Scary Mystery - Thousands of Black Bird die in flight and fall to the ground
Jan 7, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #76 of 215

Quote:
Quote:
Not picking on InFn-0, but goes to show that it's not too difficult to find a pattern if you go looking for one. Birds are pretty fragile creatures and die off in enormous numbers (along the lines of several trillion every year in the US) after their population peak in the fall. Not to difficult to continually generate stories of bird die offs with numbers like that.

Where the heck did you pull that number out of?  Trillions? 
etysmile.gif

About 1 billion birds die in the U.S. each year from running into buildings, and the estimated total number of birds at any given time in the U.S. is between 5 and 20 billion.

http://www.birdsandbuildings.org/faqs.html

Trillions...... lmao....

Oops, mis-read. Bit embarrassing to be off by a factor of a thousand, but what are you going to do. Thanks for the catch.

Point still stands though. Between the fall population peak and mating season, several billion birds still die off. You're still going to be able find plenty of odd casualty events of < 100 birds to continue an imaginary trend if you go looking for them.

Jan 7, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #77 of 215

Quote:
Lets disregard the sensible answers and formulate conspiracies because the truth isn't interesting enough.

Actually, looking back in the past, we already created the theories: now we just need to figure out which one is most applicable to our current situation
wink_face.gif

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-disaster-movie-explanations-all-these-dead-birds/

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #79 of 215

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oops, mis-read. Bit embarrassing to be off by a factor of a thousand, but what are you going to do. Thanks for the catch.

Point still stands though. Between the fall population peak and mating season, several billion birds still die off. You're still going to be able find plenty of odd casualty events of < 100 birds to continue an imaginary trend if you go looking for them.

I don't think this is an imaginary trend.  It's not just birds falling from the sky individually.  They are dying in lots by the thousands.

Here's the latest from the press:

"On Wednesday, GeaPress reported hundreds -- possibly thousands -- of dead and dying birds in Italy. Countless turtle doves were found scattered in the streets, in flower beds and hanging tragically from trees "like Christmas balls" in the town of Faenza. Many of the birds that fell dead from the sky were discovered with a mysterious blue stain in their beaks."

And I've even noticed strange behavior at my apartment complex.  We have these doves that live in the trees right outside in the gardens.  They have been living there for generations, as far back as I can remember.  But in the past week they have been acting kooky.  The slightest sound, just opening my front door makes them all scatter and fly chaotically into other trees and the side of our building.  In the 9 years I've been living here this has never happened.  Occasionally one bird will get spooked, but it's not often.  It has never happened with the frequency or this kind of mob mentality.  Something is definitely going on, perhaps a new virus.

Jan 7, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #80 of 215
Go ahead and speculate. I shall be waiting for the next issue of Weekly World News to learn the truth. (And how Batboy's new live-in is working out).

Jan 7, 2011 at 7:13 PM Post #82 of 215
Lol, chill guys the birds just forgot how to steer.

Jan 7, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #83 of 215
Yes i think it`s obvious whats happening here
biggrin.gif

On the serious side, do you know where to get one of those fancy rings?
evil_smiley.gif

Better safe than sorry, right.
It`s a shame the series got taken down btw. 

Quote:
Oh, I thought no headfier watched this series.. Finally it came up..

Never mind guys, soon we will be able to see our future and stuff haha
Quote:
OMG!! OMG!! It`s happening

Solution: The tv-series team really need to take down those towers now that the series have ended
deadhorse.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 6:30 AM Post #85 of 215

Mate, are you serious? It got taken down?
Thats a shame.. I was so curious about what was going to happen after the season 1 finale.. that really sucks
I hate these producers, you know.. they did the same with other favorite series of mine.. Heroes.. I'll never know what happens next haha
Quote:
Yes i think it`s obvious whats happening here
biggrin.gif

On the serious side, do you know where to get one of those fancy rings?
evil_smiley.gif

Better safe than sorry, right.
It`s a shame the series got taken down btw. 

Quote:
Oh, I thought no headfier watched this series.. Finally it came up..

Never mind guys, soon we will be able to see our future and stuff haha
Quote:
OMG!! OMG!! It`s happening

Solution: The tv-series team really need to take down those towers now that the series have ended
deadhorse.gif

Jan 8, 2011 at 7:29 AM Post #86 of 215

Quote:
I'm not particularly worried. Mass die-offs happen.

And you really need to put this in perspective. How many birds are there in North America?

I don't know and a quick search didn't pull up an estimate. But if there was one bird for every human, there would be a mid-nine figure amount. Pure speculation, but even if there's only 100,000,000, a few thousand dying at once is no reason for panic. If there was some sort of environmental disaster or disease, it would affect a lot more than a tiny fraction of a percent.

Of course, I think the causes of death should be investigated. But I'd hold off panic until a correlation shows up between these. Otherwise, they're isolated incidents and mass die-offs have happened in the past without triggering Ragnarok or other doomsday scenarios.

Now, all those mortgages and corporate bonds scheduled to reset at the end of this year and through 2012... that's something to worry about.

ummmmm ok...... what to do when panic? 

Jan 8, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #88 of 215

Quote:
I wonder though, is this a new thing, or is it "significant" because we just noticed?
Also, is it caused by humans, or is it a natural phenomenon?

Give the man a silver dollar!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40961721/ns/us_news-environment/

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40971404/ns/us_news-environment/

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #89 of 215

Quote:
Quote:
I wonder though, is this a new thing, or is it "significant" because we just noticed? Say all the Plankton and Krill start to die off at first un-noticed is it significant?? YES
Also, is it caused by humans, or is it a natural phenomenon? Say the Plankton and Krill die off due to natural phenomenon does it matter? NO

....why?  Educate Yourself to find the answer.  [hint] food chain.

Much like the "Global Warming" issue cause does not matter.  Fact is it happens and when it does most species die off, therefore the issue is how to survive it, not finding someone to blame.

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #90 of 215

Eco-system, what is it and why is it important that all species survive within it?
Birds eat insects, Less Birds = More insects, one insect in particular the Mosquito kills more people than anything else on Earth.  Are birds important?  Hmmmmmmmmm

Food-chain, what is it and what happens when it becomes tainted or broken?
Factory spills Mercury, Fish ingest Mercury, People eat Fish, People get Cancer....is it important that 1 million fish died from something?  Hmmmm perhaps it is because people eat fish Hmmmmm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back