Saying Goodbye to a Companion
Jul 12, 2007 at 11:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

Absorbine_Sr

Can Jam '10 Organizer
We had to have one of our greyhounds put to sleep last night. We've been pet owners for over twenty years, and have done this numerous times, but man, it just never gets easier.

This handsome boy came off the racetrack with the name Crystal Twist. We had just lost an older greyhound to hip problems. The head of the local greyhound rescue group, and a good friend, just showed up at our door with this guy.

twist1.jpg

twist2.jpg

He walked in, sniffed the other 2 dogs, and proceeded to lay down & go to sleep, 5 minutes after he walked in. We figured he knew he was home.

We shortened the name to Twist, and added variations- Mr. Twister, Twisty Bits, Twist & Shout. But most notorious was Linoleum Boy. Seems Mr. Twist was deathly afraid of linoleum. So much so that most visits to the Vet resulted in me carrying 75 lbs. of dog into the office & exam room. But funny enough, when it was time to leave, ol' Linoleum Boy could walk just fine on that slick floor.
biggrin.gif
Get me outta here!

About a month ago, Twist developed a limp. Not unusual in greyhounds as they do run & get banged up. But this one didn't go away. A trip to the Vet and our worst fears were confirmed - bone cancer in a rear leg. There were options - amputation, chemo, radiation. We looked into it, but realized we were being selfish. Months of anguish to try and prolong his life might only add 6 months to his life, and unlike a human who can understand they are suffering in attempt to get better, all he would know is that he felt like hell every day. So we elected to go the pain killer route, make him comfortable and love him till the end. We revelled in the six years we were allowed to enjoy his company, and yesterday the time came. He could no longer stand long enough to eat, couldn't get up to go outside. I got one last chance to carry him into the Vet's office. He went to sleep in our arms. That leg won't pain him anymore, and I suspect he is right now chasing a bunny or digging a hole, his favorite pasttimes.

You folks who have dogs or cats or hamsters or whatever, give them a treat in honor of Mr. Twist. He was a gentle soul wrapped in fur, and we are going to miss him terribly.

Mike

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #2 of 42
Very sorry for your loss, animals can be so easy to love. Best wishes.

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #6 of 42
My sympathies as well. Twist was a great looking pup, and I'm sure an incredible companion.

Seems like we've lost a few loved pets here recently. Very sorry to see this, in my case and others.....

Jul 12, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 42
Your compassion to your pet is humbling. It shows a measure of who you are and how you believe in stewardship of God's creatures. Good story and thank you for sharing. I think you will be licked by Mr. Twister once again when you get home. He just had to go ahead to find a little mischief while he waits.

A fellow hoosier and dog lover.

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:03 AM Post #10 of 42
sad but a nice story about how he came into your family. All of my dogs from my childhood are gone but i still think about them.

RIP Twist.

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #11 of 42
I had to put down my dog last year. I moved out of my parents house and he stayed there...but he was my dog. We had him from the time I was 7 years old until 24...man it was hard. Like you said you've been there before so you know it's hard but I'm sure you gave him a good life...

sorry for your loss...he was a great looking dog...

Jul 13, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #15 of 42
I'm very sorry for your loss A_Sr. He was beautiful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back