Scariest movies around
Aug 20, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #16 of 82
Evil Dead.....

Seriously, I was more tickled than scared watching that movie.
tongue.gif
But I was rather old when I saw Bruce Campell covered with gooey blood, so the worms and such might have caused a greater trauma have I seen it younger.

Those that cause irreparable damage are:

Exorcist
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
Alien

and recently,
Saw

Aug 20, 2006 at 7:09 AM Post #17 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
anyone see the japanese film, "audition"? that was pretty creepy...

I've watched it, but sadly the main device used by the moive--creating an oh-so-damaging false sense of security--was totally lost on me (reviews on the net, the very telling dvd cover, and so on). I think I read somewhere that it had the highest number of walk-outs on its first showing for any film?

I knew that the first hour was going to be all fine and normal, with very slow pace and so on...and that that crazy woman would go all psycho on Mr.WhyDidITemptFate
biggrin.gif
. The torture scenes were quite excruiciating to watch though.

The main thing, however, is that while most horror movies upset me quite easily, Audition had no effect on me. I blame being prepared for it's surprise.

[MAN!! how many errors can you make in one post?]

Aug 20, 2006 at 7:59 AM Post #20 of 82
I thought Silent Hill was pretty scary. Not a whole lot of people like the ending but it definitely added to the scary factor IMO, since it's such a "dark" ending.

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #21 of 82
I do not like horror films, but the only one I've ever watched which genuinely SCARED me when I did was Blair Witch.

I thought The Exorcist was a superb film, and it was very creepy and disturbing. But those are quite different reactions than fear.

Aug 20, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #22 of 82
Finally someone listed Blair Witch Project. It was the scariest. I recently re-watched it alone at night, and even though I had seen it before it freaked me out again. If you haven’t seen Blair Witch, rent it, and watch it alone late at night. You’ll be freaked.

For the single biggest jolt: Wait Until Dark

Psycho (Original)

As a kid The Other (1972) freaked me out, but I haven’t seen it since.

Aug 20, 2006 at 2:48 PM Post #23 of 82
Open Water was chilling and brilliant. Defintly tense

United 93 was also tense to a high degree and Blair Witch Project was terrifying. All good movies.

Aug 20, 2006 at 3:02 PM Post #24 of 82
Texas Chainsaw Massacre (original)
The Exorcist
Lord of the Flies (original)
Threads

Aug 20, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #25 of 82
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr
I thought Silent Hill was pretty scary. Not a whole lot of people like the ending but it definitely added to the scary factor IMO, since it's such a "dark" ending.

I remember playing the original game back in high school on the PS and it totally creeped me out. I am going to have to see the movie when it comes out on DVD (in my netflix queue already!).

Aug 21, 2006 at 1:33 AM Post #26 of 82
Well, since the original post asked for one, I have to go with:

The Exorcist

I know a lot of folks younger than me think the movie is funny, but I was 18 when it came out and saw it at the theater with my girlfriend. I dropped her off (she was 16, her dad would have lterally killed me if I didn't bring her home) and had to go home to an empty house since my parents were at their cottage. I went home and turned on every light in the house. That movie scared the **** out of me.

Aug 21, 2006 at 1:57 AM Post #27 of 82
Another vote for Blair Witch. Scariest thing I've ever seen. I wish more movies would let your brain do the work instead of the graphic violence that is in more horor movies.

The single creepiest thing I've ever seen, was Seven for the same reason. All you got was B&W photos, forensics and your mind got to create the tortures.

I saw Seven in a packed theater and it was the only time I've ever been in a show where after the credits not a peep was made by anyone the entire way back to their cars.

Aug 21, 2006 at 2:10 AM Post #28 of 82
i watched the blair witch project a week or two ago when i couldn't sleep. didn't make things any better.

i guess i don't get spooked by movies. i think alien is more of a sci fi masterpiece that gets a little intense. poltergeist is another great movie, but i guess i'm not scared because i don't think my house is built over a burial ground.

the silence of the lambs and the exorcists are probably the two scariest films i've seen.

Aug 21, 2006 at 2:38 AM Post #29 of 82
I agree with the Blair Witch Project... It didn't have anything that was jump out scary but it really messed me up for a few days really bad and I was really paranoid going into dark rooms for a while... Too bad they tried to capitalized on it again and the 2nd one really sucked..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
Finally someone listed Blair Witch Project. It was the scariest. I recently re-watched it alone at night, and even though I had seen it before it freaked me out again. If you haven’t seen Blair Witch, rent it, and watch it alone late at night. You’ll be freaked.

For the single biggest jolt: Wait Until Dark

Psycho (Original)

As a kid The Other (1972) freaked me out, but I haven’t seen it since.

Aug 21, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #30 of 82
I mostly watch foreign horror since American ones have just been in the crapper for decades now. One of the creepiest movies I've seen (and I've seen plenty) is
Audition. Some of the scenes were just plain excruciating, though you should go in knowing as little as possible.

The Guinea Pig series are just plain brutal as well, Devil's Experiment and Flower of Flesh and Blood are just nearly impossible to watch.

Banquet for the Beast is probably the most notoriest movie ever for its mind destroying gore.

A Tale of Two Sisters is a very well done cerebral and wonderfully shot horror movie as well.

Suspiria is just one of the most effective and out and out creepy movie I've ever seen. Dario Argento filmed nearly the entire movie in primary colors, making even simple scenes of dialogue exchange seem tense and eerie.

Ju-On the movie the Grudge was based upon. Don't settle for the American remake, the original, while really slow in parts, builds up to a fever pitch with some scenes that are so DAMN eerie, that I guarantee, will probably never leave your brain.

Kairo - Again remade into the inferior Pulse, which for some strange reason abandons the premise of the original. This movie is similar to Ju-On in that it's a slower paced film. This is more of a cerebral scare, I love how Japanese film makers scare through the use of atmosphere, mood and suspense rather than sloppy CGI. This movie has much more to do with Hitchcock than your average teen slasher.

Three Extremes - Probably available at your blockbuster. This is a GREAT introduction to what Asian horror technique is all about. You get three mini movies from three of the best in the East, Takashi Miike, Fruit Chan, and Park Wook Chan. All three are BEAUTIFULLY shot, and all three are more then a little disturbing. It's a great chance to see what can be achieved through smart shooting, great directing and believable acting.

Catch you later,
Id

Users who are viewing this thread

Back