SAT Scores!
Nov 28, 2006 at 5:44 PM Post #16 of 141
The new SAT was offered since March 2005, so I just want to let those people who didn't know this earlier, this was not a new thing.

Wikipedia has a comprehensive article on the drawbacks of SAT, in case anyone is interested.

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #17 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2250?? Back when I took the SAT the max score was 1600, what's the max score now?

Yeah me also.
Math 800
Verbal 780

Most people don't think I actually scored that but I do not care. I was acepted into every University I applied to but accepted UNC Chapel Hill due to my military station. My GPA was not as good as I wished but still graduated with a 3.85 from undergrad.

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #18 of 141
I would seriously kill you for those scores lol.
Guess having a life compensates for my low SAT scores... SAT is not the end of the world... stop stressing over it so much and concentrate on the real world.

Nov 28, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #19 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would seriously kill you for those scores lol.
Guess having a life compensates for my low SAT scores... SAT is not the end of the world... stop stressing over it so much and concentrate on the real world.

Exactly. SAT scored and GPA's do not give real world performance indicators.

I have met quite a few 3.5 GPA+ in my Engineering classes who are the most inept people to ever use a lab.

Nov 28, 2006 at 8:13 PM Post #20 of 141
I took both versions, got a 1360 on the old and a 2100 on the new, I really don't remember what my scores were for each section, but they were all fairly close to one another. In my opinion, the writing section is not a good addition. You have to write a full essay in 25 minutes, and while there may be some situations where this is a necessary skill, I've never run into it except for on that test. I still have a lot of schooling and life to go through, so maybe that will change. However, the AP Language Arts test allows you 40 minutes per essay, and I believe we had to write 3 for that test. 40 minutes is better than 25, but still short. Personally, I'd take the analogies over an essay. It's also impossible to completely objectively grade an essay, thereby limiting its ability to be a truly standardized test.

Nov 28, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #22 of 141
Wow, the guys who posted have very impressive scores.

I should have done so much better. If only I didn't doze off every 15-30 minutes. No studying and Starcraft until 7AM with the test beign at 8 is a horrible feeling. I was so tired.

I totally forgot about the SAT's. It was like, 6AM and I was on BNET with some friends and they said to me, don't you have SAT's today? I checked the letter and I was like, indeed I do... Lets get 1 more game in before I have to go. =]

Nov 28, 2006 at 9:54 PM Post #23 of 141
I didn't do anywhere near as well as I wanted when I took them last spring. My excellent excuse is that I was horribly sick, having a nasty cold while taking the SAT stinks. I had 600 math and 680 reading if I recall correctly.

Nov 29, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #26 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by hYdrociTy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i got 720 on both verbal and math.. back in the 1600 days...whoever said sat performance is not a real world indicator of performance, you're damn right it isnt...

ap test on the other hand. Ap in highschool made freshman year of college so easy.

Nov 29, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #27 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ap test on the other hand. Ap in highschool made freshman year of college so easy.

Yeah College.... I'm talking about the REAL world. If you happen to think college is liek the real world, boy you are gonna have a heart attack.

Nov 29, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #29 of 141
I'm really good at schoolwork (all As), except SATs are hard for me... Especially since they put in two new writing section
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 29, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #30 of 141
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason for the scoring change was that California threatened to ignore SAT I scoring if the College Board didn't make changes. Apparently "disadvantaged minorities" and girls didn't score well enough on the SAT I for California's liking.

So it was reformatted to drop analogies (where "disadvantaged minorities" performed poorly) and add a writing section (the only section where girls perform better than their boys).

I don't know why schools don't just move to IQ testing and be done with it.

Because aptitude tests are more highly-correlated with college GPA than intelligence tests.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back