SAT scores came....
Apr 25, 2006 at 1:19 AM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by imho
Yikes...

Let's see, when did I take the SATs...oh right, 1987...duh...LOL.

Hey, that's the year I was born... cool
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #33 of 50
I did fairly well but others in my school have done better. I don't like comparing standardized test scores. All they says it that you know 2+2=4. I have met people that do extremely well on the ACT but have no common sense. I would even call them stupid to put it bluntly. I am a firm believer that everything you need to know you learn in kindergarten. A good worth ethic and a personality will get you much farther than book smarts. But maybe I'm just trying to rationalize it to myself.

Apr 25, 2006 at 1:27 AM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
Oh god... SATs... I have to take SAT in June. I'll be so happy to score over 600 on any of the sections... English is my 2nd language so vocab part is HARD as hell.

hard for me too, even though english is my first language. I just don't read a lot and don't know enough advanced vocabulary

Apr 25, 2006 at 1:29 AM Post #35 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MuZI
Hey, that's the year I was born... cool
smily_headphones1.gif

[size=large]DON'T EVEN GO THERE!
mad.gif
[/size]

Apr 25, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #36 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
hard for me too, even though english is my first language. I just don't read a lot and don't know enough advanced vocabulary

I don't read at all, and I'm not exceptional at verbal stuff by any means. However, I was able to study to a 760 verbal, so it can totally happen
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 1:41 AM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

[size=large]DON'T EVEN GO THERE!
mad.gif
[/size]

Its allright to admit that you are old...
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 2:05 AM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
Its allright to admit that you are old...
very_evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

Who are YOU calling OLD! Pffft...

Apr 25, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #39 of 50
Quote:

Who are YOU calling OLD! Pffft...

the person who took their SATs in 1987...
icon10.gif
tongue.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 3:00 AM Post #41 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by DieInAFire
the biggest difference is that it's longer, which can get really painful.

Painful is a 5 hour IB HL Math test and 5 hour IB HL Physics test. Then talk to me...
tongue.gif

Apr 25, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #42 of 50
I took ACT a year after I moved to U.S. and only scored 19 out of 36. According to the description in the back of my ACT scorecard, a student that scored in this range will be a medicore student in college and will have a very difficult time graduating.

Four years later, I graduate in the top 10% of my engineering class and was selected to join Golden Key, and Chi Epsilon (Civil Engineering Honor Society). I also managed to earned 5 semester of deanlists, and 2 semester of president lists. I later finished my Master Degree in Structural Engineering couple of years later w/o any problem. I also passed the FE exam w/o preparation and will be eligible for PE exam in a couple of years.

IMO, ACT, SAT, GRE, and others test scores are not a true indication in life. If you willing to study and work hard, you should be able to accomplish and over come many things in life. However, in my case, English was/is my main obstacle.

Apr 25, 2006 at 3:20 AM Post #43 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
I took the old one, got a 1600.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, same here. Well, 2400, but same thing.
tongue.gif

Dude, Tennisets! I went to Evanston today for Preview NU! Damn, I should have tried to hook up with one of you folks during my visit. I got a chance to go around the place on the guided tours and whatnot. I was actually really surprised by how beautiful the place was. I arrived at around 9 AM and left at 5 PM. Great day.

Apr 25, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #44 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Veniogenesis
Yeah, same here. Well, 2400, but same thing.
tongue.gif

Dude, Tennisets! I went to Evanston today for Preview NU! Damn, I should have tried to hook up with one of you folks during my visit. I got a chance to go around the place on the guided tours and whatnot. I was actually really surprised by how beautiful the place was. I arrived at around 9 AM and left at 5 PM. Great day.

Well you definitely chose a good day to come. The weather was great. Try coming back in the middle of winter.
tongue.gif

How did you like Northwestern?

Apr 25, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #45 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
Well you definitely chose a good day to come. The weather was great. Try coming back in the middle of winter.
tongue.gif

How did you like Northwestern?

Pretty good. It's got a very down-to-earth feel to it. I found the folks there to be friendly and simple; it's perfect since that is the way I like it.
tongue.gif
It's different from the other schools I'm considering in that it's what I call a good, well-balanced school. For example, Cornell basically entails hardcore studying, terrible mood (a lot due to the horrible weather), and amazing cafeteria food; it's a weird combination that doesn't strike me as something I would like to spend 4 years with. Duke on the other hand is filled with a "pompous" atmosphere that almost borders on being "arrogant or haughty". The weather is good and the campus life is amazing, but considering it's somewhat of a party school in the South, this swagger was to be expected.

I actually have yet to decide on the school I want to go to next year. Northwestern is being very generous towards me in terms of financial aid, so that is definitely a plus. I was considering Duke since I was rather interested in the biomedical engineering field, but they still haven't finalized my financial aid package, and at the rate they're going, I'm going to end up with a strikingly unfavorable deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back