Schiit Asgard 2 & Bifrost Uber stack, or Woo Audio WA6 with Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus?
May 6, 2013 at 5:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Pritolus

100+ Head-Fier
I have a dilemma here.
I'm in the market for some new gear, as I find my DacMagic Plus a little lacking.
I'm not even sure wether I want a new DAC or just a separate amplifier, it simply depends on what would sound the best.
I've narrowed it down to a stack of the Schiit Asgard 2 and Bifrost Uber, or the WA6 with my Dacmagic Plus.
I assume the WA 6 sounds better, but I also think the Bifrost Uber trumps the DacMagic.
The reason I haven't considered the Lyr is my headphone, the super low impedance Denon AH-D7000, clocking in at a ridiculous 25 ohms.
I listen mostly to metal, so there's a question wether solid state works better with fast bass drums. But again, I've heard so much good about the WA6 SE when paired with the D7000s. And the WA6 (now with pdps stock) apparently isn't far off from that.
Also, I've got chronic upgradeitis. So I guess getting the WA6 and upgrading the DAC later might work better, and there's also tube rolling...
Can anyone help me? I feel like I'm leaning toward the WA6 as I'm writing this. But that just might be changed when I wake up tomorrow
rolleyes.gif

tl;dr:
Got a DacMagic Plus and Denon AH-D7000. Listens mostly to metal.
Schiit Asgard 2 + Bifrost Uber
or
Woo Audio WA6 + DacMagic Plus?

May 7, 2013 at 1:21 AM Post #2 of 2
Hello there,

I think you should figure out if you want a solid state or tube amp first. WA6 is a tube amp and is significantly more expensive than the Asgard 2, which is solid state. Apples and oranges. I have no experience with the WA6, but considering the WA6 costs that much more, I would have to believe it is a higher quality amp, but not necessarily better than the Asgard 2. It's about preference and what you are trying to achieve.

I have an Asgard 1 and I think I will be picking up an Asgard 2 very soon for the added preamp capability. I do love the Asgard 1, but the only other dedicated amp I have is the C421 OPA2227, so I can't compare it to many others.

I also own a Bifrost and an ODAC. I have nothing but great things to say about the Bifrost. It is a truly remarkable DAC. I plan on ordering the Uber Analog upgrade, which should make it even better. Its upgradeability is something very awesome and unique that makes the device seemingly futureproof. I have no experience with the DacMagic Plus, but from what I understand, the Bifrost is a much better value and perhaps a better DAC overall, even more so now with the Uber Analog and USB gen 2 upgrades.

One recommendation is for your budget, why not consider something from Burson, too? I have only heard great things about them.

Best of luck,
Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back