Meh. SATs are worthless, what matters is what envelope you get on december 15th
icon10.gif

-_-

Nov 29, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #47 of 141
When I took it:

CR: 680
Math: 800
Total: 1480

I graduated high school with a 4.67 weighted GPA and already had over 60 units of college credit from taking night classes at my local community college... yet for some reason UCLA didn't accept me... oh well, I like UCSD better.....
plainface.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #48 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATAT
what matters is what envelope you get on december 15th

Or, in some people's cases, what tube you get...

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #49 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Debaser86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I took it:

CR: 680
Math: 800
Total: 1480

I graduated high school with a 4.67 weighted GPA and already had over 60 units of college credit from taking night classes at my local community college... yet for some reason UCLA didn't accept me... oh well, I like UCSD better.....
plainface.gif

Wow, how did you gradute with a 4.67! All AP courses? Or are you on a different scale?

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:16 AM Post #50 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
3 for 3 but mommy wanted her first born and first off to university close to home so I succumbed to the pressure and went (at the time) Canada's top univeristy which was only 1 hr away. However, I told her I would not do that again and when grad school came for discussion, I went to MIT.

and if i didnt remember wrongly u are a lawyer now?

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #51 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Konig /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and if i didnt remember wrongly u are a lawyer now?

Kinda, I mean I am a lawyer, but I don't really practice. I'm still in school. Doctorates.

Nov 29, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #52 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, how did you gradute with a 4.67! All AP courses? Or are you on a different scale?

He said it was a weighted GPA. If it's like my high school, the weighted GPA scale is out of 5.0 (AP classes out of 5.0, advanced classes out of 4.5, and regular classes out of 4.0)--it makes it significantly easier to graduate with a devilishly high GPA.
icon10.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #53 of 141
in 1999 i scored 1360 which for me was good considering my grades were mainly B's and C's in high school. actually now that i think about it i dont think i would have been accepted to a decent college without the SAT score, they may not be totally representative of us as people but they do help with school admissions non-the-less.

i'm really impressed that so many people here scored high

Nov 29, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #54 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by skyline889 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
At our school we were required to take the SATs in seventh grade, it was for some Hopkins thing don't really remember what it was called. I did pretty good but idk, I thought it seemed a bit stupid that we had to take it at that age. I scored in the mid 1400s (Which was only a little better than average) but somehow I've dumbed myself down over the years, as I found the PSAT quite hard
biggrin.gif

Wow, ok. It doesn't seem very effective to require students to take it before the average kid has learned the material, but I suppose there's some valid reason. And Flamerz, that's pretty impressive. I'm only 18 myself, but I'm glad I'm done with SAT's. Now I've got finals week to worry about... Fun stuff. College is a lot harder than high school for me, and no, the SAT's don't do a thing to prepare you for it.

Nov 29, 2006 at 7:55 AM Post #55 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by wax4213 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, ok. It doesn't seem very effective to require students to take it before the average kid has learned the material, but I suppose there's some valid reason. And Flamerz, that's pretty impressive. I'm only 18 myself, but I'm glad I'm done with SAT's. Now I've got finals week to worry about... Fun stuff. College is a lot harder than high school for me, and no, the SAT's don't do a thing to prepare you for it.

Is it possible for high schs in USA to standardize their cirriculum in high sch and make every1 in the nation take a common exam? That shld scrap the need for a lot of standardized test (but create alot of nightmares for students lolx)

Nov 29, 2006 at 8:01 AM Post #56 of 141
Quote:

Is it possible for high schs in USA to standardize their cirriculum in high sch and make every1 in the nation take a common exam? That shld scrap the need for a lot of standardized test (but create alot of nightmares for students lolx)

Edit: If you're talking about a standardized curriculum, it's a bad idea. Different schools in different areas cater to different types of people (Both mentally, and financially). Also, if a standard curriculum were to be put in place, the private schools would be hindered by the requirements to keep within public school budgets. Vice-versa, some public schools would have to hustle for funding to have the same curriculum and activities as private schools, which would ultimately mean higher taxes for us.

Nov 29, 2006 at 8:34 AM Post #57 of 141
Thankfully though, we don't have a common curriculum. There are basic things taught pretty much nation-wide (assuming you go to a public school, and even private schools usually cover the same info), but there's no specific national curriculum. I like it this way, and one curriculum tailored to the test would primarily serve to pass the test, I like to think that our education system has an emphasis on knowledge and wisdom, not just passing the SAT's. That's not always the case, but it's a good thought :-D.

Nov 29, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #58 of 141
Quote:

standard curric would be a terrible idea. Some students want to/can learn faster than others, and some schools don't have the funding to offer courses that others can, etc. etc.

Nov 29, 2006 at 9:33 AM Post #59 of 141
Standard curriculum would be a baaaaaad idea. As a sophomore at my school, you get three choices for science. One is really hard, one is sort of hard, and one is extremely easy. None are AP or honors, and they all show up the same on the transcript, so people's choices are based on how seriously they take academics. I took the extremely easy one, because I'm lazy like that. Let me tell you, the teacher treats us like we're in kindergarten. I have yet to learn anything in that class, and we've already passed a quarter of the year. Heck, she taught us exponents of 10 at some point. She also taught us negative exponents of 10, but she stated it differently, to avoid confusion. Now AP Euro on the other hand, that's one of the hardest AP courses at my school. I only see a couple people from my ecology class taking AP Euro. And the ones that do are mostly people like me. Lazy, putting the effort where it matters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back