz for a transport. When I feel like changing things up I connect the Asgard 3 to a Philips 680 I have with the TD1541A-R1 chip in it. I like that combo for mono discs. I'm definitely a Schiithead though.

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #2,031 of 2,857
Could not hear a difference between my modi 3 with asgard 3, and bifrost 2 and asgard 3. Heck even with my RME it sounded identical when A/B testing level matched.
It's difficult to pinpoint exact differences in level matched A/B tests. Any difference is very subtle, but the sum of all differences do make for a different experience to many of us. Give the Bifrost 2 some listening time without focusing on wanting to hear exact differences. That's the situation in which you want it to make a difference, after all.

Apr 6, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #2,032 of 2,857
That'll save me money.
That's exactly the conclusion I came to. I think there is so much nonsense about "pairing" things that are in reality transparent and have no sound signature that in reality you can spend as much or as little as you want with whatever combo you want and get great sound. If someone can't point to you a specific section in a song that you can reproduce a difference between hardware A and B they are talking out their ass IMO.

Apr 6, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #2,033 of 2,857
That's exactly the conclusion I

That's exactly the conclusion I came to. I think there is so much nonsense about "pairing" things that are in reality transparent and have no sound signature that in reality you can spend as much or as little as you want with whatever combo you want and get great sound. If someone can't point to you a specific section in a song that you can reproduce a difference between hardware A and B they are talking out their ass IMO.
Add the fact that I'm hearing through 68 year old ears too. I went from Sennheiser HD650's, which I think are great, to the Focal Clear Pros and that really enhanced my listening experience. Their dynamics fit my hearing perfectly.

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #2,034 of 2,857
If someone can't point to you a specific section in a song that you can reproduce a difference between hardware A and B they are talking out their ass IMO.
"Man In a Room - Something New" is one track I've used for blind testing DACs. There are several things going on in that track that are relatively apparent when comparing the Bifrost 2 against an AKM DAC. Most notably in how the snare hits, and the texture of the vocals.

Hope that helps. :)

Apr 6, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #2,035 of 2,857
"Man In a Room - Something New" is one track I've used for blind testing DACs. There are several things going on in that track that are relatively apparent when comparing the Bifrost 2 against an AKM DAC. Most notably in how the snare hits, and the texture of the vocals.

Hope that helps. :)
When I first heard the difference between a Schiit ladder DAC and a Schiit DS DAC my impressions were that the DS DAC was like being in the 3rd row and listening and the multibit DAC was like being on the stage. That was with my Sennheiser HD650's. With the Focal Clear Pro headphones I prefer that DS sound that my brain perceives. I have not heard the Bifrost 2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 25, 2021 at 7:20 AM Post #2,036 of 2,857
Quick question - if you opt for the Schiit Asgard 3 with the in-built DAC (either the delt-sigma or the multibit) - can you then use the Asgard 3 solely as a DAC, feeding its digital output into another headphone amp?

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:24 AM Post #2,037 of 2,857
Quick question - if you opt for the Schiit Asgard 3 with the in-built DAC (either the delt-sigma or the multibit) - can you then use the Asgard 3 solely as a DAC, feeding its digital output into another headphone amp?
No, it has preamp outs controlled with the volume knob that you can connect to powered speakers or a power amp, but not line outs.

Apr 25, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #2,040 of 2,857
DAC module converts digital (USB) to Analog (RCA or TRS type connections)

Line outs are typically fixed level, and pre-outs are typically adjustable volume. otherwise, both analog (RCA) signals, typ 0-2V rms range.

you can use Asgard 3 with internal DAC module (card) this way, but you are wasting the A3's amp section, which IMO, is very very nice.

connect it like this:

digital source (streamer, computer usb port, etc) -via USB-> Asgard 3 DAC module input -> Asgard 3 analog RCA pre-out -via stereo RCA cables-> RCA line input of another headphone amp.
just set the gain on the Asgard to 'LO', volume dial on Asgard 3 to max., and adjust the headphone volume with the other headphone amp's volume control.

or, if you reeeeallly like your other headphone amp, just get a stand-alone DAC like Modi 3+, Modi Multibit, Modius, or Bifrost 2 ($$), all of which will have additional digital inputs (USB, coax S/PDIF, toslink)

If you connect powered speaker to the A3's RCA outs, the A3's onboard DAC module (if so equipped) can convert digital (USB) input to analog.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back