Scammer: TRL (Tube Research Labs) / Paul Weitzel
Jan 15, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #91 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by grannyring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Again why so angry? Why the hate? I dont know you and most likely you have never dealt with TRL or Paul.

You dont know mw. Why the anger. Why to you call someone a scammer based on one persons experience years ago?
I assume that person had a real situation and like most things there are two sides. But, why attack me ? I feel like I am being attacked and for what reason? Why would some here call me a liar, lacky and other mean attacks? None of you know me!

If this is the way I , Paul and others are treated on this site, why would we ever want to post or help find common ground for truth?

I am sure this site has some great Audiophiles and gentlemen, but dealing with the few hateful people is very hard and such a drain.

I choose to have fun with this hobby.

Since you're on good terms with Paul, why don't you ask him to open up about his work?

If he's filed for patents, then everything is protected. Under US law, the first in time gets the patent. If his applications are in, then it would be indisputable that he's first in time. There is absolutely nothing to worry about. Besides, everything will be published for the world to see at the USPTO website.

Also, since Paul is a world-renowned authority, would you mind pointing us to published articles, books, scholarly work, a CV, or anything else telling us more about him?

Hiding behind a wall of secrecy while making incredible claims tends to be the domain of crackpots and conmen. But not always. Why not open up and prove TRL to be legitimate?

There are hundreds of successful, profitable companies that are very open about their products and services. My plumber doesn't operate in secret. He'll tell me exactly what he does. So does the guy who built one of my amps - I questioned him for a couple of hours. No BS, nothing hidden, very open. Hell, I build amps and still I bought one from him.

Jan 15, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #92 of 170
If I were a customer of TRL who'd had a CD player modified, for example, and saw this thread, I'd have no hesitation popping the screws out for a quick look to make sure there was nothing dangerous inside. Seriously, those mods in the pictures, what if they started a fire that burned down your house? Would you want to be plugging a piece of gear into the mains that had that potential?

Feb 4, 2009 at 7:24 AM Post #94 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by unison845 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand why not many people will share picture of TRL work.
Please go to this ebay link to see what TRL preamp is made of:

TUBE RESEARCH LABS PRE-1.7 PURIST TUBE PREAMPLIFIER - eBay (item 290293729506 end time Feb-12-09 19:03:12 PST)

What's the red tape on the right and left tubes for?

c5e1_3.JPG

Feb 4, 2009 at 9:09 AM Post #95 of 170
Oh my god, this guy's work is epic. I literally laughed out loud when I saw the internals of the OP's amp, and the ebay amp. This is bigger fail than a heart failing during cardiac arrest.

To the defenders who will not take pictures of the "patent pending" details.... Are you aware that anybody can look up a parent and see exactly what it is through the USA Patent Office? This is the only way that people can make sure they are not infringing on other patents. You taking a picture of what has already been documented by the Patent Office, is not saving anybody, so you are protecting nothing, other than shoddy work, which should probably never be patented in the first place.

On second though, "shoddy" does not really cut it.. Actually, "work" doest even cut it..

Feb 4, 2009 at 10:19 AM Post #96 of 170
I'm just going to say that I am a neutral in this, but every single person that posted in this thread in support of TRL just seems like a paid shill to me. The tone of reverence when referring to "Paul", the ridiculous wording and avoidance of anything fact based... just seems so obvious to me.

Feb 4, 2009 at 3:43 PM Post #97 of 170
Yesterday I asked one of my old time audio buddy what he is using for Digital playback, he raved about TRL Sony mod. I then started to read about TRL mod and their review in Audiogon, Audio Asylum, 6moons their Samson amp of how magical its sound. I then tried to find any internal picture of TRL work to see what they did that is so magic, a $500 mod that transform a Sony to a EMM DAC killer? To fool EMM, you got to do more than adding some black gate cap, external (low jitter) clock, changing op-amp.... and after spening hour of surfing, I could not find any picture of the mod. I started searching for picture of TRL internal amp, preamp and atlast I found one for sale on Ebay. The picture worth millions word! Yes I would be stupid to post these kind of picture trying to sell the preamp (and what a price!), but I would not hesitate to post any picture of any scam artist trying to fool honnest audiophile spending their hard earned cash. It is sad that high end audio are filled with scam artists, I went to CES 2009 and hear Audio Note (UK) equipment in their room, $90K Ongaku amp (the UK not Japan), $53K speaker, I was amazed how ****ty the system sounded, then a friend of mine show me how Wes Phillips of "Stereofool" raved about the same system, I am just shaking my head.

DO NOT SUFFER FOOL !!!!!

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #98 of 170
Quote:

Yesterday I asked one of my old time audio buddy what he is using for Digital playback, he raved about TRL Sony mod. I then started to read about TRL mod and their review in Audiogon, Audio Asylum, 6moons their Samson amp of how magical its sound. I then tried to find any internal picture of TRL work to see what they did that is so magic, a $500 mod that transform a Sony to a EMM DAC killer? To fool EMM, you got to do more than adding some black gate cap, external (low jitter) clock, changing op-amp.... and after spening hour of surfing, I could not find any picture of the mod. I started searching for picture of TRL internal amp, preamp and atlast I found one for sale on Ebay. The picture worth millions word! Yes I would be stupid to post these kind of picture trying to sell the preamp (and what a price!), but I would not hesitate to post any picture of any scam artist trying to fool honnest audiophile spending their hard earned cash. It is sad that high end audio are filled with scam artists, I went to CES 2009 and hear Audio Note (UK) equipment in their room, $90K Ongaku amp (the UK not Japan), $53K speaker, I was amazed how ****ty the system sounded, then a friend of mine show me how Wes Phillips of "Stereofool" raved about the same system, I am just shaking my head.

DO NOT SUFFER FOOL !!!!!

Have you ever heard about the people who fall victim to Nigerian email scams who, despite having lost thousands, still think the person they dealt with was honest?

If you're not on the TRL payroll, you need to give some serious thought to the possibility that you, yourself were scammed.

That preamp is a disaster. Most first time builders do a better job. Further, there isn't more than about $200 of parts in there. Maybe a little more, depending on the attenuators. But the work is so godawful, I can't believe anyone bought that, at any price. If someone was clearing it out at a garage sale for $50, I'd pass. I'd have to rebuild the entire thing to feel comfortable with it plugged in.

Feb 4, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #99 of 170
Quote:

DO NOT SUFFER FOOL !!!!!

You can go away it's going beyond funny now.

Feb 4, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #100 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're not on the TRL payroll, you need to give some serious thought to the possibility that you, yourself were scammed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huxley /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can go away it's going beyond funny now.

We must be reading this differently. The impression I get is that he thinks TRL is a scam factory, and that these pics prove it all the further. I don't see anything in his post that suggests that he has any faith in this guy, or that he has purchased a TRL product.

Just my 2c.

Feb 4, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #102 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

c5e1_3.JPG

Usually, amp builders make the effort for point to point wiring to cross at 90 degree angles to reduce interference (one of the wires above what looks like the choke is like that in the picture, but that is about the only one). Not including the red jacketed output and input wires, there are a lot of stray lengthy wires dipping and curling over the place, few really twisted or braided to reduce interference either which also shows the component placement doesn't seem very planned. The auction explains this as:

Quote:

...his unique randomized wiring technique for no resonances. The insides may look chaotic, but it was all deliberate to eliminate any ghosting of the signal. An entrancing sound.

randomized wiring technique? Random and yet all deliberate at the same time, that is amazing. Either way, it seems pretty nasty.

That red heat shrink/tape around the black goop also can't be good for the life of the tubes, seems like he is trying to dampen them but this is probably over insulating them into overheating. Those left and right tube boards don't seem to be in parallel with the rest of the enclosure or themselves. I was going to bash the poor workmanship of the enclosure for being so cheap with a possible wooden bottom panel and not flush top panel, homemade badly stained wood knobs that overlap the panel text, and glued on faceplate, but according to the auction, this was at the builders request to save on the four thousand dollar used mess that we see on the inside. This is ridiculous.

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #103 of 170
Quote:

Originally Posted by upstateguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif

"Oh, so that's where I stuck my gum."

Quote:

Originally Posted by .coco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh my god, this guy's work is epic. I literally laughed out loud when I saw the internals of the OP's amp, and the ebay amp. This is bigger fail than a heart failing during cardiac arrest.

To the defenders who will not take pictures of the "patent pending" details.... Are you aware that anybody can look up a parent and see exactly what it is through the USA Patent Office? This is the only way that people can make sure they are not infringing on other patents. You taking a picture of what has already been documented by the Patent Office, is not saving anybody, so you are protecting nothing, other than shoddy work, which should probably never be patented in the first place.

On second though, "shoddy" does not really cut it.. Actually, "work" doest even cut it..

Yeah, that's always amused me too... but I suppose enough people don't know anything about patents that that line actually works most of the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That preamp is a disaster. Most first time builders do a better job.

A blind monkey could probably do a better job than that.

Feb 4, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #104 of 170
Unfortunately, all of you are clueless, and I can tell from your avatars that you have not actually heard this preamp.

Don't you know the only objective measure of quality is hearing something yourself? After buying it?

Feb 5, 2009 at 5:52 AM Post #105 of 170
I did not purchase any TRL product, and never will in a million years. I attach the Ebay link to show everybody what TRL preamp internally made off (couldn't load the pictures, so I attached the link). There is no excuse for slopiness.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We must be reading this differently. The impression I get is that he thinks TRL is a scam factory, and that these pics prove it all the further. I don't see anything in his post that suggests that he has any faith in this guy, or that he has purchased a TRL product.

Just my 2c.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back