Saving Portaphile "juice"
Mar 16, 2010 at 9:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

tnmike1

Headphoneus Supremus
There's been a recent resurrection of Portaphile interest on these threads of late. We've discussed batteries and their longevity in this power-eating amp, and Cesar has stated he has enough parts to build only a few more. I just recently bought another Portaphile, having sold my original one a year or so ago--kicking myself ever since.

Now that I have my "baby" back, I'm reading about various switching configurations. So here's the question:

How much SQ do I miss by switching the biasing "off"?
How much battery life do I pick up vs. how much SQ islost??
Any other tricks y'all are using to extend battery life (turning off the "on" light or switching "off" wide bandwidth for example)

Just want to tweak this guy a little. Have the iPower 9.6v battery which is wonderful and I think some others have gone to the LiPo rechargeables. So my thought is: combine these batteries with some "juice-savings" techniques and maybe we can have an amp that isn't quite the battery-whore I think it is

Mar 17, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 8
If i remember correctly, i think its the bandwidth switch that sucks up all the juice, but its not a huge difference to switch it out and save juice. I printed the switches page on the website so i have a record of the switches in case the site ever comes down.
Anyone with a Portaphile should print a copy of the switches page, unless they have a good memory. I leave mine maxxed anyway

I hope Cesar tries making Portaphiles with Nichelon caps or Panasonic or something to see how it sounds. Should be fine really. It would be nice to continue making these. I hope the Shohin comes about soon!!!

www.portaphile.com

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 8
My recollection is that Cesar used Nichicon's (I believe), and introduced use of Blackgates in Portaphile when he introduced the Maxxed version........anyhow a very good amp - particularly when some 'phones need bass help.

Mar 17, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #4 of 8
Just got 2 e^3 500mah lithium batteries. Im gonna see how long my Maxxed works with them
smily_headphones1.gif

All the switches are on max position for maximum battery eating.

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #5 of 8
Ok, 8:54pm est....just started listening to the Portaphile Max....so ill see how long it lasts.
Sounds so good
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:09 AM Post #6 of 8
2:08am still playing........

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #7 of 8
3:03am still playing
eek.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:17 AM Post #8 of 8
Ok...3:14am finally died
smily_headphones1.gif

So 8:54pm to 3:14am Rounded to about 6 hours, and i have 2 batteries, so 12 hours.
Thats long enough to play all day and charge at night. And i got the Tomahawk for trips cuz it lasts like 400 hours, so im set.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back