Say hello to the n0__ob
Jul 29, 2011 at 5:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

iElmer

New Head-Fier
I have been a lurker for some time but decided to make it official today.  Looking forward to having robust discussion about everything and anything.  

Some of my stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #3 of 6
I see the rods on your sr80 are extended nearly all the way out.  From this I can deduce that you must have a huge head and therefore a massive IQ.  Share your wisdom with those of us who (whom?) are less evolved.

My gut tells me whom is correct here, but my rods are pushed all the way in; I certainly can't be trusted with such an important query.

Jul 31, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 6
That is a beautiful setup you have there my friend, I really am interested in your thoughts on Grado vs Sennheiser. Remember that the SR-325 is the one that compares to the 650 haha!

Jul 31, 2011 at 2:45 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the welcome guys, and yes, my noggin is big
biggrin.gif
.  I consider the 80i's and the 650's my Ying and Yang and I love them both, each achieving certain abilities better than the other.  Rather than saying this can is better than the other, I would rather compare them on how a musical piece is interpreted.  I've chosen three pieces, in my opinion, defines the Grado's and the Sennheiser really well.

Straight, No Chaser by Thelonious Monk:

This piece is all horns and the Grado's rule.  The trumpets, sax, and the trombones are easily separated throughout the piece, and when Theo starts on the piano, you can feel the complexity of this piece.  The bass is limited buy you can certainly feel the bass cello being plucked by Larry Gales.  You actually do feel like you are in a smoky jazz room babysitting your Macallan while enjoying the performance.

Dream Is Collapsing by Hans Zimmer.  Inception Soundtrack

This piece evokes paranoia and a sense of urgency.  It is an intense piece, and the 650's characterizes it beautifully.  Think of it as a thinking mans version of the Jaws theme.  It starts off light and it gradually consumes you with the woodwinds and the brass  while the strings are trying to make its point.  If the hair is not standing up on the back of arm around the 1:30 mark, you are not in a dream within a dream.

Ka' Ena by The Brothers Cazimero

A soothing song, uncomplicated.  All you have are the vocals, acoustic and bass guitar and I guess that's why both phones interpret the song almost on an equal basis, the Senn's has a little more emphasis on the bass.  The song is sung in Hawaiian and it gives you a very peaceful feeling.

Well, that's my take on the performance of my headphones.  You ask, which is my favorite?  Which ever one is in arms reach
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 31, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 6
Yeah the Grados don't have enough weight to really bring out the music that you preferred the Senns on, the SR-225 is better at this type of thing, but it's still more of the same, just better haha.

You really seem to have the sound signature thing down!

Go out and get some 225's! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back