scandinavian countries have barriers to prevent overtaking?
Jul 3, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #17 of 33
If it's on every road, yeah it's overkill. But if they put it on stretches of road where there have been accidents. I can understand it. I've seen similar barriers on a few roads here in the states. Usually thought, it's just a double yellow line, which doesn't prevent idiots from passing on a blind curve. Try driving along and have some idiot coming around a curve on your side of the road. It's happened to me.

Most of the places I've seen it in the US thought are in urban areas where there really is too much traffic most hours.

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:15 PM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's on every road, yeah it's overkill. But if they put it on stretches of road where there have been accidents. I can understand it.

Yes, thats what they have done around here. Just on stretches where there have been quite some nasty front-to-front accidents.
According to the article I linked to above there are only 103km of roads with these barriers in Norway. So certainly not on "every" road.

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Al4x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
something like that would put me off moving to a country!

Oh my!
You certainly don't have a high tolerance before putting you off into moving to a different country. In that case I am 100% sure all countries have something to put you off...
rolleyes.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 5:20 PM Post #20 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my!
You certainly don't have a high tolerance before putting you off into moving to a different country. In that case I am 100% sure all countries have something to put you off...
rolleyes.gif

its cause driving is probably my favourite thing, and that would take all the fun out of it, as well as having to leave about 3x as much time to get to work

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

its cause driving is probably my favourite thing, and that would take all the fun out of it, as well as having to leave about 3x as much time to get to work

Yeah, that would be very annoying. Especially around here, where traffic is very tight.
Luckily its out of my daily commuting road. Apart from the first 4km there are 4 lane road (plus some bus lanes) all the 27km from here to my workplace. 20 minutes in rush hour (on a motorcycle that is).
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #22 of 33
If your favorite thing is to drive, wouldn't it be better if you had to spend 3x as much time in your car?
wink.gif

Anyway, where I live it is on a fast road and it does not hold up the traffic in any way. I really do not see the problem, unless you get behind a very slow moving vehicle, like a tractor, which are not allowed on those roads in the first place...

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:32 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If your favorite thing is to drive, wouldn't it be better if you had to spend 3x as much time in your car?
wink.gif

Anyway, where I live it is on a fast road and it does not hold up the traffic in any way. I really do not see the problem, unless you get behind a very slow moving vehicle, like a tractor, which are not allowed on those roads in the first place...

when i say driving i mean DRIVING ie not using a car to get to work but driving on fun roads etc

i actually think there meant for roads that get slower trafiic where you do want to overtake

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The problem specific to the road I talk about (Skui -> Sollihøgda) are that there are no way to pass traffic. Lets say a car collide, break down or whatever in the road it will block all traffic in that direction. Also those coming to rescue him (ambulance, fire truck, ...).

They will need to stop all oncoming traffic 2-3km further ahead, then drive against the usual driving direction. Chaos it would be. Especially on a major road like that one...

It prevent head on collisions though.

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #26 of 33
Quote:

when i say driving i mean DRIVING ie not using a car to get to work but driving on fun roads etc

i actually think there meant for roads that get slower trafiic where you do want to overtake

Nah, at my place it is on a road with 60mph speed limit, which is about the highest you can go in Norway anyway, except some roads. And, when they build new roads, the old road is often left as an alternative which will get you where you are going in a more fun way if you will.

Jul 3, 2008 at 6:43 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

The problem specific to the road I talk about (Skui -> Sollihøgda) are that there are no way to pass traffic. Lets say a car collide, break down or whatever in the road it will block all traffic in that direction. Also those coming to rescue him (ambulance, fire truck, ...).

They will need to stop all oncoming traffic 2-3km further ahead, then drive against the usual driving direction. Chaos it would be. Especially on a major road like that one...

Yeah, I know that road, I lived in Hønefoss and Jevnaker for a couple of years. Pointless in my opinion what they did there, but fortunately it is just for some kilometers.

Jul 3, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

So you like driving on the wrong side of the road around blind turns? Happy I don't live where you drive
biggrin.gif
Actually, I think I met some of your fellow countrymen who drive like you when I was driving on very narrow roads in North Wales. It was nerve wracking, especially when there was a stone wall right at the edge of the road too.

Quote:

We have that problem on the highways here in the DC area. During rush hour, the traffic is so heavy, they open the shoulders for driving. So there's no place to pull over if you break down and no place for emergency vehicles to pass traffic.

Jul 3, 2008 at 10:35 PM Post #29 of 33
Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that you Europeans call it "overtaking?" When I read the thread title, I thought it meant that Scandanavian countries had barriers to prevent other countries from taking them over...

Here in the US, we call it "passing." I guess we use a much less aggressive term because it's actually still legal
smily_headphones1.gif

Scandanavia is still the best place ever. I've always wanted to visit, and hopefully I'll be studying abroad there within the next three years in my studies in Furniture Design. You guys make the best furniture
biggrin.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Am I the only one who thinks it's weird that you Europeans call it "overtaking?" When I read the thread title, I thought it meant that Scandanavian countries had barriers to prevent other countries from taking them over...

Nope I thought the same thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back